Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-20-2001, 01:34 PM
Inactive User

Wut do you think?
Old 02-20-2001, 01:55 PM
Self proclaimed expert

That comes down to personal preference. You get the same engine with all three. The Dakota is quicker but if you don't like a small truck is it worth it? Handling wise, All three are very even and hold with the lightning through the slalom.

I almost bought an R/T but I didn't like the new Daks as much as I like my 92. I'll be swapping a 5.9 into my 92 and remedy the situation

SS/T Vs. Indy? Which one looks better to you. I can't really decide. In 98 you got 5hp more but you can't really feel that.

Other than 1/4 mile times they are really close in power and handling. They are all three very well balanced sport trucks. I would take any of them for free but when it came down to paying for one availabilty and personal preference picked the SS/T for me.

If I had to take one and keep it bone stock forever I'd take my 98 SS/T. I couldn't put up with a 99mph speed limiter. Hopefully they don't still have it on the newest R/T's
Old 02-20-2001, 03:42 PM
Addicted Member

Cool Indy is better

Well you can guess what I'm gonna say,I think the Indy is the best of all 3, but now the 5.9 Dakota R/T is a bad bi#@h,the SS/T is sweet also but they made those for 2 years and a few colors to choose from,the Indy came in 1 color and only made in 1 year,so to me that makes it special.But that is only my opinion.
Old 02-20-2001, 05:12 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

I agree with you Indyram96!!! Indy all the way!!!
Old 02-20-2001, 10:04 PM
Inactive User

The Indy is simply the best. How many times do I see Indys on the road? Not very many but when I do it is cool to wave to someone else who knows the feeling that the Indy provides.
Old 02-21-2001, 02:45 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin

Well i love my indy, especially now that it looks different than the rest that i have seen around here anyway. But the 98 ss/t has a much nicer interier, more user frendly. But the brakes leave a lot to be desired on the indy,s if your in to road racing on the back roads like i am. Also they should have given these trucks more power to go with the agressive look, example r/t package, and pcm.
Old 02-21-2001, 09:57 AM

Thumbs up

Well Im sure you guys know which is my favorite.The INDY of course.But I agree mopar should have put the r/t package& a few other go fast goodies in this truck to go with its agrresive look. I will say this though, for every Indy that you see on the road you will see atleast 5 sst's.I love the rarity of my truck.To me that makes it "THE BEST".
Old 02-21-2001, 10:11 AM
Self proclaimed expert

actually its roughly 2 to 1 overall and less 98 SS/Ts were built than INDYs
Here's a rough production breakdown.

96Indy 2800
97SS/T 3700
98SS/T 2500

All three are rare enough.
Old 02-21-2001, 12:02 PM
Addicted Member

Actually they made approx. 6,000 of the Indy's and only 2,802 of them have benn recorded.

See below:
According to Mike Rosenau, Chrysler's truck public relations manager, approximately 6000 of the special editions rolled off the line in Warren, Michigan, meaning that while they're not exactly the hen's teeth of the auto world, you certainly won't be running into one on every corner, either.
Old 02-21-2001, 12:22 PM

Check out www.indyram.org We have put lots of effort into finding the actual number of Indy Rams made, and the 2,802 number is what we believe to be the total produced. Of those, 150 were are the track on race day in May.

Clay
Old 02-21-2001, 12:46 PM
Addicted Member

Lightbulb

That is where I got my information from,what you read is a cut-n-paste from the actual web site and I know this to be true because I did the homework myself from the mopar plant in Dodge City.
Old 02-21-2001, 01:18 PM
Banned

Comes down to personal preference. If I had my choice I would have chose an Indy, but couldn't get one when I wanted it. Had, to then settle for the SS/T, wanted the black one, thats my favorite, but didn't have the money to buy a new one and couldn't find a good used one when I bought my used white one. So, do I like them all hell yeah. Are they sweet looking, that goes without saying. They look great completely dirty. Would I buya Dak R/T, without a doubt. Just remember who stripes on their trucks first, Dodge, and all the rest had to copy. I guess imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

Chris
Old 02-21-2001, 01:55 PM
Banned

Biggrin

well my name is cmyindy so you know what i have and love the best thanks cmyindy
Old 02-21-2001, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by IndyRam96
That is where I got my information from,what you read is a cut-n-paste from the actual web site and I know this to be true because I did the homework myself from the mopar plant in Dodge City.
I know what it says. I have a copy of that magazine. The point is Dodge doenst know how many they made. Everytime someone calls they come up with a different excuse that they do not know how many were made. Currently the Indy Ram Club says the total produced was 2,802. Reguardless of what the article says.

I have a friend that actually helped make the sticker packages, and the original run was under 3,000 sticker packages. He no longer works there, but I tend to think that 2,802 is under 3000.

Clay
Old 02-21-2001, 08:20 PM
Inactive User

Of course you know my answer because of my signature. I know for a fact that one of the "98" SS/T White with Blue Stripes is the best looking, best running truck on the road today. Of course I'm talking about the one sitting in my driveway. Indy or SS/T, most of you see yours in the same way I bet.
Is it just me, or does the Indy sit higher than the SS/T, or is the SS/T wider than the Indy. Haven't seen that many, but they seem very different somehow.
Oh yeah, Chrysler representive or truck club? Hard question
SS/Teve
Old 02-22-2001, 01:54 PM
I love my SS/T!

Well since I own a 97 Black/Silver, I will say it is the best for personnal reasons. I really like the color scheme on the Indys, but I do not like the R/Ts. I test drove and the power was good, but I got stuck behind a mini-van and could not see see around it. Not a big deal, then I was telling the salesman that I wanted to put on a Class 3 receiver hitch and he told me that the R/T could not tow over 1800 lbs. I understand that it is a sport truck, but it is a V8. I had (not anymore) a Ford Ranger that could tow more than that and it was a four cylinder. At least with the SS/Ts and Indys you can tow if you needed to.
Old 02-22-2001, 02:36 PM

Yeah, that does suck about the R/T. But its not that big a problem really. The reason for the decreased load capacity is from the lowered rear suspension. If you load the truck w/ 5000 lbs (class III hitch), it will squat so much that you will bottom out the rear suspension, becuase its lowered.

Add some overload air bags to the back and you should be home free!

Clay
Old 02-22-2001, 06:06 PM
I love my SS/T!

Ya, but I found a SS/T instead. I like the stripes a lot on the Indys and SS/Ts. The R/T don't have that, "Pull me over, I'm speeding" at a hundred yards look. R/T is lower to the ground and lighter (I think), but still would not trade my SS/T for one.

Bob
Old 02-22-2001, 06:56 PM
Inactive User

I would take an Indy or a "97-98" SS/T. The R/T is a small truck, which automatically rules it out for me. My Daddy-in-Law told me one time, "little trucks are okay, but if it's rainin', where ya gonna put your groceries? Just not big enough. I've got a lot of room in my SS/T, more than I first thought. Just my opinion.
SS/Teve
Old 02-22-2001, 08:24 PM
Inactive User

SweetnLow, is that your site? I have been registered there for about 2 years and I finally got around to figuring who had the lowered Indy in that Hooters pic. I was wondering who I could tell my new email addy to so that I can get all of the updates as the last time I changed it I didn't get a reply for quite a while.

Thanks.