Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! (http://www.moparchat.com/forums/index.php)
-   Performance Talk (http://www.moparchat.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Street Demon Carbs, any good? (http://www.moparchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41025)

Stoga 11-18-2001 12:16 AM

Street Demon Carbs, any good?

There was a question posted in the Vintage chat about Demon carbs. I have no knowledge or experience with these at all, so thought I would post here for anyone with knowledge of Demon carbs, so folks could post their opinions and experiences. Is a Demon a better or worse carb than an Edelbrock AFB or a Holley? Is it more of a street or a strip carb? Any information is much appreciated, thanks!

pishta 11-18-2001 02:18 AM

I like my Street Demon, Holley design, evary part is better though. Billet base plate, bigger fuel bowls, better finish overall, better venturis, much cleaner castings. It will handle all the Holley tricks, even the gaskets. 4 corner idle also. It comes on 4 performance levels.

440 HP 11-18-2001 11:50 AM

don't have a street demon but have a speed demon on my 383 bracket racer/ street car. beatiful carb. works great too.i think they come over jetted out of the box,76 and 83. in the summer we ran 72 and 78. now we run 74 and 80,which i want to warn people about,be easy on the float bowl screws.they are threaded into heli-coils and they will come out

71 scamp 11-18-2001 12:45 PM

We've got 3 speed demon carbs in the family and all our carb problems have been eliminated, now we just have fun with the cars! If you get one email me with any questions tuning it.

71383bee 11-18-2001 01:38 PM

I also am curious about these Demon carburators. However, I am leaning towards a Holley Street Avenger 770. Has anyone tried these yet?

DartByU 11-18-2001 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by 440 HP
which i want to warn people about,be easy on the float bowl screws.they are threaded into heli-coils and they will come out
When you say come out just what do you mean? Did you strip the heli-coil out or did it just unscrew, because a properly installed heli-coil is stronger than the base metal is. It's good they put heli-coils for the float bowl screws, it's better for taking them apart a lot because aluminum threads will wear out. A lot of aircraft aluminum parts come from the factory heli-coiled because it's stronger.

Frank 11-18-2001 08:33 PM

Hi Stoga,
I used a 625 cfm Road demon on a small block for a while. It was a good carb. Infact I'd say is was a whole hell of a lot better than the Holley it replaced.

The Holley was nothing but trouble. But the Road demon was a pleasure. Easy starting even when it got cold. no leaks, easy to tune, easy to rejet, just plain easy to work on. I tinker a lot, but I could have just stuck that road demon on and not touched it, and it would have been fine. I'm not sure if I like it better than a Carter (edlebrock) though.

440 HP 11-18-2001 09:06 PM

demon carb

in reply to dart, the heli-coil came out on my carb with the aluminum threads as well.had to drill and re-thread for larger [1/4 20 ] heli- coils. a real pain,but i salvaged the carb. went racing today.7.41 @ 92 mph. quickest and fastest yet.

T748 11-18-2001 11:56 PM

I'm running the 850 DP speed demons on my dart and truck. So far no problems. I do like the nice big view ports for setting the float level.-Tom