Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! (http://www.moparchat.com/forums/index.php)
-   Performance Talk (http://www.moparchat.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Lunati cams (http://www.moparchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118910)

coupe32 03-23-2010 05:43 PM

Lunati cams

Anyone had any good or bad experiences with Lunati flat tappet cams?

Paul Precht 03-23-2010 09:05 PM

I've been using them since 74, no complaints here, Paul.

rampage_82 03-24-2010 12:42 AM

I am running a Bracket Master 2 in my 383. Previously I have ran them it in a couple 440's. While the old school design isn't perfect for squeezing every last ounce of power out of the engine, it is a great cam for being tough as nails. Such as I've been on a streak of wiping cams; "mainly Comp's", but these old school Lunati's keep holding up fine. I think it's probably because the ramps are really slow, but hey it works.. Now the Voodoo series look awsome, however I haven't tried them except a solid roller that my father in law is running in his SBC Monte Carlo, and it is a nice cam..

buckneccid 03-24-2010 07:11 AM

I've got one of the VooDoo's in my 440, and I'm really happy with it. Sure woke the car up and it's real driveable

nhdriver 03-24-2010 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Precht (Post 797499)
I've been using them since 74, no complaints here, Paul.

Ditto, ran them for years in my 440 bracket car never wiped one or had any trouble breaking them in.

coupe32 03-24-2010 08:22 PM

I was considering a voodoo cam and then I asked someone that had one which was the one I was leaning towards and he told me it went flat on him after 5000 mi. He said he broke it in right and he suspects it may have been a problem with the lifters that came with it. This guy is a well respected mechanic that has a good reputation and had installed many cams. I thought Lunati had a good product. I just wondered if anyone else experienced problems with Lunati cams. Thanks for your replies.

djswwg 03-24-2010 09:43 PM

a friend of mine put one in a 460 ford last spring-it didn't last long enough to bring the engine up to operating temp. it was a custom flat tappet hydraulic grind bought directly from Lunati. when sent back, it turned out they had sent the wrong lifters, so they sent another new cam with chevy lifters that were obviously too small for the lifter bores in the ford motor. so they finally sent the correct lifters and the car works just fine. to bad but Lunati did not compensate for the down time, labour or gaskets, oil, filter, etc.............djs
PS, if your wiping out flat tappet cams, be sure to use an oil that IS NOT "energy conserving" and a zinc additive like Comp #159 and you shouldn't any more trouble. just my $0.02.............djs

Dirt Driver 03-24-2010 10:21 PM

The Voodoo cams came out when there was a rash a "soft" cam cores (lifters?). Many were made with these soft cam cores. Lunati doesn't make the cam cores and this was an issue with most brands of cams made at that time. Hopefully when you buy one now it hasn't been sitting around since then. A friend bought a Voodoo cam a few years ago from Summit and it wiped quick. Lunati wouldn't help him but Summit eirther refunded his money or replaced the cam. I forget which but Summit took care of him and said there were many complaints. Lunati blamed him and swore there was nothing wrong with their cams. now this was early in the "soft cam" crisis so maybe Lunati wasn't aware of the scope of the problem yet. I like a lot of Lunati grinds. Harold from Ultradyne designs the Voodoo cams.

The only issue I have with aggressive hydraulic cams is the lifters pump up at lower RPM's than less aggressive designs and they also require more valve spring. They seem to be just the thing for a street engine or a big block but for a high revving small block the lifter pump up might be an issue before peak RPM is reached. The higher spring pressures cause more wear too. The catalog and the timing cards don't always agree on which spring to use on which Voodoo cam.

Dirt Driver 03-24-2010 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckneccid (Post 797533)
I've got one of the VooDoo's in my 440, and I'm really happy with it. Sure woke the car up and it's real driveable

Which Voodoo cam are you running in your 440?

bulldog426 03-24-2010 11:24 PM

yeah i've heard good things about the voodoo cams, alot of guys around here run em in their mudboggers.. i've got one in my 440 on the engine stand, but haven't ran it yet..

crisser 03-25-2010 05:56 PM

Never under estimate Lunati. Even the "old school" cams.

buckneccid 03-26-2010 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirt Driver (Post 797619)
Which Voodoo cam are you running in your 440?

242/252, Lift .533/.552, using a 2800 stall behind that and 3.55 gears

pishta 03-26-2010 12:16 AM

Harold is the bleeding edge of cam design. He works for Lunati now but was with ultradyne and Holley designing lobe profiles before. I would put them right up there with Hughes when it comes to Mopar specific grinds. The Voodoo line is supposed to be excellent. No experience with one yet, but I was leaning in their direction for my stroker build cam.

Dirt Driver 03-26-2010 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckneccid (Post 797762)
242/252, Lift .533/.552, using a 2800 stall behind that and 3.55 gears

Thanks. I did a search and found where you mentioned 530/550, so I figured that was the one. I've been thinking of trying a Voodoo cam. I ran an older Crane cam with similar numbers and "Mopar" cam lobes. It was pretty big but gentle on valve train parts. I was getting ready to by the new Uldradyne Mopar cams they announced and then they got bought by Lunati. Ultradyne had announce the cam specs before releasing them. Them Lunati sold them under their name but have discontinued them for Mopar Voodoo cams. The Ultradyne/Lunati I did get is a 231/239 and I switched out the old Chevy lobe one for the Mopar lobe cam. Summit still has it available but it's no longer in the Lunati catalog, or I can't find it.