Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! (http://www.moparchat.com/forums/index.php)
-   Slant Six Chat (http://www.moparchat.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   my push rods wre bent (http://www.moparchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115683)

scampmann 05-09-2009 08:13 PM

my push rods wre bent

hellow my name is casey new to mopar, and the slant six. i must say i am very exited about the potential this engie has. recently a friend of mine traded me two plymouth scamps to build a fence for her however one had a broken frame so that one is the parts car ,,,, anyway the good one started up for me after i rebuilt the carb and i made it two miles to my house when ran like crap though when i tore down the motar i noticed a few strange things.. first the pushrods three of them were bent... then after removing the chaine cover i noticed the timing marks were not lined up and the cam had some play in it... is that normal?..the play in the cam? and finally when the timeing marks are lined up the rotar is on the number 4 cylnder... can anyone tell me what might have happend the chain wasnt broke or damaged i am baffeld .. were can i find the correct instuctions to time my engine correctly once i get it back from the machien shop....??????? i dont want to put it together wrong and i want to make sure i correct whatever the problem was.... thank you,, casey

Rug_Trucker 05-11-2009 11:52 AM

Sounds like the chain jumped time and you bounced some valves off the pistons!! Don't run it!! You could have bent valves. Get the spares out of the other motor and get a new timiing chain.

BTW there is lots of slant people in your area.

scampmann 05-11-2009 01:33 PM

what about the camshaft

thats kinda what i figured right now the head is in the shop getting bigger valves and ported .The biggest question that i have is wheather the front and back movement of the cam is normal? thats the thing that keeps me up at night. i havnt taken the other one apart yet so i dont know if that one does the same thing.....aslo who are the people in my area and how can i contact them..i want to buy new pushrods i know were to get those but i cant find the tappets ... i broke one trying to take it out ..not sure exactly how to take them out....also were can i find a good performance cam for a good price thank youso much for your reply its so hard to get info on this engine ...but i do love it......casey hailey

Rug_Trucker 05-11-2009 01:45 PM

There is a large membership on www.slantsix.org in Washington and Oregon. Stop in there and say "Hi!"

Ray Bell 05-13-2009 11:15 AM

The cam shouldn't move very far at all... only a matter of thousandths of an inch...

dschumers 07-12-2009 01:14 AM

Unless you have a stop installed in the front cover the cam will walk back and forth a hundred thousandths or so.