Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! (http://www.moparchat.com/forums/index.php)
-   Diesel & Turbo Diesel Chat (http://www.moparchat.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Pig Piss (http://www.moparchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123453)

Shatto 03-04-2012 03:35 PM

Pig Piss

Now that the government has forced y'all have to add pig piss to a separate tank to make your diesel engine run clean....
What sort of MPG do you get and how has it affected your overall operating costs?

LDS3500 03-04-2012 03:37 PM

Ok i'll bite.

te.ringer 03-04-2012 08:05 PM

I will tell you on a fleet of amb. That I work on (about70) no change in fuel milage but a benifit is cab /air/heppafilters about$ 400 worth last 20000 miles instead of 5000 miles.big saving to local gov I work for.The savings is from the clean exhaust.no black smoke they sit and idle hours at a time sucking in everything.

Shatto 03-04-2012 09:50 PM

Thats an interesting side benefit I would have never thought of.

te.ringer 03-05-2012 06:33 AM

Yes , something finaly cut maintence cost,all of our parts have gone up 100% or more in last 5 years.

JVMopar 03-05-2012 09:42 PM

The Cummins was able to avoid the Urea fluid in the regular pickups for an extra year. But cab chassi trucks have it. And pickups will have it soon. Or that's what I've heard.

I work at a GM dealer and diesel truck sales have dropped through the floor (thank god they suck to work on). When the Urea or DEF fluid first came out it was over $15 per gallon. Trucks have a 5 gallon tank with the range of about 3000 miles. I had a guy come back to me complaining about his mileage said he was getting around 15 mpg. He said he had friends with the Cummins that were getting in the 20's. His jaw dropped when I told him the Cummins was a 6 cylinder. His exact words were "they are getting all that power out of a 6 cylinder". Anyways he asked what he could do to get better mileage. I told him go buy a Dodge cause 15 out of a Duramax was good.

I reciently drove a '07 Dodge mega cab with a Cummins and I have to say the lack of power when you mash the pedal was kind of disappointing. The Duramax will burn the tires when you mash the pedal, but working on the SUCKS. So I'm assuming that the Cummins doesn't have a VNT which really does make a difference.

So as far as mileage I think were still in the same place we were 20 years ago. Alot more power though. But in my opinion unless your using your truck to tow constantly a diesel just isn't worth it. Between the extra maintenance cost and higher initial price you'll never make up the difference between the better fuel economy of a diesel vs the gasoline engine.

te.ringer 03-06-2012 05:35 AM

the new cummins engine is a little larger,but much worse to work on ,also has a dead throttle until turbo boost,all the accessory are on the rear timming cover not the front like the older model,had to replace fuel pump,air compressors,on 2010 freightliners all ready,but the good news no more injection pump or electrical lift pump ,just like 1968 again and there larger brothers the444/500 hp engs.855 cu,block.We avg 7 miles gal.with cat,cummins,ihc,not much different a lot of idle time kills the fuel milage,we get 7 miles gal. with larger 450/m11 cummins eng in our pumper trucks also (40000 lbs)