Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! (http://www.moparchat.com/forums/index.php)
-   Performance Talk (http://www.moparchat.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Carter Fuel Pump Mystery (http://www.moparchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91726)

crusinpapa 07-05-2005 01:58 PM

Carter Fuel Pump Mystery-Solved

I just got a brand new Carter Mechanical Fuel Pump from Summit. It is the Street Strip version for a 440 engine. P/N CRT M6903. After installation on the vehcile everything appeared to okay. After 20 minutes of idle or driving the engine quite. There was no fuel getting to the carbs. Went through all the usuaul stuff, filter, lines intank sock and found nothing. So I took the new fuel pump off and installed a known good one and the problem appears to be corrected.

My curiosity got to me and I took apart the new Carter Pump. In the lower part valve side of the pump I found a piece of black foam about a 1/2 inch square below the seal between the valves. Never seen this in a pump before and just wondering if anyone else has ran into this problem. Goes to show ya just because it is new doesn't mean it is good.

rumblefish360 07-05-2005 05:18 PM

Sorry to hear of this. Sorry I don't know what it could be. Send it back for a new one. I never had one apart.

crusinpapa 07-05-2005 05:41 PM

Just a Mystery

rumblefish360.......Thanks for your comments. In the past it was possible to rebuild fuel pumps and I never did one were there was this piece of foam to replace. I was just curious if anyone else has experienced this or did carter add it to the pump for a reason. The foam kinda looks like a packageing piece where the parts are on the assembly line where the pump is put together.

If the foam does not belong there, then it would make some sense for the engine to quite after 20 minutes or so. The foam probadly expanded from heat and pushed the seal into th output valve restricting the flow of fuel to the carbs. Then when it cooled down fuel would flow again.

Just can't think of any good reason for the foam inside the pump.

riverside 07-05-2005 06:48 PM

fuel pump/Rumble Fish

Rumble; You been getting any lately??? Your coming across a little testy!!

Dick 07-05-2005 09:13 PM

Why fool around and speculate. Call Carter first, then Summit, to see about returning it for credit or a new pump. They may squeak because you took it apart, but it didn't work in the first place. :drool:

pishta 07-05-2005 09:22 PM

took one apart years ago and no such foam, put it back together and burn rubber...Why hassle with a return when you know what you have for sure now?

charger_dan 07-06-2005 12:47 AM

the foam is normal. i have the same pump, with the same foam.
most likely a cheap baffle/anti-foam device. ghetto engineering
at its finest.

it's not impossible that you've got a bad new pump. i had the same
thing happen to me a while back, only my 6903 put out too much
pressure and was flooding my holley. sent it back to summit for another
one, and problem stopped.

how's your fuel pump pushrod?

delshin 07-06-2005 01:53 AM

The Carter pump I have (for a small block) also has a foam piece. It provided some support to the lower rubber gasket in the discharge chamber of the pump. Being that it was below the lower gasket, it could not have blocked the discharge opening. Maybe a cheap attempt to keep the fuel pressure from fluctuating????

crusinpapa 07-08-2005 04:39 PM

Mystery Solved

I finally got throught to the Carter Tech Line. There is supposed to be a piece of foam in the bowl of the valve body assembly.

The valve body of the fuel pump is made up of two pieces. The upper piece, valve assembley has the check valves in it and the lower piece, bowl has two chambers in it. The chamber by the fuel inlet is seperated by the fuel passage into the second chamber. The second chamber is where the foam is placed. The only purpose of the piece of foam is to support the seal between the bowl and valve assembly during assembly.

In the pump I was having problems with the foam was improperly installed in the chamber by the fuel inlet and when assembled pushed the seal up into the outlet valve restricting the flow of fuel to the carbs. I installed the foam correctly in the second chamber, re-assembled the pump, and installed it. The pump works just fine now.

Thanks for all of your input guys, appreciate it. I hope this info will help anyone who may get a new Carter fuel pump and experiences the same problem.

delshin 07-08-2005 11:34 PM

crusinpapa
Do you know if they sell rebuild kits for these pumps. If you got the number to their tech department, could you post it. I'll give them a call.
Thanks for the update.
del

crusinpapa 07-09-2005 06:36 AM

Carter Tech Line

Carter is part of Federal Mogul. The Tech Line number is 800.325.8886. I not aware if rebuilds are available anymore. Good question for tech support.

delshin 07-12-2005 11:27 AM

UPDATE
Called the Tech support line. No fuel pump rebuild kits are being sold at this time.