Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! (http://www.moparchat.com/forums/index.php)
-   Performance Talk (http://www.moparchat.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Spark plug heat range (http://www.moparchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59319)

DITCHPICKLE 09-17-2002 11:55 PM

Spark plug heat range

Hey all, I need to change te plugs in my 77 440. i like using champion, but if you guys recomend something else, just let me know. lso, could you guys tell me what the next cooler plug is from teh stock and the next hottest if possible?
thanks everyone!
Steve

dirty dan 09-18-2002 11:23 AM

plugs

Hey steve
the recomended heat range in autolite is an 86.
With good gas I like to use an 85 wich is one step colder.
I find that I get much better service from autolite then champion.;)

rumblefish360 09-18-2002 04:23 PM

Quote:

I find that I get much better service from autolite then champion
Really! I find them junk. But if it works for you great. I use the champs myself.
Like DD said, the lower the number the colder it gets. Works on champ #'s as well.
http://www.championsparkplugs.com/champion.htm
A place to check out more than just champ plugs. Just look around.

Dr. Righteous 09-18-2002 08:28 PM

Champions? Are you kidding?

I really have to say I think Champions are junk. I had a problem with high speed miss. Everything checked out so the last thing I did was change the spark plugs. I had Champions in my 10:1 383 and I replaced them with the same brand and the problem disappeared for a while. I suddenly had the miss but this time worse. This was after a couple hundred miles. I removed the plugs and eyeballed them close. One had a cracked insolator. I DITCHED them and paid the $8 each for Bosch platnums. The miss was gone and the car also seemed to run smoother altogether!
You get what you pay for.

6Cuda6 09-18-2002 09:08 PM

Pick a brand and give them a try!!! Most plugs if you go up in numbers they get hotter, and lower get colder ie: r9Yc is very cold....r12ycis hot....but like everything there is one exception..NGK work the opposite with the numbers...i recomend that you stay away from platnum plugs until you are sure the motor likes the brand as they are expensive and once they are fouled they are garbage...

Eric Strong 09-21-2002 01:34 PM

Best Plugs

My best results so far were from Split-fire plugs, which I tried a few years ago. They lasted about 3 years. When I changed them, they still looked and worked good. I haven't been able to find them since for my 440 or I would still be using them. Does anyone Know where I can get them? Thanks!

Quick Claims Adjuster!!!

mtrv8n 09-21-2002 10:23 PM

I got the Bosch (damn my br]=oken keybord,)plus 4 platinum.

AWSOME! Not only will they make ANytHING fire, but you also dont have to index them.

66Dart_GT 09-22-2002 12:18 AM

Spark Plugs

Champions are for wead eaters and leaf blowers, Autolite and Motorcraft are for me, I have found thath if one changes brands and sees an improvement, then they needed new plugs anayway. just my opinion.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

George G. Leverette 09-22-2002 01:49 AM

I tried a set of champions and the quality control sucks, had to gap most of the plugs and they fouled after a couple months driving. Back to the Autolite 66s for the small blocks notice how they are on the money for gap every time and I change them yearly just cause they are so cheap and work so good.

BELVEDERE2 09-22-2002 10:43 AM

So if I'm running Autolite 65 in my smallblock and the plugs are running hot, I should trade them for lower number plugs?

mtrv8n 09-22-2002 03:42 PM

how do you know its not a tuning issue?

BELVEDERE2 09-22-2002 06:35 PM

Running Holley 600cfm, 66 jets, 2 turns on idle screws. Timing is 32 deg. total. No ping. So ruling out lean running-hopefully. Plugs are clean, no white or black. They should be tan/light brown. By the book, this means running hot. I've also read in this forum, that others use Autolite 64's. Mine are 65. So with this to go on, I say they're hot, but still asking for advice. I did think the main jets may be too small, but wouldn't the plugs show up as lean?