Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! (http://www.moparchat.com/forums/index.php)
-   Drag Racing Forum (http://www.moparchat.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Best cam manufacture (http://www.moparchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75933)

Mr.Sixpack 09-29-2003 02:15 PM

Best cam manufacture

Okay, I'm rebuilding my race engine, and I must try another roller cam manufacutre, not that the one I use is bad.
But I need to go faster then all my competitors ofcourse:rolleyes: Who doesn't:D

It's for my Super Stock engine, it is a 440 sixpack with ported 906 heads that flows around 300 cfm/intake and 245cfm/exhaust and it has 11.4:1 compression and a high crossram weiand intake.

Now I have a Lunati 305 intake and 318 exhaust full dur, and 272/276 @ .050
.669 intake and .627 exhaust lift with 1,5 rocker and I use 1,6 rockers so it's higher.
I got this cam from Dan Dvorak who helped me to calculate and talk to Lunati.

It has been a good cam and with a 10.38 et and 131.6 mph I was happy, now I want to go much faster with my 3600 lbs car.

But I now it has more to give.

Who do you recomend??

Thanks.

perfmachst 09-30-2003 01:23 AM

hello, try Bullet cams, ask for Bob cook. good luck:cool:

DartGT66 09-30-2003 02:48 AM

I would ask Scott Brown first. He is a member here, and we have been very satisfied with the cams he has designed. http://www.straightline-perf.com , his pages are not ready yet, guess he has had some other things to do.
Another thing I would try is to contact people who run or has built 440 six pack SS engines and ask their recmmondations.

Mr.Sixpack 09-30-2003 03:22 AM

Hi Guy's

It's like this, I just broke the secret codex by letting you know my cam spec, I have talked to one of the fastest SS sixpack racers in the USA and I don't know anything more now then before I talk to him.
I admit that I'm a rookie when we talk about SS but absolutly not when we talk about engine building, and I said to him that I'll pay him for his know how and his years of knowledgs, but no way.

It's so secret, but I will not ever race on the same continent so whats the problem.

Okay DartGT66 I will talk to Scott

Thanks

340king 09-30-2003 06:53 PM

Multiple Answers

Maybe its my split personality or my indecision, but you may need to get multiple copies of cams from several manufacturers. Quite simply put, the best anybody is going to do for you is get you in the ballpark. From there you will be responsible for getting the last little bit out of the car. This is where you will have to be anally scientific about your racing. You will have to record exactly what you do for each round. What the air is just prior and just after a pass, every little thing about the car and of course tune up. Then after you get a good baseline, you can start changing cams like underwear. Eventually you will find the right bumpstick. My machinist did just that for about 5 years. The payoff was a national record that held until they reindexed the class. He was running SS/F in a '70 Mustang 351C. Cam thrashes were a way of life. I would look into a set of Shubeck Lifters for that mission. They are transportable/reusable from cam to cam.

Mr.Sixpack 10-02-2003 05:50 AM

340King yes you are totaly right, guess what i've done, I have ordered 4 cams from 4 different companies.
I did a test in the computer and took the 4 best out of that, by the way Isky was best in the computer then my existing Lunati, then comp and crane.
The worst cam was Crower, but this is of shelf cams not a special grinds like my Lunati.

Thanks

DartGT66 10-02-2003 06:47 AM

And that's in a computer, not in the car and at the track! I also asked once from different companies about their cam recommendations, the question was pretty simple I think; to make the car as quick in the 1/4 as possible with the current engine and drivetrain and all the specs were included. I think I got six answers, and they were alla over. From 250 degrees @ .050 to 290 degrees and from under .6" lift to .75" lift. Didn't make the choice any easier!

Mr.Sixpack 10-02-2003 08:01 AM

DartGT66

But if you have a some idea of what kind of camshaft that will work for instans 275-290 @.050 and .600 to .780 lift then there are not so many to choose from.
And the program is only correct to 75-85%, but I have been as close as 1/10 or better with all my engines in this program, but it's absolutly nothing that I trust all out.
The more corect data you plugg in the closer to truth you will come, but never dead on.

Thanks.

Tom-Sweden 10-03-2003 06:27 AM

What programs are you using (all). ??
I have an early version of Engine Pro 1.2, but I am considering to buy a new dynoprogram.

Mr.Sixpack 10-03-2003 08:03 AM

Tom my friend

I use Dragstrip Plus, just to see if the whole package is working together. When I had my nitrous engine the program said 10.05 and I drove a 10.02 wich is as close as I need to come.

Buy the latest version of it if you can.

Joakim

Tom-Sweden 10-03-2003 08:46 AM

Thanks Jocke, for the info !

perfmachst 10-03-2003 10:23 PM

hello, the reason I mentioned Bullet cams is they grind cams for S/S and stockers. these are the people who know what works.
I've had better cams done after dealing with these S/S and stocker cam people. nothing ventured , nothing gained.:(

Mr.Sixpack 10-04-2003 04:52 AM

perfmachst

I did'nt find them on internet so I dropped them.
Do you have a phone number to Bob or email address.

Thanks

perfmachst 10-04-2003 04:15 PM

hello, Bullet Cams, 662-893-5670.memphis, tenn, usa.
fax, 662-893-6056. taken from natn'l dragster.
www.bulletcams.com
bob cook or john partridge. good luck,

Mr.Sixpack 10-05-2003 04:56 AM

perfmachst

Thanks.