Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:36 PM
Inactive User

Default Wheel bearing blues

Hello folks new to the site . Just a little distraught about a diagnosis from a wheel bearing issue . Has anyone heard of a wheel bearing going bad superquick enough to ruin a spindle, bad enough it has to be replaced? I am just having a hard time believing this one. Took my truck in at 7:00am because it did have a grinding sound on the way to work so I turned around and took it to firestone to have it looked at ( I did purchase the lifetime brake deal ,and the lifetime front end alignment).last service on a brake job was about 13 thousand miles ago. it just seems odd that this could be as drastic as needing to be replaced in about a 50 mile trip from first hearing this noise. any help?
ageiron
Old 02-20-2008, 09:25 PM

The damage started before you heard the noise. I would want to see the spindle and bearing, before paying to replace them.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:40 PM

The noise could be from a dragging caliper or the audible sensors, which sometimes get bent during a brake job.

You didn't mention any particulars about your truck. Your user profile lists it as a 1999 Ram. No mention of 2 or 4WD. No mention of 1500, 2500 or 3500. Info like that can sometimes get a quicker response and help find solutions. We don't know how many miles on your truck. Your wheel bearings may have seen their useful life. Again, high/low miles, we don't know.

My gut feeling is that Firestone worked on it and 13K later, you have a grinding sound. Could be an error was made during the brake job. I don't know if your rig has sealed bearing/rotor assemblies or if it has separate cones and cups that require packing. I had a truck once with separate bearings that lost a spindle due to the idiots that did the ball joints replaced the rotors without greasing the bearings. The bearings were dry and reduced to powder.

Hope it is something quick and cheap to fix. Let us know what they find.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:52 PM

If the bearings are the serviceable kind then if each bearing can be put on the spindle and have no play between the inside race and spindle then reuse the old spindle even though it may have some visable damage from the bearing. I did have one lock up on my '73 dodge and it didn't give any warning. Just a loud squeal for 1/2 second. I was almost home so I took it apart and the bearing had seized and spun on the spindle.

Hub assemblies usually give good notice of failure. They growl as you go down the road. Some do just get loose and have no noise.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:06 PM
Inactive User

Mine was one of the ones that got loose....scary loose.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:16 PM
Inactive User

Need to REGREASE em all 2 x 4 or 4 x 4 after being in the water