Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! (http://www.moparchat.com/forums/index.php)
-   Performance Talk (http://www.moparchat.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   DIY cam bearing install (http://www.moparchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118970)

pishta 03-28-2010 10:21 PM

DIY cam bearing install

Was trying to figure out how to do this at home because of the PITA getting a block to the machine shop by myself. Anyway, after trying to use a home made bolt draw-in style installer for the rear #5 bearing that didnt work, I had an ah-HA moment. Why not use a old camshaft to press the rear bearing in? Slip the bearing over the cam, thread in the cam so the other bearings are supporting it and use the gear on the SB cam as the drive. Tap it in with a 3 lb mallet. Worked perfect! All you need to remember is that the hole in the bearing MUST match the hole in the block. Put a bolt in the cam or hit with a brass mallet to prevent damage to the snout of the cam, but I had an old junker to use. Same principle with the correct tool (which I can actually borrow for the other 4 bearings from a mechanic I know). So if you ever have to replace the #5 bearing on a Sunday night here's how ! http://lh3.ggpht.com/_yIvgc11NGZk/S7...0/DSC02013.JPG I think you can do the same with the front by using the timing chain cog. Put bearing on cam, install cog and thread cam into block. The cam will keep the bearing straight and the cog will push the bearing flush into the block by driving the cam in by mallet. Slip the old bearing on the same cam and start all over to countersink the new bearing. The trick is to use the cam bearing race as the guide to keep the bearing square. If the hole doesn't line up, you can use a long drill bit through the #1 main to redrill the oil hole, Ghetto Garage 101!

pishta 04-03-2010 11:57 PM

Post Mortom: After installing all 5 bearings successfully with of all things a 2" expansion plug (!) 3/4 fender washer, a 1 inch socket on a 18" extension and a 3 lb sledge, my #2 bearing is binding on my cam. so much so that when I installed the cam, it actually pushed the bearing out of the #2 bore! So I backed up, removed the bearing and tried to slip it on the #2 journal on the cam. It goes almost exactly 3/4 way on and them binds. I have gone around the entire babbit with a knife and I cant seem to make it fit on the dang #2 journal. I know its the correct one as all the others are fine. Im about to run a sandpaper flapper wheel through it to open it up a bit but thought I would ask: Can I purchase a single cam bearing anywhere, specifically a 360 #2 bearing?

pishta 04-05-2010 12:36 AM

Closure: #2 is in and cam spins freely. Seems the bearing shell got tweaked when I installed it. After I pushed it out with the cam and found it not even fitting around the journal, I took a dead blow hammer and forced the bearing onto the journal as far as it would go by hand and commenced to tapping it around the entire circumference in an attempt to reform it back to its perfect circle. Well, seems it worked as it now can pass over the entire journal with just a slight drag. I hit the babbit with a scotchbright and it looks as good as new. So in hindsight, I would deffinately recommend attempting this at home using the following procedure:

1. Go to Home Depot and get the thickest 3/4 fender washer (shiny ones) you can find. They seem to vary in thickness.
2. Go to your favorite GOOD parts house and pick up a 2" expansion plug (for freeze plug repairs, has a neoprene puck on the backside and a nut to expand it, mine was gold and made in India, 6 bucks)
3. Get another fender washer that just fits under the nut on the expansion plug.
4. optional but recommended if you have a welder: a large nut that will fit your largest socket that is under 1 3/4 inches in OD. Tack weld this to the fender washer in #3 as close to centered as possible

Step 1) Remove rear cam freeze plug and tap out bearing shell with a punch. Pretty EZ once you find the edge of the bearing. Tap out from 3 places around the bearing to keep from cocking in the bore. Continue with the #4 bearing from the rear with a longer punch or piece of heavy allthread. Get the rest out from the front in whatever manner works. I didnt even put a mark on the cast iron bearing bores, they seem pretty tough.

Step 2) Put #1 bearing on neoprene puck of expansion plug. you might have to reduce the diameter of the puck on a grinder or sandpaper. It should slip on by hand. Tighten the expansion nut. Draw a line on the back of the expansion plug to note where the oil feed hole is. You should now have your installer. Put the large 1/2 drive socket you have over the large nut you tack welded on the fender washer and use a 6" 1/2" drive extension as a handle for your drive. Line up the oil hole indicator with the oil hole by looking on the back of the plug through the bore and noting the oil hole in the block. Keeping the handle straight, tap the #1 bearing into the bore with a hammer just like you would with the "$155 Universal cam bearing installer tool" until the expansion plug bottoms in the bore. loosen expansion nut and remove plug, Check alignment with wire through main bearing oil hole. Done with #1.

Step 3) Continue with this process for the 2, 3 and 4 using longer extensions or by connecting them. The trick here is to use the 3/4 fender washer as the centering guide off the #1 bearing just like the plastic cone on the expensive tool. Tape the fender washer across the #1 bore (itll pop out every time you smack the drive if you dont), itll almost countersink into the bearing. Now thread your extension through this "jig" and install loaded puck and socket from within the block. This works perfect!

Step 4) The #5 bearing is the easiest. Just install on end of cam and tap cam 1/4" past home with a wood block over nose. Monitor other bearings while you do this and stop if you see any pressing through. Make sure all oil holes line up with wire probe one more time. Cam should rotate by hand and not bind. If it does remove and look for shiny spots on babbit, clearance with bearing scraper or pocket knife. Scuffs/scratches heal easily with scotchbrite pads. Done deal and you never had to load the greasy 200lb bare block into your trunk or worse, Wife and kids spotless Minivan! This has been the Sunday night mechanic...Case closed...

dodger1 04-05-2010 12:00 PM

Thanks, pishta. How about a pix or 2 of the tool? You know, the "1000 word" kind. :)

pishta 04-05-2010 05:00 PM

Here are some photos: Forgot I used another 3/4 fender on back as support and nut/socket is a 15/16, fits right on 1/2 expansion nut:
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_yIvgc11NGZk/S7...0/DSC02123.JPG
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_yIvgc11NGZk/S7...0/DSC02129.JPG
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_yIvgc11NGZk/S7...0/DSC02131.JPG

John Kunkel 04-05-2010 06:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One of the simplest tools for reaming cam bearings is an old cam with a diagonal hacksaw slit in each bearing journal. The slits act as a reamer when the shaft is slowly turned while inserting it.

pishta 04-05-2010 08:02 PM

Now he tells me...Good one, John!