Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! (http://www.moparchat.com/forums/index.php)
-   Performance Talk (http://www.moparchat.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Anybody built an engine test stand? (http://www.moparchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80264)

Dartcustom 02-23-2004 12:15 AM

Anybody built an engine test stand?

Has anybody built a engine test stand? I am thinking about it for a project this summer. How hard was it? How much did it cost? I was thinkign about using a K-member as part of the stand. Anybody have any pics? Thanks

nhdriver 02-23-2004 12:34 AM

Yeah, My friend built one to "break in " Stock eliminator cam shafts . He took an old well worn 440 mounted it in on a heavy duty wooden pallet hooked up to a stick shift bellhousing w/ just a flywheel bolted up (no Trans) a crude Dash board w/ oil pressure, temp & a tach. running it w. a b-body radiator in front of it it works pretty well. for it's intended purpose (to break in cam shafts W/O heavy duty valve springs) or trying to break in a new expensive NHRA stock eliminator engine at the same time. I will try to dig up a picture of it for you. ( I don't think a k-member would be neccessary to do this)

sgt._mezz 02-23-2004 01:45 AM

we built one in my engines class in college for our ford 3.0's we were rebuilding. just made a stand out of 2x4 rectangular tubing, and mounted a transaxle to it with all the mounts. used a radiator/fan from a taurus, a little box with a toggle and pushbutton switch, then a hand held pressure guage for oil pressure, and an infared temp gun for water temp... :D worked great!

if it's possible (i'm sure it is) make that K-member removable and get 2 of em, a small block and a big block K member so you can change em out for different motors. if you have a P.A.W book, look in there, theres a test engine stand for sale for $600 :eek: you could look at the pic and get an idea...

good luck! let us know how it comes out if you do it!

Dartcustom 02-23-2004 11:09 AM

Thanks guys. How long do you think an engine would run, on a fully charged battery, ya know without an alternator?

23T 02-23-2004 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dartcustom
Thanks guys. How long do you think an engine would run, on a fully charged battery, ya know without an alternator?
Just keep a charger hooked up to the batt

sgt._mezz 02-23-2004 05:55 PM

depends if it's fuel injected or not (runnin the computer/sensors), but i agree with 23T, just keep a charger on it.

dwc43 02-23-2004 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dartcustom
We ran dirt cars all night long with only two batteries installed and never charged, so you wont have a problem. Besides, it's not hard to wire up an alt to it. :D

23T 02-23-2004 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by dwc43
We ran dirt cars all night long with only two batteries installed and never charged, so you wont have a problem. Besides, it's not hard to wire up an alt to it. :D
Your right about the hook-up but I tend to be a little no a lot lazy when putting a motor on the run in stand and do not bolt on any un-necessary parts that will just have to come off before install :D