Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-12-2000, 08:05 PM
Inactive User

Question

I need some new pics of my truck, and I want a good burnout picture. The question I have is if I hold the brake and floor it for about 5-10 seconds will that screw up my rear brakes?
Or is there a better way to really smoke it up? I'm new at this burnout thing, I never had a car that went over 40..

thanks craig
Old 07-12-2000, 09:07 PM
Inactive User

Well I have done a few burn outs that way with my ss/t, no problems with the rear breaks so far. I imagine that if you do one for long enough you could glaze your break pads over. I would say it is probably ok. Besides your front breaks will do 80% of your stopping anyway.
Old 07-13-2000, 02:16 AM
300HP~300M

Right now I only have a wanker V6, I'm getting a crate engine so don't make fun of me!!!! Anyways, I can usually get a good "chirp" off the line by just Stabing the gas with my foot on the pedal and as soon as you "hear" your engine past the 2000 rpm or 2500 rpm mark I let go of the brake quickly. I would assume that if I did the same thing in a 300 HP version it probably peal out!!!!!
Old 07-13-2000, 03:22 AM

Cool

I have Goodyear Wranglers on and I've been looking for an excuse to justify new tires to the wife. One way I have found to do this is pull up next to a Ford or Chevy. Left foot on the brake pedal keeping an eye on the light. When the opposite light turns yellow start depressing the accelerator until you feel it slowly breaking them loose. When the light changes, floor it and let off the brake. Makes a lot of smoke, especially the right rear. No problems with the brakes so far, but I have only done it hard twice.

My buddy thought it was his Powerstoke acting up as I left him in a cloud
Old 07-13-2000, 03:23 AM
Inactive User

Do you have posi? That'll make a huge difference. If you don't, you can just sit there and burn em till your tires blow. You might not want to do that though. Burnouts are one of my favorite things to do. I've held em for the length of a red light before (so much smoke you couldn't even tell who was doin it anymore). No brake problems (except for goin through front pads alot).

If you have posi like I do now, you might want to find a larger area. With both wheels spinnin, trucks tend to fishtail alot. I actually almost smacked into the wall at the track before. I found the best way to do it in this case is to keep the rpms low. Brake torque em till the wheels break loose and keep the rpms just high enough to keep em spinnin. This helps from whippin the truck around too much.

One more thing, if you don't want rubber on your bed behind the wheel, try that burnout guard stuff. I've still got rubber on mine from 3 years ago and it dont wanna come off. Luckily my trucks black

------------------
97 Ram 318 auto
for more info check out my
web site
www.gouge97.homepage.com
Old 07-13-2000, 04:32 AM
Inactive User

Smile

You can buy a gallon of "VHT" Track bite and that will give you traction in a bottle !!!!

Squirt some water all over the ground and spin on that !!!

------------------
"Good Luck on your project."
Mid Michigan MOPAR Enthusiasts
Old 07-13-2000, 12:52 PM
Inactive User

Thanks guys, I can't wait to get out of work and find me a ford at a red light!
And yes I do have posi, thanks for telling me about the fishtail I didn't think about that, I'll have to watch where I light em up at ....
thanks again
Old 07-13-2000, 02:45 PM
Self proclaimed expert

Throw some bleach and water on your back tires before you power brake. Loads of smoke, I kinda think this is cheating though. Powerbraking can't hurt your front brake pads sense there is no movement between the pad and the rotor until you let off the brake and start to roll. If you let off the brake a little after the tire gets going good, you can usually pick up some RPMs without moving. Definately do it on the smoothest pavement possible or you will burn a lot of tread. I have never had a MOPAR get damaged by doing burnouts, and I do alot of them.
Old 07-19-2000, 02:43 AM
Inactive User

Wink

suggest for super cheating if your going just for show, or picture add air to rear tires (should give less contact patch)---don't forget to lower pressure afterwards-- then roll on to wet pavement... could always add line lock (don't know if they're compatable with ABS) used to pull horror shows with 74 (actually lit leaves in gutter on fire once) using line lock, also seemed to go through my fair share of master cylinders (again don't know if related)
Old 07-19-2000, 03:28 AM

the breaks are not the problem its the added strain on the drivetrain when you are on the brake and pushing the gas t the same time.

remember the harder you push on the brake to stop rolling when you step on the gas to spin them the rear brakes are also trying to stop the wheels.

Back in my senior year of high school a buddy of mine had a s-10 blazer. One day after school when the whole world was watching, we were waiting for the busses to leave and he was in front of me. He pulled back into me and then just let it loose while I had my brake on. the air was full of smoke(he spun them for at least 2 minutes straight).

Well the next day everyone was talking about it and wondered what I could do to top it.
I had a fullsize 88 blazer with a alot of performance parts on it. So we all left and I decided to let it rip(peer persure is a bitch) I started it up and brake torqued it right there in the space I was parked in. I had 31's on it and it fishtailed all the way out of the space and then I just let it sit there for like a minute and then I let off the brake and then something bad happened. I felt and herd a huge bang and I believe the truck even hopped alittle. The truck stoped and the engine died. I started it back up and put it in gear and it wouldn't go anywhere, almost like it was in nutral. I then put it in park and got out. the rear end cover looked like someone shot it with a shootgun and gear lub was pooring out. You could see metal shaving in the oil.

well I had it twoed to the shop and here is what went wrong.

turned the entire rear end into liquid.
Bent the rear driveshaft
Broke the transfer case chain
cracked the transfer case housing
cracked the front drive shafts yoke
and 2 weeks later the trans went out

thank god I got a deal on fixing it.

I try not to power brake with my ram.

just someting to think about next time you decide to make a smokey burn out.
Old 07-19-2000, 07:07 AM

Cool

Another good trick for the street is disconnect the windshild washer reservior hose and extend it back to the rear wheels. Before your ready to go, soap them up a little and put on a show. Had a buddy who did this in a Subaru brat, only way he could burn out.
Old 07-20-2000, 01:17 AM
Inactive User

re; windshield washer res.---- a million years ago when RR's first came out and nitro, not not nitrous, was available. Some fools around here loaded res. with it and goosed the pump with the foot button to add it to carb, duh, one res later (nitro melted it) and one motor he decided it was really not the way to go.