Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > PT Cruiser Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:39 PM

Default Code 1684

My Cruiser threw a 1684 code (The battery has been disconnected within the last 50 starts) Sunday so I pulled off the air cleaner and the battery terminals were covered with oxidation. I unhooked both and shined them up and since the battery was 4 years old I bought a new one to replace it. After putting everything back together I turned the key and the car started right away and the check engine light went out. Tuesday on my way home from work the check engine light came on again and the code is back. The car seems to be running fine.

Other that a problem with the battery cables, what else might likely cause this fault? Or is it time to just take it to the dealer?
Old 02-17-2010, 10:52 PM

Ok did some digging this is what I got for you

Key on, and the TCM that the checksum of the battery backed RAM did not match the stored checksum for 7 msec. This is not a fault code. It exists to provide reference information only. A battery backed RAM is used to maintain some learned values. When the battery is disconnected, this memory is lost. When the battery is reconnected, the loss of learned values will be detected by the controller. The code will be set and the learned values will be initialized to known constants and the learning process will continue. Setting the code has no effect except for re-initialization of learned values.

This code sets in 2 Trip(s).
This code will turn on the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp)

possible causes

Quick Learn procedure was performed with a Scan Tool
TCM battery direct (B+) circuit is open or disconnected
TCM power ground circuit is open
TCM was disconnected or it has been replaced
Old 02-18-2010, 08:49 AM

Thanks JVMopar! A scan tool hasn't been used so that's out. The TCM has not been intentionally disconnected and it wasn't replaced so that's probably out. The fact that the MIL went out after I cleaned the terminals and put in the new battery makes me think the cable connections would be a good place to start looking...or am I underestimating?