Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-01-2001, 03:42 AM
Inactive User

I am thinking about adding some fender flares to my 2001 2500qc but have not seen any Rams around with them to get an idea of how they will look. My truck is Red/Silver so I don't know whether to have them painted or leave them black. Any opinions on brands, painted or unpainted appreciated. Pictures would be even better! Thanks in advance...
Old 03-01-2001, 09:21 AM

There are a few nice brands of flares out there. I like the xenon ones personally. (I don't have any flares on my truck as I don't think the stock tires are wide enough - but I do have opinions )

If your truck is red and silver, do you mean two-tone or red with chrome. If it's two tone(with the silver on the bottom) then I would suggest painting the flares to match the silver. If it's red w/chrome I would suggest painting them red.

www.bushwacker.com
www.warn.com

There are many other brands and sites out there I just don't remember them off hand. Look at these two sites, they both have examples of flares on RAMS.
Old 03-01-2001, 10:05 AM

Check out JCwhitney they are selling a set of four for just over $200. These are the bushwacker extenda flares. They will give you about 2" of extra coverage.
Old 03-01-2001, 10:56 AM
Inactive User

Default a few flaring thoughts

The fender flares are manufactured by Xenon are made out of a polyurethane material. They differ greatly from those produced by Bushwacker, in that the Bushwacker flares are made of ABS plastic.

The composition of Xenon flares allows them to collide with an object (like a tree or rock) without cracking or breaking. Plastic will.

One other nice quality about Xenon is: from what I have seen they are the best fitting (that is to say, match the body lines etc.)

I don't have fender flares, but if I were going to buy some - Xenon would get my hard earned $$$
Old 03-01-2001, 11:44 AM

Biggrin

These are Mopars own flares. There just like xenon.
Old 03-01-2001, 07:27 PM
I C U STaRiN'

I've got the bushwhackers on my truck. I wouldn't recommend them. They don't fit vey well and are prone to breaking. Pretty much everyone I've talked to hasn't been happy with the fit and some had broken theirs. Here's a pic of my truck with Bushwhackers.
Old 03-01-2001, 10:15 PM

Thumbs up Bushwaker

I like my Bushwackers, had them for three years now look like new,

Old 03-01-2001, 11:49 PM
Inactive User

Wink

I have the Mopar flares on my Ram......and they make it stand out a little more......Sorry i don't have any pics yet.....waiting till this summer to take them.....plus i'll have all my mods on then....
Old 03-02-2001, 08:18 AM
Inactive User

Personally I like the mopar flares but only if you have larger than stock tires.
Old 03-02-2001, 08:59 AM
Inactive User

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts on the flares... and the pictures are great. You guys have some awesome looking trucks out there. I think I have decided on the mopar flares painted to match my red over silver. I do have a little larger than stock tires, BFG 285's, and the mopar looked like they would provide protection but were not quite as "flared" as the other brands.... needed flare when you are running the size tires some of you are running. Thanks again for the ideas.... I will post a picture when it is completed.
Old 03-03-2001, 07:44 PM
Inactive User

I have the Mopar Flares I have had nothing but bad
luck,I have a 2001 dodge ram 1500 Quad cab,I am on
my second set ,the flares keep pulling away from the
body ,they have cleaned the area were the flares are
attached to the body,They have used different tape
they have now been try to get in touch with somebody from enginering who makes the flares ,I hope
they can recomend something,Other wise they are
coming off,also the Dodge dealer is the one who installed these and they told me my truck was not the
only one that was doing this,the dealer said the 99 &
2000 trucks they were not having this problem just the
2001,if any body has any ideas on how I can make these fit tight to the body I would really appreciate it.
Thanks Jim
Old 03-04-2001, 12:14 AM
Inactive User

Good information and just in time.. I think I will look further into the problems you are having. The other brands, from what I have read, require drilling and are secured with screws in the fender well. Maybe I need to keep looking for a flare the size of Mopar flares but secured by screws instead of adhesives. A floppy flare would not be a good thing...
Old 03-04-2001, 12:50 AM
Inactive User

The Mopar flares are attached to the inside of the fender wells with screws,but the
thick part of the flare that has the tape butts up to the body,to me its like the flare
is not perfectly formed with the body,thats why they tryed another set of flares,I will
let you know what happens see ya.
Old 03-04-2001, 01:33 AM

I think the problem with the mopar flares pulling away from the body is due to the lack of heat. When the flares are installed the tape is cold and does not stick as well. A heat gun would probaly help. If the tape is warm or hot upon application it would probably stick better.
Old 03-04-2001, 09:28 AM

Default Bushwacker

The bushwackers don't use tape they fit snuggly against the body if installed properly you have to take a little time and trim them perfectly for a great fit. If some body tells you that the Bushwackers don't fit good it is probabaly because they didn't take the time to do right.

Aluminum Pop rivets used to install.

Old 03-04-2001, 03:26 PM
Inactive User

I have the Zenon flares. Zenon makes the Mopar ones. You should make sure they are hot (leave them in the sun or gently heat them with a heat gun)
. If they pull away alittle, heat 'em up and put pressure on them for a couple of minutes. The 3m tape should get a grip then.....

Ron