Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-18-2000, 05:52 PM
Inactive User

Arrow

(Full article in the diesel chat) I have steering problems, wheels won't turn when stopped, chrysler has washed their hands of me saying my tires are to big. Have returned them back to stock since and they still won't deal with me. Any suggestions as to what I should do, or maybe what the problem is. Thanks

Jon
Old 11-19-2000, 05:21 PM
Inactive User

This could be many things, kind of hard to diag without experiencing. I know I've had a couple of customers have some concerns about stiff steering, especially in parking lot manuevers. Your truck has hydroboost assisted steering similar to what the older Chev diesels used. In tight steering situations it's less than ideal as with the lower rpm's of the diesel. I believe there is a TSB that fully explains this, but I would have to look at work to be sure. However if you are losing all your assist it may be time to try a different dealer. Did they replace or test the hydroboost?
Old 11-19-2000, 08:03 PM
Inactive User

Question

Yes the dealer has replaced the hydro boost (everything but the steering wheel and the linkage). And now that they've done this they don't want to mess with it anymore because the don't know what's wrong with it, this was said by the shop forman, service writer, and service manager. The Tech inspector has come out to look at it and he said it was normal, but said it was aggravated by my P285 tires. I've since then returned the tires back to stock size and still no difference and still no help from anyone. I could understand a little stiffness in those trucks, but these tires feel like they are glued to the ground, I can's even turn the wheel one revolution, that's not normal.

Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 11-20-2000, 04:54 AM
Inactive User

Had the same problem with my diesel with the larger tires. I had to inch forward or backward to get things going. Once you start to move a bit it seems to loosen things up. I know that this is not a fix but it does get you goin'.