Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! (http://www.moparchat.com/forums/index.php)
-   Performance Talk (http://www.moparchat.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Racer Brown cam $? (http://www.moparchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68292)

Mc Cormick 03-23-2003 10:55 PM

Racer Brown cam $?

I am considering a Racer Brown cam for my next 440. I am a Chet Herbert fan, but I do not know if he grinds his cams on a Mopar base circle. I know that the last Herbert cam I bought performed really well until I broke the dowel pin off of it. I am looking to upgrade to a 3-bolt timing set and a very hot street profile solid lifter valvetrain this time. Chet gave me a quote of $167 for a camshaft and lifter set. If Brown is close to that on price, I may consider one of his camshafts. Can someone give me an idea of what I can expect to pay?:confused:

dave571 03-23-2003 11:52 PM

That sounds close to me. Why don't you give them a call?

The numbers in the ultimate phone book

Or Email Don at Fbo. He'll know

www.4secondsflat.com

bigdaddy@4secondsflat.com

That's two posts in a row that I've plugged Don. I'm going to have to hit him up for a kickback or something LOL

The Dartman 03-24-2003 06:03 PM

Sounds low to me.

Jim stated that my 510/292 small block cam and lifters will be somewhere in the $225 range.

Dartman

dave571 03-24-2003 11:08 PM

Sorry that is low. I thought you meant 167 for the cam only.:(

dkn1997 03-24-2003 11:42 PM

money is money. To me, 65 bucks is a lot of money. But, when you take into acount the total costs to build a motor, buy all the aftermarket parts like piston/ carbs / intakes / headers/ etc...., an extra 65 bucks is chump change. I would not pick a cam based on price. It would be a different story if top of the line cams were 500 bucks and decent ones were 200. then you could make a case for saving major dollars. skimp somewhere else if you must, but not with a part that will have such a drastic effect on your performance. if you want to go with the herbert cam because you trust them and had good luck with the last one you ran, great, but I would hate to see you unhappy with your next motor because you wanted to save a few bucks.

451Dakota 03-25-2003 10:55 PM

Believe me that Chet Herbert cams are no slouch. I saw the first engine with a Chet cam, and it spun up like a raped ape. The throttle response was excellent, as was mid/upper range performance. The only reason that it failed was his poor choice of a one bolt timing set, and some suspected faulty valvesprings. The engine has since broken a Mopar 292/480 cam, so he is suspecting valvesprings. You should research Chet Cams, dkn--they are a lot like Brown--custom ground for your application from a small operation. He actuall invented the roller camshaft from what I hear. Who knows what he will buy, but I would say that Chet makes some really good products at a competitive price.

dkn1997 03-25-2003 11:18 PM

I hope you don't think I was trying to say that herbert cams are inferior in some way, because that is not what I meant at all. In fact, I know very little about them, or racerbrown except that both will custom grind a cam for you.

I was trying to say that when choosing one of the most important parts for your motor, and you are considering two different ones that are pretty close in price, then price alone should not determine which one you pick.

I will look into herbert cams, though, because I am considering a cam change and don't want to have to choose from some off the shelf grind. thanks for the tip, and how do you contact him?

Kevin

pishta 03-26-2003 11:15 AM

I used a CHet Herbert cam in my first 273/318 buildup. I though I was pulling the tires through the crosswalk it had so much lowend. I think Chet actually helped me at the desk at his shop in Anaheim, he is an older guy in a wheechair, right? Anyway, it was a fine cam, his grinder was a manual one in the back so I cant really put him up their with the big boys on CNC quality and someone on this board thinks the manual cam grinder went out with the point style ignition, saying the lobe to lobe uniformity was not real good. I think Henry Ford had Rollers in the Model T, they go way back. As for a modern roller that utilizes all the fast rates, that might be a newer innovation.

deadhorse66 03-27-2003 07:39 PM

Cool, pishta! Another Chet fan! DKN, I think you can find his number atCHET HERBERT . I saw the car beforehand too, and it was awesome, and it really took a nosedive when the Mopar cam got swapped for it. I haven't seen too many streetable 440s with that kind of throttle response. I just don't know if the Herberts are ground on a Mopar base circle.:confused: If they aren't, that is what will sell me on a Brown.