Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! (http://www.moparchat.com/forums/index.php)
-   Performance Talk (http://www.moparchat.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   383 Rear main seal (http://www.moparchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82117)

DavidA 04-18-2004 08:27 AM

383 Rear main seal

I'm slowly piecing my rebuilt 383 together. Have just got to the stage of permanently installing the crankshaft and Rear Main seal. I have several reference books etc but are a little confused on the rear main seal installation.

I bought a Mopar Peformance rear main seal package. The instructions were not too good. It states that the seal 'painted stripe' should be towards the rear. I don't see any painted stripe.

The two half rubber seals have a raised sloping lip. Does this slope towards the back of the engine or towards the front ?

When I press the seal into the block and also the seal cap the ends of the seals protude a little. Should I trip them off flush with the metal surfaces and if so what is a good way to do that ?

Any other tips on how to install the main seal are much appreciated as I don't want to stuff it up.

Thanks in advance.

MoparMarcIdaho 04-18-2004 10:06 AM

hi david

Dont feel bad the first one I did I had to do over,Lip to the inside of engine.Just think of it this way,The oil pressure pushes it outward so lip towards oil pressure.A very thincoat of rtv hi temp on outer edges only with one side sticking up slightly and offset other side accordingly.And dont forget side inserts and here again a slight film of rtv hi temp on the mating surfaces.Should not need to trim anything off seal halves.Torque to specs before rtv sets up and on to next subassembly procedures.Did you have a machine shop hot tank it and install the cam bearings?Should always fit the cam first in case there is a problem,it can be addressed first.:D

DavidA 04-18-2004 11:25 AM

383 Rear main seal

Thanks for the reply. I'll go ahead and install it. The instructions do tell me to soak the side seals in diesel or mineral spirits before installing. I guess that makes them swell up ? I will also put some high temp RV as you suggest.

Yes the block was hot tanked and then CAM bearings installed. Machine shope did a great job. They sais I would not need to recelan the engine but I did anyway. As it turned out it seemed very clean.

I put the CAM in and it turns nicely. Very satisfying when all the peices go together nicely. Hope it all works when I get it in the car !

Cheers

David

MoparMarcIdaho 04-18-2004 11:45 PM

take your time

Rome was not built in a day,neither are dependable high output almost a race motors.Fresh crank?did you check it for runout?Also pay close attention to thrust washer end play.If its used and been in front of a clutch,the crank will wear some and move too much forward during clutch application.just snug the mains and try to move it in and out.A very little is all you want.Rotate crank by hand after tightening each main cap.Always use a high quality assembly lube.;)