Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! (http://www.moparchat.com/forums/index.php)
-   Performance Talk (http://www.moparchat.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   My first muscle car. (http://www.moparchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4179)

Duster_Dan 01-20-2001 04:09 AM

Well where to begin. I am 18 and I live in canada so all of you guys are pretty far away. I own a 1975 plymouth duster. Here is the code on the dash drivers side. VS29L5GI58234. I have posted pics on http://www.angelfire.com/ab/yodarific/index2.html and maybe you guys could take a gander and tell me what you think. The motor you see in the pics is the 318. we decided to scrap it. we got a 360 and have done nothing to it yet we only did the heads we sent it to a trusted source heads up machine shop. its my dads and i's car. what are good setups for 360's? are they a good motor. it came out of a 1978 dodge magnum. the car magnum i never heard of it until we got the car for parts. this car is not going to be original just a pampered car with non original parts. everything pretty much is gonna change. (by the way what are the rims called on my car they are shown in the pics.)where is a good place to start? is sand blasting a good thing 2 do? and what do you all think of lime green what are good colours for dusters? well i gtg i hope to see some posts soon i need some guidance. =) thanks in advance.

------------------
Bah fords who need em!

COLORMECLONE 01-20-2001 02:56 PM

Dan,your rims are what chrysler called "road wheels",but your trim rings look a little deeper.they might be ford rims.AMC used these rims too,they are all 4 1/2" bolt pattern.
i would try to stay away from sandblasting.the sand goes EVERYWHERE (heater vents quickly come to mind).plus the heat from friction using a sandblaster can warp body panels

rumblefish360 01-20-2001 03:28 PM

Speaking from exper. , I would do the body first. However, If its the eng. your thinking about, the 360 is very good. It's simalar to the 340. It will make great power for the street. The 360 will make a little more torque and a tad less HP when equally built with the same parts as the 340.
The extra stoke is better for torque. Read...getting off the line/ hi-way passing. The differance is small.
The set up is your choice on how you want the car to react. What do you want out of your car? The question of "What set ups are good?" is too general. I would suggest to start mellow. Factory or Aluminum 4bbl and a small cam w/headers for power.
Sand blasting eng parts or parts off the car is ok. Not the body.
I went to your site there. The car looks good. I like the blackened hood. Good paint sceme. I like them in "Tor-red". A buddy had one in a yellow that scream "LOOK AT ME." To bummble beeish for me.

PS What are you doing with that Magnum? And how's the body?

Duster_Dan 01-20-2001 10:32 PM

Well the magnum we gave to a friend we got it for mearly 350 canaidian. =) it ran and the interior was nice. we got it for an awsome deal there was just a little front end colision almost nothing. but thanks for your replys i was hoping for more but oh well.

------------------
Bah fords who need em!

40Coupe 01-20-2001 10:59 PM

Duster Dan

Where in Canada are you from? If you are near North Dakota you should check this out. www.revsearch.com This guy is an engine builder he has a 445hp 360 for sale. He wants $1800 US for it. I have seen the engine run on his dyno its a killer engine. It would make you duster fly. But this is a very wild engine, just keep that in mind. The engine made 445hp at 6200rpm with my block hugger headers. I was going to get it but its a little to wild for what I want.

Just an Idea.

40Coupe

Sly Fox 01-21-2001 06:52 AM

Looks like a pretty nice project. Car looks to be in decent shape. If I were you, I would start with the body. Pull the motor out and clean up the engine compartment and repaint it and get it looking good before you put the new motor in. As far as the motor, just pretty much basically rebuild it pretty much stock. Just put a alum. intake, four barrel and headers and see how you like that first and go from there. As far the body goes, I just hook up my rotary sander to the air-compressor and sand it off with a light grade of paper. An electric drill w/ a sanding pad on it works too but it may wear the the drill out after a while. It's very time consuming but it works for the outer body panels. If you get into tight spots where you aren't in any danger of warping body panels, you can sandblast or blast them with some other material too. It can be messy and take a while to get the sand out of the car, but it's quick and easy if you do it right. I could go on and on but I'm not going to right a "how to" book here. When you get the body done, let us know and we'll chat you through the next step.

Duster_Dan 01-21-2001 07:30 AM

Ok this may sound stupid. 400 horse power is considered how much horse power for a street car on a scale of 1-10. what would you say is an avarage. I am building my car this may also sound stupid... I hate ford mustangs and pretty much all of my friends are in love with them,...... =( stupid friends. but anyways. will the 360 rebuild with what you said beat the standard motor in the mustang which i belive is a 305? rebuilt with ad ons? like well i don't even know where i am going with this will my car beat mustangs? lol kinda dumb question cause i know it depends on what the mustang has had done to it but will it beat the avarage joe shmoe street mustang? and if not what can i do to make it beat em?

------------------
Bah fords who need em!

Sly Fox 01-21-2001 07:46 AM

Well, I didn't realize you were looking to slaughter some ponies. The reason the "rustangs" are fast is because they are very light weight. Thats the only way they can make a 302 do anything. If you are looking to beat just an ordinary rustang, it won't take much to do it. I have a 318 Challenger that is stock with just an intake, 4-barrel and headers and I'm running just as fast as the ordinary rustang is and my car is heavier than your car. If you want to beat up on the faster ones, it just depends on how fast you wanna go. I've seen them rustangs run low 10's in the 1/4 mile and watched their driver's drive them home from the track. When it comes to modifying, there is no one certain way to build a motor. You'll just have to do some research and figure out what kind of horse power you want to produce.

Sly

Duster_Dan 01-21-2001 09:58 PM

Well i went to the site with the 360 sounds nice showed it to my dad just a matter of money or we would consider it. oh well probly to much horse power anyways.

------------------
Bah fords who need em!

rumblefish360 01-22-2001 03:05 AM

On a scale of 1-10...6??? Well, imo, it could be in the average range for mucle cars. The times it can have your car run is in the ave. range. It depends on weight as well.
The Mustangs have an advantage of 5 spd's, fuel injection & roller cam. A few bolt ons make them sing. It's hard to compete with things that you don't have, or cost alot to get.
If your lookin to spank most of them, find out how fast they run @ the track. Then build to suite. Becareful, this could lead to overspending and bad bad bad results.
Best to build a 12.5 street car that go's faster @ the track with slicks. Then call it bolt on parts to the stang crowd. Then you can snicker all the way to the finish line.