Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:48 PM

Default MFS failure

The Multi-function switch, on my 2006 Ram 2500 is beginning to fail. I went to find a part number for it. When I did a quick internet search for it, I was very surprised by the number of complaints of this unit failing.

NHTSA had launched an investigation, as it is a potential safety hazard. After working with Chrysler, Chrysler decided to extend the warranty on this part. Now get this, as the NHTSA had it flagged as 2006 Ram 3500, this warranty extension is only for the 2006 Ram 3500. The exact same part is used for the 1500, 2500, and 3500. Gotta love the Chrysler logic.

I spoke with NHTSA today and advised them of what Chrysler did. They agreed that what was done by Chrysler was not the intent of the agreement. As such, NHTSA is going to reopen the investigation for a possible recall.

I spoke with Chrysler and the rep I spoke to was a little baffled as well. She looked it up and confirmed that the part numbers were the same. Now I have to wait for another group to review this, to see if they will replace the assembly under the warranty extension.

The assembly is about $50 and looks rather simple to replace. The dealerships want $100 in labor, to replace it.

Although I can replace it myself, I feel that Chrysler should own up and fix it for free, as that is what they told NHTSA they would do.

For those that are unfamiliar with the way this MFS works, all functions are only on 4 pins. It uses resistance levels to determine what the computer should do. If the resistance values are wrong, the computer will do something other than expected. Sometimes, you can turn on the right blinker and the computer activates the left blinker or hazards. For me, I've had blinkers that decide not to turn on and my windshield wipers decide what they want to do. This morning, I caught up to a trailer. The wipers were on intermittent. The trailer was throwing a lot of water on me. So, I turned the wipers on low. They stayed on intermittent. I tried high. They stayed on intermittent. I passed the truck. When I went to signal to move over into the right line, the wipers went to high.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:10 PM

does the 2005 Ram 2500 use the same part. I have a similar problem with my wipers.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:25 PM

I'm not sure if it is the same part number; however, it does have a lot of complaints as well.