Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > PT Cruiser Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:59 PM
Inactive User

Help 03 Cruiser hub replacement

I am going to be replacing the pressed in wheel hub on my brother's 03 PT Cruiser shortly. I have read the FSM procedure to remove the hub. It seems a bit over-complicated, involving a bearing splitter and many other steps. Do i have to follow the bearing splitter procedure or can I just press the dang thing out?

Or, does anyone know of some other method to remove the hub without a press? I read on another PT Cruiser site about a method of partially removing the hub retaining bolts, soaking the union between the hub and steering knuckle with penetrating lubricant, and then working the hub out without a press. Can that be done?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:05 PM

Pressing it in and out is gonna be the easiest way. For pressed in bearings I take the steering knuckle off then press the hub out of the bearing. Then I knock all the balls and races out of the bearing. Leaving just the outer race of the bearing. Remove the snap ring. Then I take my welder crank it up and lay two beads of weld on the inside of the race (one on each side). Then just let it cool a bit and the race will almost fall right out of the knuckle.

Then press the new bearing into the knuckle. Install the snap ring, and press the hub back into the bearing. ALWAYS press on the races. Don't expect the balls of the bearing to take the load of the press, or you'll be buying another bearing. It's really pretty simple once you've done one or two.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:08 PM
Inactive User

Thanks. Since I posted this question I have done a bit more research and learned that the hub itself is not a pressed in piece. I am hoping that I won't have to press out the wheel bearings, but if i do, I will follow your advice.