Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-27-2008, 11:09 PM
Inactive User

Default Here's my story (everybody has one)

To all,
I poked around and this topic doesn't seem to have been addressed.
I have a 99 Ram 1500 extended cab with short bed. Currently houses a 5.2l and a solidly rebuilt auto trans. with a B&M shift package. The Truck is clean and worth my time so I've decided to take the power train dive.
Here is my plan:
I have an extra 318 that is new enough to not need boring. A re-ring is in order. I see no need to mess with the crank as this will be a daily driver. (no stroker kit wanted) My aspirations are in the top end.
I intend to go with Mopar Performance parts and want to retain the factory MPI and fuel rails as well as the throttle body. This is what I'm looking at.
The stock cam shaft has .432 lift on both sides and 264/250 duration. I want to bump this up to .501/.513 lift with 288/292 duration. Mopar Performance part #P4876348 hydraulic roller for MPI. They also suggest single valve springs with damper for that amount of lift. Part# 5249464 Next is the intake. This is a direct replacement for factory utilizing the factory MPI injectors and throttle body. Part# P5007398AB Aluminum single plane.(non EGR) To top all this off there will be a set of headers and dual exhaust with cross over installed utilizing dual cats and necessary O2's. ( as I have been lead to understand I only need to monitor one side.)
The key information I can't seem to find before I drop $2000.00 into these goodies is can I use my stock Magnum heads (to be ported) without the valves crashing into the pistons and what can I do about remapping the fuel injector program to accommodate these modifications? It does no good to have valves stay open longer if I can't squirt some more fuel in there! This info is holding up my whole project and I promise I have looked endlessly for resolve. My current number eight cylinder is burning oil due to really bad maintenance by a prior owner. I like a tight truck and it's rubbing me wrong. Gotta git er done!
I appreciate any help you may have to offer.
Thanks, dkenny991500
Old 11-27-2008, 11:37 PM

Biggrin

You might try Hughes Engines for the cam/lift question. They have a wealth of information about Mopar engines. Keep us informed about your project.

http://www.hughesengines.com/
Old 11-28-2008, 10:52 AM
Inactive User

This is why I have an eye's open, mouth shut policy about these forums. If you care to listen you can learn. The Hughes engine web site is a gold mine. Thank you for your direction, it's just what I've been looking for. I will keep you informed of the build progress.