Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! (http://www.moparchat.com/forums/index.php)
-   Performance Talk (http://www.moparchat.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   what oil weight for 440? (http://www.moparchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27986)

Cuda4play 05-11-2001 12:57 PM

what kind of oil weight is preffered for a 440?,i'm using 10w30...someone told me redline 15 or something...

Marc 05-11-2001 01:15 PM

When I ran 20/50 in my Demon it would idle at 70lbs and hit 85 at anything off idle. I switched to 10/30 and had no troubles.
Anyone ever ran "Cam II" oil? I haven't seen it for years, but it sure worked well in tests done in our shop.

hey-you 05-11-2001 07:00 PM

I've had big blocks for years, and I've always used Castrol GTX 20-50 with no problems. I guess it's all a matter of prefrence. 10-30...20-50. Climate conditions, state of of engine mechanically.blah,blah,blah, These conditions all play a major factor on the weight of oil to choose from.

What I did find was that, if you use castrol for example on a regular basis and then change to another brand for one resone or other like quaker state or" Whatever". The engine takes a while to get use to that brand of oil. Me in particular like to stay with one brand and be dedicated to that brand.

Engines are like women, you treat them with respect, and you'll be amazed at what you will get back in return.

Remember you have to ride them hard once in a while..........Have fun...

CaptNemo 05-11-2001 07:36 PM

Valvoline 20w-50 either All Climate or Racing, I'm told the difference between the two is, the Racing has a better anti foam additive package.
The best advertisement for Valvoline is that all of the racers that I knew ran Valvoline in their race and street cars if they were not sponsored by an oil company. I even knew a few that were sponsored and they went out and purchased Valvoline for the shop trucks with cases of the "other oil" sitting in the shop. That's how much they belived in it.
Of course, if you have a blown nitro or alky hemi, then Kendal Nitro 70 is the ticket...

Run Purolator filters. I switched from Frams after a great many years. Cut both open and look at how much better the Purolator is constructed.

Lee Pritchard 05-11-2001 08:20 PM

oil

I use mobile one 15w 50 in all my cars. I have never found anything better......

amoparguy 05-11-2001 11:58 PM

I use 10-30 Trop Arctic in my Ram 1500 and Phillips HD30 in my 440.

I was just discussing this this same topic with my machinist (someone whose opinion I value greatly). He said too heavy of oil can cause a flow restriction on the inlet side of the oil pump. And, he generally wasn't opposed to synthetics but he said not use extended drain intervals.
Something else I thought was interesting, Gene showed me a piston with brown varnish on the underside, he said all the engines he does that use Valvoline have the same type of deposits. Anyone else ever notice that?

6t5mopar 05-15-2001 11:28 AM

Oil Weight

I use AMSOIL 20W50 series 2000 Racing oil in my Coronet. Outstanding performance all around. A little pricey,but well worth the protection.
I have yet to hear a bad word about any AMSOIL products in the past
8yrs. Try it,You'll like it.

I also use 0w30 in my Ram,This stuff flows -76 below 0.
I picked up 2mpg with an oil change.

Christopher 05-15-2001 10:38 PM

I just started using Quaker State 15w40 after using it in my wifes Jeep the past 6 months.I used to use their 10w30,but with 132,000 on it,I decided to use a bit heavier oil. Anyway,it seems to do real well,and I started using it in my Ramcharger,so I will use it in the 440 that is in in the Dart.BTW, this oil is actually in a Wally-Mart bottle,but is the same as Quaker State as QS makes and bottles it for Wally Mart.I called Quaker State about this,and they sent me a e-mail confirming it.

Cuda4play 05-16-2001 01:42 AM

Oil Change it is

I think i'll go try the AMSOIL 20W50 first,and if my car doesn't like it,i'll try the 15w40,thanks for everyone's imput.