Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > PT Cruiser Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:22 AM
Inactive User

Default PT Cruiser Brake Question

This past weekend I did the front disk brakes in my wife's PT Cruiser GT. I used Raybestos PG series pads and rotors.

Anyway, the brakes feel great and stop the car very smoothly but! There is a pulsing kind of noise that seems to be mostly coming from the drivers side that increases and decreases with speed and you don't feel anything. You don't hear it with the windows down or the radio on.

I put the wheels up in the air and ran them at around 30 mph and the ABS system seems to be pulsing the brakes. The car has traction control and it does this whether the traction control is on or off. The pulsing is not hard but is enough to see the wheels slow down and speed up and it more pronouced on the drivers side (this appears to be the source of the noise since it stops as soon as you touch the brake pedal) but both wheels are doing it. There is no runnout in the rotors and the wheels turn smoothly by hand. The pistons had to be pushed all the way in on the calipers to make room for the rotor to fit between the pads, there was no extra space. It may have been doing this before the brake job but wasn't noticed.

Anyone got any ideas what may be going on?

PS: there are also clicking kind of noises on the drivers side that I can't pinpoint excatly where they are coming from when the wheels are spinning in the air but I am assuming its from the solonoids in the automatic tranny.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:02 AM
Inactive User

Default My guess

The pins on the caliper bracket are not allowing the caliper to retract all the way. Remove the assembly and sand them clean. Yes, the clicking noise is probably the shift solenoid pack. It's a normal sound when selecting a gear, but not continuous.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:29 AM
Inactive User

I can be a dumb ass at times. One of the rotors had been dropped or banged raising a divot on the edge. Once I ground it down even with the rotor face all was well.

BTW, the PT brakes don't have a pin that goes through the caliper to slide on. There is a sealed piston arrangement on the caliper adapter that the caliper bolts to. Does the same thing allowing the caliper to slide, they moved in and out smoothly.