Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-16-2014, 03:07 PM

Biggrin Frozen Ignition Lock

Last night as I was getting in my Ram to go to work, I dropped my keys in the snow. I picked them up and blew off the snow, got in and started up.

This morning when I got off at 7:00 AM, I got in the truck, put in the key and it wouldn't turn. It felt funny going in the slot. I worked it in and out and tried everything, but it just wouldn't turn. I figured that it was probably frozen because the key was wet when I put it in last night.

I went back in the station and borrowed a cigarette lighter. I returned to the truck and warmed the key up with the lighter. After a couple of tries, it broke free and I was able to start the truck.

Once home, I thought I would try the other key that I have never used in case the old key was borderline. In the time it took me to go in the house, get the other key and return to the truck, it was frozen again.

I let it sit because I needed to get some sleep. Several hours later, I tried again and it worked OK. The ambient temperature had risen enough that whatever ice was in the lock had melted. I went into town and got a container of lock de-icer and a tube of graphite. I gave the lock a dose of each. It seems to be alright now.

Next time I drop my keys in the snow,I will be sure to thoroughly dry them off before shoving them in any lock.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:29 PM

had to read your story because I'm developing a ignition mechanism phobia about future possible trouble with the ignition on my 98 3/4 ton Quad cab. Scaird because a couple of years ago(truck now with 105,000 miles) I pulled up somewhere with the engine running and the key in the running position and discovered that I could REMOVE THE KEY WITH IT RUNNING AND THE MECHANISM STILL IN THE ON POSITION ! I love it because if I pull up somewhere and just want to run inside quick I just leave it run in Park and lock the doors and don't have to have two sets of keys LOL take my key ring and keys with me.

What soon problems does this defect indicate I'm about to have?

How many miles before I should for sure expect starter trouble on this truck? anyone have any good guess when they wear out?
Old 08-08-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick View Post
It felt funny going in the slot. I worked it in and out.
After reading that I lost track of the subject.