Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-02-2001, 01:39 AM
Inactive User

Smile

Thanks for the info on my questions about MP computer. I changed to Autolite 3923 and the knock has gone away. I know it was only a test drive but it was first time in a long while it sounded like it should. First tune up I will change to Accel or MSD wires or if knock returns then change thermostat. No oil in plenum that I could see looking through throttle body but it was evident on bottom of air filter, normal? If it returns I'll post again if wires and thermostat don't cure problem. Thanks again RED T/A
Old 02-03-2001, 07:15 AM
Banned

red, hehe well im glad you've had luck with our advice...i STILL haven't gotten my 3923's in yet. I'm gettin them in tomorrow morning! wish me luck hehe.

kirkyg
Old 02-03-2001, 03:01 PM
Inactive User

2 of the plugs I pulled had reddish brown spots on them(cyl 2-4) the rest looked like normal wear on the insulators but a little carbon on the electrodes. So I figure I'll run an additive for a tank or two, any recomendations? Hope there's no fouling with the new plugs I'll check next weekend after a couple hundred miles. Thanks again DC should use this board to help them fix their own trucks!!
Old 02-03-2001, 03:10 PM
LARGE member

Thumbs up

Just glad to be able to help ya, REDT/A.

------------------
Doug

96 1500 SLT 318 reg cab
true duals...no cat...boom tubes
Richmond 4.10's
Auburn diff
Flowtech headers
Throttle body and cold-air intake by Redneck Engineering
Old 02-03-2001, 03:28 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

I hope you get similar results with the plugs, the truck runs better all around idle/response/power! I originally got on this site for questions on my car but now I get my truck fixed also I couldn't get all this info in one place even if I paid for it elsewhere!
Old 02-03-2001, 06:32 PM
Banned

How long did you wait to change our plugs. The first time i changed them i dont remember any carbon deposits on mine...they were a little burnt looking but thats it.

kirkyg
Old 02-03-2001, 07:53 PM
Inactive User

16500 miles, thats all the mileage on truck. I was used to living with the knock because of dealer runaround,and I wasn't paying another mech to do a bunch of part changing hunt and peck fixing. If I knew of this board before, I would have changed them before delivery of the truck.

------------------
RED T/A
2000 QC 1500
70 Mr.Norm's Challenger T/A
Old 02-03-2001, 09:18 PM
Banned

Was having some occasional sluggish starting...put the plugs in fired up perfect. So far im impressed but i have not road tested yet gotta wash her up real nice first .

kirkyg
Old 02-03-2001, 11:41 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Well at least I know it's not just in my head about better performance keep me posted as to the all around performance from this change. Do you have stock wires/ign.? This is a definite upgrade soon for me before any arcing occurs and that dreaded noise returns. My truck is bone stock mostly because it is my company's truck and the car is getting repainted and massaged for the summer cruises.

------------------
RED T/A
2000 QC 1500 4x4
Old 02-04-2001, 04:52 AM
Banned

WOW..it really does give you a little more power. I hammered it gettin up on the highway earlier and man it did really feel like it was pushing harder. IT ran really smooth too...i dont like champion plugs anymore...they run like s h * t compared to those autolites. I might add that so far i have not heard a single ping since i isntalled them...i can nearly always make it ping lightly around 40-44 mph when it kicks into od. I couldn't make it do it which is an excellent sign.

kirkyg
Old 02-04-2001, 05:11 AM
Inactive User

Mine was doing it (worst) when it would kick down a gear or when it struggled to stay in a gear. Usually I'm not lucky like this, it is usually the most expensive and elaborate repairs I have to have done. I never thought just plugs could make such a difference I'll never have doubt in your suggestions (unless you ask me to cash a third party out of state check)!!!

------------------
RED T/A
2000 QC 1500 4x4
Old 02-04-2001, 05:23 AM
LARGE member

Wink

Kirkyg:
One thing to remember is that, no matter the brand, new plugs will ALWAYS perform better than old, worn plugs. If you had replaced your old Champions with new Champions, you still would have seen a performance improvement.
REDT/A:
I am glad we were able to help. Now haw about some pics. And what's next on the list for your Ram?

------------------
Doug

96 1500 SLT 318 reg cab
Richmond 4.10's
Auburn diff
Flowtech headers
Throttle body and cold-air intake by Redneck Engineering
Old 02-04-2001, 05:35 AM
Inactive User

Well buddy don't boot me out of the RAM club but my car is getting painted and prepped for the car show season so the only thing my money maker will get in the next few months is a trailer for the car. But she is treated well cleaned,maintinanced before factory guidelines for mileage. But I am going to purchase new MSD/Accel/or KEM wires to keep voltage where it belongs. And if I decide to keep it longer than usual 2-3 years I will upgade ign. and computer. Unfortunatly it is my company's truck and a Kenne Belle SC is not a write-off the accountant will let me take.

------------------
RED T/A
2000 QC 1500 4x4
Old 02-04-2001, 05:40 AM
Banned

shred, those plugs were only 6k miles old .

kirkyg
Old 02-04-2001, 06:10 AM
Inactive User

Smile

SC by the way no scanner here Flame red,4x4 alum 3 spoke and a dent in the d@^n bumper(my fault). Are you close to Myrtle? There every year best beach on the east coast. I know it is hard to imagine my truck not like its on any of the 100 commercials for RAM trucks a day (solid red no two tone)!!!

------------------
RED T/A
2000 QC 1500 4x4
Old 02-06-2001, 03:48 AM
LARGE member

Arrow

About two hours from Myrtle Beach.

------------------
Doug

96 1500 SLT 318 reg cab