Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! (http://www.moparchat.com/forums/index.php)
-   Performance Talk (http://www.moparchat.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Best Spark Plugs for 360? (http://www.moparchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70200)

Ajax 05-07-2003 12:39 PM

Best Spark Plugs for 360?

Am looking for some feedback on plugs. Will be doing a major tune up soon on my '97 Ram with 5.9L, and will be installing MSD components. I'm hoping for suggestions on most compatible and best performing plugs!

I've read a few opinions on different brands in past posts, but I'm always looking for more input, especially from those with a similar setup as mine!

fastmopars .inc 05-07-2003 09:14 PM

i run xr4 ngks in a 360 with 9.8 comp and msd ignition
12.6 @ 108

mtrv8n 05-07-2003 10:22 PM

I'm using Bosch +4, and I have a feeling I will never have to replace them...

dwc43 05-07-2003 11:17 PM

10.7 360 .030 800 thermoquad headers and all in a dirt car running msd 7al2 Champions at .050 gap. All you will ever need. There's a reason they all come stock with the best plugs already in them so why change. :D

fastmopars .inc 05-08-2003 12:08 AM

platinum plugs are not as good for racing

haha, you paid what, 10 bucks a plug? you know they aren't any better than a 2 dollar platinum ngk, right? its another gimmick, that 4 grounds shit.

dwc43 05-08-2003 12:40 AM

Who you talking to fastmopar. I aint never paid 10 a plug. 80 bucks now way. :D

mtrv8n 05-08-2003 06:14 AM

He's talkin to me, but they're on the car two years now, never fouled, no gapping, and no indexing....

Mopardad 05-08-2003 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mtrv8n
He's talkin to me, but they're on the car two years now, never fouled, no gapping, and no indexing....
My 95 Dodge Ram that I bought new in Oct. 94 still has the original Champions in & they have never been touched. I'm not planning changing them any time soon either.

amxauto-x 05-08-2003 04:47 PM

Quote:

My 95 Dodge Ram that I bought new in Oct. 94 still has the original Champions in & they have never been touched. I'm not planning changing them any time soon either.
Ditto. '98 SS/T.:D

fastmopars .inc 05-08-2003 05:26 PM

you know that plugs wear out...right? that you do have to change them, at regular intervals?
did you know a fresh set of plugs at the track is usually worth a tenth of a second?
guess what kind of gas milage that equates to...whatever, you pay more, not me.
the bosch platinum plus 4's are just a gimmick. they claim to have the hottest spark because they have 4 ground electrodes...uh...yeah, like there's 4 different sparks going on in there at the same time, right? the spark will just jump the gap between the ground that's closest to the electrode, because that's the easiest path for it to take...so, cut off all the other electrodes, and you will have the same performance with that plug.

platinum plugs are no good for a drag car looking for optimal tune because they burn too hot. one heat range on a platinum plug is equal to 2 or 3 different heat ranges on a copper plug.

champions, autolites, they are all good plugs, i run the ngks because that's what i have been running since my first set of new plugs, and have never had a problem.

Mopardad 05-08-2003 05:34 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by fastmopars .inc
[B]you know that plugs wear out...right? that you do have to change them, at regular intervals?
did you know a fresh set of plugs at the track is usually worth a tenth of a second?

Gee I never knew that I could spend so little money & pickup a tenth. It will never happen unless there is a problem with the plugs you replaced. as far as gas mileage goes why doesn't my mileage get worse if I haven't changed plugs. Spark plugs are not rocket science they either work or they don't.

jelsr 05-08-2003 05:57 PM

You will get about as many opinions for this as you would for "what's the best beer?" Any name brand plug of the proper heat range will push 100K in any of the later rigs with their thermonuclear ignition systems, unleaded fuel, and the "accurate to a hair on a gnats ass" injection setup.

6 packin 05-08-2003 09:03 PM

I agree with the above reply, also. Dont waste the money on split fire, or platnum plugs. Go get the .99 cent Autolites or Champions, with the proper heat range.

rumblefish360 05-08-2003 09:39 PM

Champs all the way, 1 range cooler for the hot rod.

JVMopar 05-08-2003 10:03 PM

I agree plugs are plugs. I've had bad luck with every brand. It's like everything else out there. The quality just isn't what it used to be. I wouldn't ever spend more than .99 for a plug.

mtrv8n 05-09-2003 01:04 PM

You guys are just cheap. Do you use dino oil instead of Synth because it's cheaper? Don't you use solid core wires that are way overrated for your ignition? Carbs that are way bigger than "recomended"? Highest octane available, even if your tuning doesn't require it? Speaking of ignitions, coils that produce enough spark to light your plugs from ten feet away?

Ok, its a gee gaw mentality, but if it's shinier, I buy it. We all saw the post about oil filters. Cmon, how many of us buy a Fram because it LOOKs better?? not anymore, eh?

dwc43 05-09-2003 01:13 PM

I dont use synthetic 'cause there is no advantage in usinng it only a diasadvantage in it's price. I dont use solid core wires due to rf noise that messes with the operation of the msd box. I never run too big a carb it kills low end throttle response and you loose hp. I only run the octane for the compression ratio I run in the car due to cost and performance advantage. The bigger race coil will actually put out less on a stock system since it does not have the power to overcome the race coils fill rate, so that's another disadvantage.

I tune for max power period, whether it be stock or full race or inbetween. The package must be balanced and all pieces must complement each other. Do not always go buy the shinny stuff you call it.Get informed and tune for your package or you will loose hp and get beat every time.

I still run Fram filters on all of my vehicles and race cars. I have never had a problem with them. I do not buy them cause they look good. I buy them 'cause the do the best job of keeping my engine clean from debris and metal. :D

mtrv8n 05-09-2003 01:31 PM

I absolutly agree..but about the Fram..got poor revues..

Ajax 05-11-2003 11:31 AM

Thanks for all the feedback folks! In the end it would seem a plug is a plug. I think the biggest thing to consider is proper gapping and selection. Always helps to know what others think though!