Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Power Adders

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-10-2002, 02:11 AM
Inactive User

Help Turbocharger on a 340???

I have a 69 Barracuda 340 and have been thinking about putting a turbocharger on it. Since I would only be doing one turbo, I would put it on the passenger side since its much less cluttered over there. I was thinking of putting a pretty big turbo on it, so I could run less boost and produce more horsepower than a smaller one. And a V8 should be able to spool that turbo up real fast so lag shouldnt be too much of a problem.

I'm still real new in putting a practically custom turbo kit on an old V8 (I'm gonna pick up Maximum Boost one of these days). Would I be correct in saying that the exhaust on the drivers side would be as normal on an NA engine, just that the passenger side would be cut up and fabricated to fit the turbo? I also think I would need a different cam as that I am currently running a 280/474 MP purple cam right now. Also, would I need to switch to fuel injection? If so, what would you reccomend?

This car is a 100% daily driver as it sits, and would still need to have daily driver ability with the power adder.

I was thinking about putting the SDCE ATI Procharger kit, but it seems that would add up really quickly and end up being big bucks. I think a turbo system would be cheaper, but would be much harder to do and take a lot longer.
Old 07-10-2002, 02:25 AM
Inactive User

personally i would spring for a supercharger... less complicated to me.... plus, i like the look of sumthin big poking out the top of the hood

i don't mind advertising what i have either...i get all kinds of people asking to race, but they don't wanna pay...i don't race for free in case i break sumthin, and gas..

i don't know much about turbo's....good luck and keep us posted...i wouldn't mind adding another power add-on as long as my wallet (or my dads credit card ) could support it!
Old 07-10-2002, 08:21 AM
Inactive User

i think what people do on a v8 is put a smaller turbo on each side. this way, you have equal backpressure on both sides of the engine. also, smaller turbos spool up faster. so if you get two small ones pushing 5psi, they will wind up faster than one big one pushing 10psi
Old 07-10-2002, 08:50 AM
Inactive User

To run a single turbo you will still have to have both sides of the exhaust feeding it. Balance is important. I believe turbo cams have less overlap than a NA motor and the EFI will make the setup adjustable.

Some EFI links
http://www.turbofast.com.au/autronic/autronic.html
http://force-efi.com/
http://www.fuelairspark.com/
http://www.fuelinjection.com/
http://www.howell-efi.com/
http://www.kinsler.com/
http://www.rancefi.com/
http://www.speartech.com/
Old 07-10-2002, 09:18 AM
Banned

There is a member on this board that did this to a 360....he posted the pics of the aftermath... block split right up the center from the main caps to the cam.....
Old 07-10-2002, 09:26 AM
Inactive User

You need to do a lot of homework before you start. It is not rocket science, but you need to address lots of details. From what I have seen, very few homebuilt turbos are successful, and usually are on the street less than a year before people give up or destroy them. Be sure to get the Hugh McGinnis book Turbochargers, as well as Maximum Boost (which has some glaring errors in it). The McGinnis information and parts are dated, but his tech information is much better than Bells

This is a pic of our TT340, EFI, intercooled engine, that has been on the road since 1987.

http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/...1693540342.jpg
Old 07-10-2002, 10:38 AM
Banned

Now that's nice!!!!
Old 07-10-2002, 11:16 AM
Inactive User

Same page with Turbododge!

I have been doing quite a bit of research on turbocharging. I have several books on the subject and most often the personal opinion of the writers shades their ability to be objective.
The Hugh McGinnis book TURBOCHARGERS is a good no nonsense look at the science of turbocharging. BUT, have your calculator at hand because it is a numbers approach. It is a bit dated but the information is good for the sheer science of turbocharging.
The Corky Bell book Maximum Boost is a bit eaiser to grasp but much of it is shaded by his personal opinions rather than what is best for a certain application. Corky pretty much called installing a turbo on a carb equiped car a bad indea. Hmm, what did they bolt their turbos to before fuel injections?
Also I have talked to several people that have installed turbo systems on vehicles and they where a stream of misinformation!
I had one guy tell me flat out that a single turbo on my 360 Ramcharger would not work and it would preform worse!

Do the hard reasearch yourself. Many people has spend untold piles of money researching turbocharging. That information isn't a secret. RESEARCH IT!
Don't let the complications scare you away. Keep in mind that a typical piston engine is about 33% efficent in using the heat it creates from combustion. HEAT (expanding gasses) is what creates the torque to drive the rear wheels. A turbo reclaims some of the lost heat energy. You CAN build a very powerful, reliable, and fuel efficent turbo setup for your car if you go about it right.
Old 07-10-2002, 11:39 AM
Inactive User

Default TURBODODGE....

Tell us more about your TT340 setup. What do you have it in? What does it run? You said "our", our being?
Do you have a website on it or more pics or something? I am fascinated just by seeing it and must know more
Old 07-10-2002, 12:43 PM
Inactive User

Put me with Turbododge and Dr. Righteous. I am currently designing a twin Turbo project. I have most of the problems "figured out" now as soon as I get the hard parts and actually see if they work together is another thing altogether. My biggest sticking point is the EFI setup. And of course the exhaust routing. I like to be different so..........

There is also a another memeber with a twin turbo 440. I haven't seen him in a while though.

84- whats up with your contacts on your site. Those are bad assed. I want contacts also. Looking for red but.. I like yours.
Old 07-10-2002, 01:45 PM
Inactive User

Lots of pipes, lots of wires, lots of heat - too much stuff for poor ole Doug. So much for the turbo project...
Old 07-10-2002, 01:46 PM
Inactive User

Oh, yeah... Also, lots of money!
Old 07-10-2002, 02:15 PM
Inactive User

Our is me and the girlfriend, she watches gauges and programs the EFI on the fly as we drive and test.

It is a 340, 8 to 1, 2.02 heads, special cam, sst valves, two Garrett turbos (rebuilds) to specification, Tial wastegates, Garrett intercooler, Speedpro EFI, Varijection water injection, 14 psi boost currently. Totally homebuilt in my garage. It has been carbed and now on its second EFI setup. It is in a 70 Challenger "canyon carver" style with a Richmond 5 speed. We have put almost 40K miles on the base engine at this point. It has not been run in the 1/4, as it is not setup for it, and it launches terribly.

It sounds as if the good Dr. is getting ready to give it a try, and has been doing his homework. My only recommendation would to be to NOT try it with a carb. With the availablility of EFI now, it is not worth the trouble and the compromises. I have built a suck through, and two blow through setups for the street, and got them to run fairly well, but I would not even consider it again for a street car. On the strip, a carb is O.K. and not tough to tune.

We have about $25K in the entire car over 15 years, which includes many things that have been done and changed several times. I would guess I could duplicate it from scratch for about $15K or less. Probably would be $5 to 7K in the complete engine, tubos, controls and accessories.

The TT440 you are thinking of is "Feets" who was here for a while, but now hangs out at another board. He is currently changing to EFI and replacing blown head gaskets. He has had a bunch of trouble getting it wrung out.
Old 07-10-2002, 02:38 PM
Inactive User

I have been looking for an Edelbrock Varijection water injector for some time. Any ideas on where to get one - in good shape and at a reasonable price???
Old 07-10-2002, 02:46 PM
Inactive User

pro charger

Doug i have a complete pro charger for a small block 318 340 360 plus msd retard,boost fuel reg..... I'll sell the hole thing for 1000. plus shipping ......it's a p600 Pro charger set up..email me if you want more info......Lee.....
Old 07-10-2002, 03:02 PM
Inactive User

Lee - I'd like to see photos of it, but I don't have the $ now. What I am looking for is the VariJection water injection unit.

Thanks from... Doug
Old 07-10-2002, 03:03 PM
Inactive User

I picked up a Varijection for parts at a swap a few years ago, but haven't been looking much lately. They show up regularly on E-bay, but aren't exactly cheap.
Old 07-10-2002, 03:39 PM
Inactive User

Thanks, turbo. They usually sell on eBay for $150+, and that's more than my budget, unfortunately.
Old 07-10-2002, 10:13 PM
Inactive User

yeah, I did the twin turbo thing, and had a few problems.. namely splitting my block in half. it was a learning experience. what i learned, is don't just straight into 12 pounds of boost on a 9.0:1 engine.. lol oh well lesson learned.. next time, I'll do much better... anybody have a magnum short block for cheap????
Old 07-11-2002, 02:43 AM
Inactive User

Lee Pritchard - the complete SDCE ATI Procharger setup??? What all is included???? Intercooler??? I'm really interested, e-mail me at cuda6pak440@cs.com