Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! (http://www.moparchat.com/forums/index.php)
-   Performance Talk (http://www.moparchat.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Edelbrock 1405/1406?? Vacuum Secondaries? (http://www.moparchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1659)

Vortectoaster 04-03-2000 12:39 AM

I have been looking at the following carb, because once again I HAVE FOUND A DEAL!!!
How do the secondaries open on this carb? They do not appear to be mechanical, and there is no vacuum pot on the side? Will this work with my stock motor or will I have to replace my distributer? The website for Edelbrock does not explain how they work, or at least I have not found it. I guess all that I really want to know is if the system will work? It says this system should work with stock heads and other equip. I have the performer intake, carb, and cam. What other underlying purchases will I have to make?

74Challenger383 04-03-2000 06:38 AM

I believe the Edlebrock carbs have mechanical secondaries. I used an Edlebrock 1405 carb on my 318 for 3 years and never had any problems. I ran a best quarter mile of 15.5 sec. Getting good performance off idle is a little harder in my experience with a mechanical secondary carb. The vaccum secondary carbs I have used (ie Holley and Carter) seem not to bog as easily. I'm not saying you can't get the Edlebrock to work well, just that it is harder. I had a 2300RPM stall convertor with my 318, which helped keep it from bogging off the line. Hope this helps.

DartGT66 04-03-2000 08:47 AM

The Edelbrock is a vacuum carb, just like the Carters. Actually, it is a Carter AFB. The throttles open manually, but there are air doors above the secondary throttles that open with flow. The air doors are counterweighted and you can't adjust the secondary opening rate easily like in the spring tensioned air door models.

Thunderstruck 04-03-2000 11:42 PM

I am running a 1406 on my 318 right now. I have a 1407 on my 360. They are AFB's. vacuum secondaries. How it works is like this. There is an airdoor at the top of the secondaries. Once the lower butterflies open (they are hooked to the primaries mechanically) air demand builds on the air door. Once a point is reached the airdoor starts to open and the secondaries come on line. They work fine, in fact i get about 20 mpg with my 318.

Steve

------------------
38 Plymouth P6
65 Plymouth Barracuda
87 Dodge Diplomat
89 Plymouth Caravan
96 Dodge Neon

"No quarter asked, none given" - Thunderstruck Racing

ram-man 04-05-2000 05:31 AM

i'm running the 1400 carb on a performer manifold and it works really well. i didn't install the cam at the same time which i probably should have and it's let to some problems off the line, but i'll be putting the cam in in the next few weeks to cure the problem. there was a definite increase in performance over the stock manifold thermoquad setup that i had previously, definitely recommend it.