Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:03 PM

Default Shoulder harness/seat belt won't release

98 Ram 2500HD 4x4 with 105K miles ....had a new drivers seat(leather) in the first month of life because that solenoid that is built into the back of the leather seat that releases the shoulder harness was drawing too much juice and running the battery down. Truck is a Quad-Cab . Have had the middle seat and the passengers seat unbolted and Out of truck for over a year and obviously had unplugged the wiring harnesses that went to those seats. Have used the seatbelt in the drivers seat regularly but for months have had trouble getting it to pull out so you can put on the belt .....both when you get in the truck and after you start it ......got used to driving a ways and gently pulling on it and most times it would release and you could pull it out all the way and put the seat belt on . Might be when your a quarter of a mile down the road though. Recently couldn't get it out no matter what I did . have unhooked it down where it hooks to the side of the seat under the plastic in hopes that letting it ratchet in a little ways would enable me to get it back out.....now unhooked down below and all the way in up above where the belt latch is keeping it from going in any further ......checked my fuse number 16 which is good and it shouldn't matter but the relay in the fuse block that goes to power seat works to ...unhooked the electrical junction under the right side of the seat that looks like it goes up into the seat back . You see four electrical contacts in there and there seems to be 7.7 volts between the one contact and the other three whether the ignition is on or not . One of the four wires (blue/white) on the seat side of the connector is cut off like it's never been used . Wonder why three wires are needed going up into that solenoid rather than just one or two? Kinda screwed here with no seat belt now at all . Also for years I've know that that solenoid is hooked to fuse number 12 that runs the overhead cab light and map lights and you used to be able to put your hand up against the seat back and plug and unplug fuse number 12 and feel that solenoid activating and deactivating...wonder why I only have seven volts going to it? should I hook twelve volts to it and see if solenoid activates? If so which of the three of four wires would i put the juice to? Any ideas? What fuse could I pull outta the fuse block to be guaranteed of NO airbag deployment since I have no belt ??? Cant tear that enclosed leather seat apart without ruining it totally . Was thinking about taking another belt like the middle seat one laying there in the cab and unhooking it and rehooking it to the place where the original one hooked and then the other end of it would plug right into the same receptacle and provide atleast an ole fashioned lower belt with no shoulder strap LOL What junk this is !