Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! (http://www.moparchat.com/forums/index.php)
-   Diesel & Turbo Diesel Chat (http://www.moparchat.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   2003 Dodge 3500 w/ HO Cummings Won't start (http://www.moparchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114336)

Upaunoz 02-05-2009 11:32 PM

2003 Dodge 3500 w/ HO Cummings Won't start

I have a problem where my truck won't start. The motor just cranks and cranks and cranks but won't start. It has a manual tranny and if you pull start it or start it on a hill the second you let the clutch out it fires right off and runs like there's no tomorrow once it does start. Great power and no problems until you shut it off. We replaced the transfer pump and that did not help any either. Local mechanic said it was the cam shaft sensor and to my disaggrement he changed it and it still did not fix the problem. This truck has always been the type that the second you turned the key it would start. Doesn't seem to matter if it's cold or warm. Intake heater is working fine. Ideas??????

peg leg 02-06-2009 10:47 AM

No start

First, there ain't no "G" in Cummins. Be nice to your truck!
A no start condition with the key is likely the fuel shutoff solenoid, operated by the ignition key in the start position. Have some one observe the soloenoid while you operate the switch. It's out near the Injection pump.

slow2dak 02-06-2009 10:57 PM

no start!!!

first, CP3 pumps do not have fuel shutoff solenoids. the fuel pressure on the truck needs to be checked. no manual fuel pressure gauges here for the high pressure side of the system here. only on low pressure side can you use a manual guage. You need a DRBIII to monitor the fuel pressure set point and the fuel pressure sensor. You need to see what the fuel pressure sensor is reading while cranking the engine. 5.9 common rail diesels need at leat 1800psi of fuel pressure to start. If yours will not reach that goal then further diagnosis is required. First place to start would be to check the injector return. High injector return can cause low cranking fuel pressure. Common rail diesels use the injectors and connecting tubes to create a restriction to build the pressure that high. With an injector leaking at the ball seat or a connecting tube leaking at the point where is meets the body of the injector, that restriction is not as strong and pressure goes down. My suggestion is to take the vehicle to a dealer with a strong diesel technician. Thats just my 2 cents.

peg leg 02-08-2009 04:31 PM

Enlighten us

What item in the Cummins cr system shuts down the fuel delivery? There has to be something that interrupts fuel flow to the IP low pressure side. If he can tow to start, then how can a defective pressure bypass allow the engine to run?
Inquiring minds want to know!

Dick 02-08-2009 08:37 PM

This may help. Info about No Start Conditions is a little more than halfway down the page.

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2006/14-003-06.htm

brian sauser 02-09-2009 12:42 AM

The problem will be in the fuel injectors. What happens is one or more inj. starts leaking fuel back to the return circuit of the fuel system. When you crank the engine over to start, it only has about 140 rpm's, and with the high return, the fuel system can't make the 1500 to 1800 PSI needed to start. But when you pullstart the truck, you are spinning the engine over faster than 140 RPM's, and the high PSI pump is able to build the fuel PSI over the 1800 mark and the engine fires and the truck will run after that until you shut it off again.
The only way to find the failed inj. is to do an inj. return test and cap off each inj. until you find the one or more inj. with high return.

slow2dak 02-09-2009 09:51 AM

no start

I think Brian re-itterated exactly what I said. The ECM is what shuts off the fuel supply.

RacerHog 02-13-2009 02:09 PM

So throw some injectors at the Gummins....:smoking:
Keep us posted on what fixed it...:smoking:

Upaunoz 03-01-2009 12:19 PM

First of all thanks to all with info for my Dodge Cummi"n"s. (Thanks Peg Leg!) We checked the pressure in the system while cranking and it was only producing about 800 psi. We replaced the Fuel rail pressure relief valve and that increased the pressure to 1100. We then checked the injectors and found two injectors that we leaking by. Pressure then checked out at 1800 and it starts just fine now. Thanks again for your info.

jb182 09-29-2009 11:11 AM

Hey. I'm having this problem of cranking but won't start. I replaced the fuel filter and it seemed to fix it for a while, but the problem has returned. I don't know how to check the rail pressure or how to test the injectors. Can someone give me some suggestions? Thanks.