Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! (http://www.moparchat.com/forums/index.php)
-   Jeep Chat (Wrangler, Cherokee, etc...) (http://www.moparchat.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   360-3, What's the difference? (http://www.moparchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4922)

400Magnum 04-08-2000 04:57 AM

I know that the 360-3 is the heavy duty truck engine, but can anyone tell me exactly what the difference is between it and any other 360, particularly the car engines? Is the block casting thicker? Are the components different, ie different water pump or cam or whatever?

Any clarification would really be appreciated.

Regards,
400Magnum

Brian Mills 04-10-2000 05:53 AM

Hey 400, how's it going? I have often puzzled over that very question, and I don't know the answer, but I'll give you my guess.

The 360 car engine is what we all know it to be. The truck engine, or 360-2, has valve rotators on the exhaust valves, some say it has stellite valves as well, but that is just hear say as far as I know, and the crank is rummoured to be fine grade casting, or something better than the car one.

My only theory on the 360-3, is that it is the same engine as the 360-2, with either a different cam or the same cam retarded with off-set keys for a little more tourque.

These are only guesses, I've never disassembled the 360-3, I'll throw them in to see if I am even close.

Good to hear from you. Hows the Dakota responding to the constant torture?

------------------
If it ain't a Dodge, it's a dog!

Brian Mills

400Magnum 04-12-2000 01:28 AM

Thanks for the input Brian.

I've gotten all sorts of answers on this question from all sorts of people who in one manner or another you'd think would be a good source.

Some of the more common responses (excluding yours since you already know what you said) are:

1. The 360-3 has a higher nickel content in the block to reduce wear from the higher constant loads placed on the engine.

2. It's the same engine as the E58 Police engine, just "marketed" differently.

3. It's no different performance wise from any other 360, but the components are of the heavy duty variety and there tends to be more clearance around "hot" items to allow for consistently higher operating temperatures without the risk of something seizing.

4. Variations of the ones above, plus a few minor other things.

I guess I'm not sure what to think. I'm tempted to send an email to the Mopar Performane Tech Line and try to get the scoop straight from them, but to be honest, I'm not sure that the guys working there know any more about things than I do! I've never been real impressed with the replies I get from them, it usually ends up with them trying to push their products instead of coming up with some insightful advice. Okay, down off the soapbox now...

As far as the truck goes, she's running just fine, but I got a flat about a month ago and just haven't had the time to fix it. And with the price of gas what it's been, well, I haven't been real anxious to do it either. Been driving the wife's car, much easier on the old wallet.

I'll post more here if I find out something.

Regards,
400Magnum

vsteel 04-12-2000 04:24 PM

I do know that the valves on the 360-3 had rotators on them and the stellite (sp?) valves. The -3 motors usally run a little lower on the compression too, right around 8 to 1. The motors were designed to get spinning a little before trying to move a load. The tranny that dodge put in trucks up to the d600 used a first gear ratio of 6.7 and most trucks had 4.10 on gears or higher in them, so off idle torque is not a problem. Also the -3 engines had a recomended goverened speed for industrial applications, I think the cam was choses for this, though of this I can not be completly sure.

400Magnum 04-13-2000 04:54 AM

Yea, my Dad's truck is a D500, and it's got something like 6.83 gears out back. He just picked up a five speed tranny for it to replace the four speed that's in there now. Not that there is anything wrong with the four, but he wanted one more lower gear. He's looking for a two-speed rear axle to replace the single speed so that he can do a little more than 50 mph on the highway without spinning the engine to the governer limit.

The carb is a two barrel unit, and it does have a governer on it that apparently starts cutting off fuel at a certain rpm. I'm not sure how it works, he lives 8 hours away and tries to describe this truck to me over the phone so I end up losing something in the phone line translation.

Anyway, yea, he also determined that the 318-3 that is in there now has about a 7.5-7.8 to 1 compression ratio. Pretty low in my book, but when you carry that kind of load, you can't afford to be knocking and pinging when you start getting in a bind.

As it turns out, he went to look at and possibly buy a 360 today out of a Ramcharger. It had over 100k miles on it, but supposedly ran quite good and was complete for only $150. It'd give a few more ponies than the 318, which would be nice.

Thanks for your input vsteel, it all helps.

Regards,
400Magnum

Brian Mills 04-13-2000 04:19 PM

I haven't checked on the car engines, but the pickup truck 360's have 7.2-1 compression, except california models which have 7.7. Magnums have more, all the others don't.

Before you freak out, remember the 360 was brought out as a smogger from day one. Old school thought was low comp, long burn, less emittions.

------------------
If it ain't a Dodge, it's a dog!

Brian Mills

JVMopar 04-25-2000 12:17 AM

The 361-3 Was a "Premium" V8. It's features included Induction-hardened crankshaft journals, tri-metal main and connecting rod bearings, hydralic valve lifters, sodium-filled exhaust valves with roto-caps, and a chrome-alloy cast-iron cylinder block. These things should be in your engine since the -3 indicates a Premium built engine. Hope this is of some help.

six pack 04-25-2000 05:26 AM

Saw an 1980 motorhome with the 360-3. was a 4bbl and had the 318-3 heads on it(ones with the big spark plugs). Motor had been apart once before though but it did look original as there was a sending unit in the rear of the right head that I've never seen before and we were unable to get a replacement. Had an original wiring harness hooked up to this. Ended up putting 360 truck heads instead(bigger ports and valves than 318)
Made a big difference in power

my 02.

400Magnum 04-25-2000 11:43 PM

Thanks for the additional info guys! I appreciate it.

My Dad still hasn't decided whether to rebuild the 318-3 or go to the 360-3. The big thing in favor of the 318-3 is that it has a forged crank and he's pretty sure it can be salvaged with a little creative machining. A forged crank gives a little more secure feeling in a BIG truck when pulling a load. Not that we've ever heard of a cast 360 crank breaking, it's just that a forged crank is a forged crank. Know what I mean? It'd be a shame to scrap the thing.

If he ever gets that 360-3 and tears it apart I'll post the findings here so we'll all know for future reference.

------------------
Regards,
400Magnum