Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-03-2015, 01:41 PM

Default Dodge Truck V10?

Can anyone give me any info concerning a Dodge V10 truck? I know nothing of these and thinking about purchaseing one. Its a 4x4 extended cab is all i know about the truck as of now. Im totaly new to the Dodge V10 trucks and any and all info i greatly appreciate. Thanks
Old 08-03-2015, 10:36 PM

I've driven a few. Lots of torque. But I don't think it was a very popular engine.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:51 PM

Whatever you do don't ever get the stupid idea that i had and decided since I'm down here in Florida it would be better to run straight 30W oil instead of the recommended 10W-30W .....started one of my hydraulic lifters clanging until the oil and engine would warm up.....and after three oil changes with the correct weight with the last one bein Amsoil to fix it . If I go up North even with the Amsoil then I have the lifter problem again. Must take eons for that wrong weight oil to work its way back outta the oil circuits inside that lifter. At 52 years old thought I was gonna loose my first engine/transmission/ or rear end in a vehicle. I imagine all the magnums have the same hydraulic lifter my V-10 has.

My truck is a 4x4 Quad-cab 3/4 ton with 4 tires and I can get 15 mpg on the highway at 70 mph.

If ya get one take the valve covers off and gently retorque the head bolts.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVMopar View Post
I've driven a few. Lots of torque. But I don't think it was a very popular engine.
How did you like the way it drove and performed. Thinking about purchaseing this one when i can find out more info.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78RedExpress View Post
Whatever you do don't ever get the stupid idea that i had and decided since I'm down here in Florida it would be better to run straight 30W oil instead of the recommended 10W-30W .....started one of my hydraulic lifters clanging until the oil and engine would warm up.....and after three oil changes with the correct weight with the last one bein Amsoil to fix it . If I go up North even with the Amsoil then I have the lifter problem again. Must take eons for that wrong weight oil to work its way back outta the oil circuits inside that lifter. At 52 years old thought I was gonna loose my first engine/transmission/ or rear end in a vehicle. I imagine all the magnums have the same hydraulic lifter my V-10 has.

My truck is a 4x4 Quad-cab 3/4 ton with 4 tires and I can get 15 mpg on the highway at 70 mph.

If ya get one take the valve covers off and gently retorque the head bolts.
Thanks for the detailed info. Thats what i was looking for. Like i said im thinking about purchaseing the truck, but want to know of any known problems to look for and or problems they may already be wrong with it. Wasnt for sure if the V10's were lemons or not. Really thinking about getting the truck just didnt want something with known problems that i got to fix. Im not knocking the trucks i just dont know anything about them.
Old 04-10-2023, 03:59 PM

For myself and anyone like the OP who would buy this motor/truck many years after its discontinuance.....it is well known that one serious problem you can run into is stock truck valvetrain problems where I think the bolts holding rocker arms to head begin breaking off. Thought had been that the hydraulic roller lifters begin dysfunction causing the problem.

For someone wanting a completely different rocker set-up at the same time they are porting the heads and going to a slightly higher lift slightly longer duration cam....can anyone suggest a better cam/possible solid roller lifters/roller rockers/better push rods ? Would a different lifter uncover major oil holes or galleys in the lifter bores causing oil pressure loss?

Last edited by 78RedExpress; 04-10-2023 at 06:39 PM.