Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-08-2007, 02:28 AM

Default Chrysler recalls 600,000 Dodge trucks, vans

WASHINGTON (AP) -- -- Chrysler said Friday it is recalling nearly 600,000 Dodge trucks and vans to address concerns that the vehicles could shift out of park without the key in the ignition.

The recall affects 576,417 2001-2002 Dodge Dakota trucks, Dodge Durango sport utility vehicles and Dodge Ram vans and the 2002 Dodge Ram pickup. In some cases, long-term wear on the gearshift assembly could erode the height of the shift blocker, creating the potential for the vehicle to shift out of park.

Chrysler spokesman Max Gates said there have been nine incidents involving injuries connected to the issue. No fatalities have been reported, he said in an e-mail.

Owners will be notified beginning in January 2008 and dealers will replace the gearshift blocker and bracket assembly.

In the interim, vehicle owners are advised to use the parking brake at all times when the vehicle is not in use, Gates said.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:16 AM

yep read a bout this this morning. went to our tech site no info there. the media allways gets the recall info before the dealers do. so the customers see it on the news and demand we fix there cars now because the media said we would. we dont even know what we have to replace let alone parts.i feel the we should get the info first then release it to the media. cut down on the panic
Old 12-08-2007, 12:49 PM

At least they issued a temp fix with with the news release.

"use the parking brake at all times when the vehicle is not in use"

Of course, I do find it funny that they aren't going to issue a recall for another month.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:38 PM

What a bunch of crap. People today are getting dumber and dumber and it pisses me off. My '73 can be shifted out of park without the key on. The steering wheel doesn't lock either. The solution is simple don't shift it out of park unless you want to go somewhere. And in theory they should be using the parking brake anyways. It's just like having to step on the brake to move the shifter and doors that auto lock when you put it in gear. I'm getting really sick of the lack of common sense with the people these days. I hate new cars and I hate stupid people.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:42 PM
Inactive User

My dad's 73 had an effective mechanism to prevent me from taking it out of gear. he wore it around his waist. :-)PCRMike
Old 12-09-2007, 12:06 AM

I've got one of those effective mechanisims around my waist right now and I'm not afraid to use it either.

Gosh I'm getting grouchy in my old age. it's kinda funny
Old 12-17-2007, 07:17 PM

I have been an active and vocal supporter for using the parking brake all my driving career. A lot of headlines would not have even been a story had people used the parking brake. I can think of many children's lives that were actually lost because of the parking brake not being set.

Detroit does not help. One of my jobs had a company car, a Cadillac late 80's vintage, V8 fwd. If you did use the parking brake it would release automatically when you came out of Park. In fact it did not even have a release handle! Coming out of park was the only way to release it, so much for people with kids that leave the car running...What in the world. Another GM car we had, Buick I think, would unlock the doors as soon as it came out of Park, and an Oldsmobile that would lock the doors when put into gear, they would even re-lock if you got out and then closed the door! You could be a goof and get locked out of your running car while it was in gear....but those are safety subjects for another day...

That being said, a mechanical problem like that does need to get fixed, and a recall is the only way to be sure. I am glad they stepped up and did that.