Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-01-2001, 08:41 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin Have a '03 4x4 Dually with a ...... in it!!

Yes, we do have a 2003 Ram Quad Cab (4 door) 3500 Dually 4x4 at work. I noticed it sounded funny, so I asked whats under the hood? He popped it open, low & behold was a 6.3(?)L Mercedes diesel! The engineer said it is the same engine used in the Frightliner medium trucks, but "detuned" to 550 lft of torque. I forgot what he said was the HP, so I'll ask. I took a look under the front end & seen a bigger front axle that looked different. I remembered that DC did not award Dana the contract for axles on the new Rams, but gave it to American Axle Co. in Detriot. They beefed up the whole front end from what I seen at a quick look. Will get a better look tomorrow & see what else I can see. Before anyone asks - NO I can't get any pics. I could loose my job if caught taking any. SORRY!!!
Old 07-01-2001, 09:25 AM
Banned

Question

Your profile says you're a FORMER mopar tech so what's your problem??? Send those pics!!!!!!!
Old 07-01-2001, 11:55 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin

if you are in wooster ohio tell me how to get there from cincinnati and i'll not only take the pics for ya but i'll post 'em on here too.
Old 07-01-2001, 12:02 PM
Inactive User

Yes pics would be nice.
Old 07-01-2001, 02:43 PM

Was is it a quad cab or 4 real doors?
Old 07-01-2001, 03:35 PM
Inactive User

Smile

Well at least the 3/4 and 1 tonners will have a REAL axle under the front instead of an IFS.

MERCEDES???!!!!!!!! I don't want no piece o' crap import diesel in an American Dodge!! Whether it's a good motor or not. The cummins is an extremely good motor with a lot of potential!!

What does it look like? Does it look like the '02 1/2 tons??

WE MUST KNOW MORE!!!!!
Old 07-01-2001, 05:50 PM
Inactive User

Red face Yes the body is the same as the 1500

We had a 1500 Quad 4x4 about 3 or 4 weeks ago & I got a good look at it to. Both have the same body & interior. That interior does nothing for me . To flat & cheap looking (aka Ford)! All of you have seen the 1500 pics, so you know what they all look like. I'm not to fond of the Mercedes diesel either. I have heard there very expensive to fix when they go down, but I hear there just as good as a Cummins. Time will tell...... Glad I bailed when I did!!! hehehe
Old 07-01-2001, 05:58 PM
Banned

interior sucks???? the pics looked awesome.

kirkyg
Old 07-01-2001, 09:51 PM
Inactive User

How could it have had the Mercedes diesel in it when Cummins was named the exclusive supplier of diesel engines for the next generation of HD Rams?
http://www.cummins.com/na/pages/en/m...6280C4A8F00000
Old 07-01-2001, 10:23 PM
Banned

did my post get deleted or something...this guy does not know what he is talking about? How about that is that not to mean of me? I'm simply stating the truth.

kirkyg
Old 07-02-2001, 12:47 AM

the following is from car-truck.com, chrysler, dodge, jeep edition

"the 2003 2500/3500 trucks will have the exact same sheet-metal as the 1500 (just like the current models do). When the heavier duty trucks debut for model year 2003, they will be available with the next generation Cummins diesel engine and will be available with dual rear wheels. As mentioned in last column they will have solid front axles. An updated version of the current 8.0 liter V10 and MB's new light truck diesel will also be part of the mix.

While the trucks won't be in dealerships until early September, you can go to your local Dodge dealer and order a Ram1500 right now. If you do, (and it fits the criteria for the first trucks being built) it should show up at your dealer along with their first allotment of trucks in September. There will only be a limited number of variations available at launch.

...received tons of letters from folks wondering about the new Ram's trim levels, colors and options. The truck will be available in four trim levels. The base model is the ST, with Sport, SLT and SLT+ packages available.

Each truck has a distinctive look. For example, in addition to having a body-colored grille like previous models, the grille on the new Sport features horizontal bars instead of the egg-crate style found on the other Rams. Perhaps the most distinctive looking is the grille on the SLT+ which features body color around the outside of the grille with a chrome center section.

Colors for the 2002 SLT and SLT+ will be: Atlantic blue pearl coat, black clear coat, bright silver metallic clear coat, bright white clear coat, dark Garnet red pearl coat, Flame red clear coat, Forest green pearl coat, Graphite metallic clear coat, light Almond pearl metallic clear coat, Patriot blue pearl coat. Two-tone paint will also be available. You will be able to combine each of the colors above with bright silver metallic clear coat. The Sport will only be available in: Atlantic Blue, black, silver, white, Flame red, and Graphite"

As you see, there will be "MB's diesel ...part of the mix"
So it is a good bet he does have a 2003 with the Mercedes diesel.
who's going to order themself's a 2002, 1500?
Me I'm going to wait for the 2003!
Old 07-02-2001, 02:16 AM
Inactive User

Smile

I would wait till the '03s come out with the new 353 Hemi. That motor will DEFINATELY be worth the wait!! I will have nothing less than a HEMI!!!
Old 07-02-2001, 01:18 PM
Banned

You sound so convinced the 5.7L will be in the 1500's...it may not be

kirkyg
Old 07-02-2001, 01:37 PM
Inactive User

Question

kpzbee-

1st-Are you SURE it's an '03??? Are they skipping a model year?? This is July 2001 isn't it??

2nd-Are you SURE it's an MB Diesel???

3rd-You said the interior is different. Is this 3500 the new body style or the current one?

4th-WHY can't you take any pics?? Do you work @ Area 51 or something???

If this is in fact a '03 3500 w/ a MB diesel, then we have a hell of a story on our hands for Car-Truck.com!!!

PLEEEEEAAAAAASSSSSEEEE! Give us some more info!!!!
Old 07-02-2001, 01:38 PM
Inactive User

Unhappy Say it ain't so!

Hey, don't burst my bubble!!!!

Then again.... leave it to Chrysler to louse up something like that.

I just don't think they're that stupid, though.
Old 07-02-2001, 01:40 PM
Banned

the interior is what makes our rams so awesome
along with the nice body style that we have. Dont gimme that crap about they made the inside look stupid. Show me picks or dont even say anything.
Old 07-02-2001, 01:41 PM
Inactive User

MMM,,As many times that I've been under my 2500 and the ones I work on both 2500 and 3500 I've never seen a independent front suspension axle,,I must be looking at the incorrect truck cause all that I've ever seen HAVE a solid front axle,both 2500 and 3500,with the coilover suspension,,And while were at it,how much more real of an axle do you need than a DANA??,,They are just about indestructable and with the aftermarket components available,darn near bulletproof,,DANAs not a real axle,tell that to all the Hemi and 6bbl car owners and watch them laugh at you,,I twist near 900 ft lbs or torque thru my rears on my CTD and the Danas handle it all,,I wouldn't want any other underneath......
Old 07-02-2001, 01:43 PM
Inactive User

Smile Pretty pretty please with a cherry on top!!

Come on kpzbee, you OWE it to us to get us a snapshot of it.

You are OBLIGATED to do so!!!

We are like a very hungry pack of wolves, we WILL get our prey!!

We will corner you and water log you if we must!!!

Old 07-02-2001, 02:59 PM
Banned

he can't because he has never seen one much less been in one...and especially a 2500-3500 deisel which the engines are not even finished yet and thus is the reason they are not coming out in 02'. Let him talk his noise but i can see right through that. Too many unanswered questions to be true.

As for the solid front axle...the 2500-3500's will continue to have a solid front axle who said otherwise? the ram 1500 is going to independant front suspension for a more comfortable ride like the other 1/2 ton pickups...but for many reasons its a good idea that dodge is keeping the full axle on the 3/4 / 1 ton pickups.

kirkyg
Old 07-02-2001, 03:25 PM
Inactive User

Default kirkyg

I totally agree....(on the 3/4 & 1 ton part)

The current 1/2 4wds ARE nice, especially the Off Roadster, but I would be willing to sacrifice a little ride height for a much improved ride.
Old 07-02-2001, 06:34 PM
Inactive User

Post Belive it or not.

I'm sorry guys, but I cannot take pictures without getting fired & putting the company in trouble. I like my new job & won't jeopardize it for some pictures of a truck that you already know what it looks like! I also said I didn't care for the interior. Just an opinion.
Top Bananna, Yes it is a Mercedes diesel. Can't mistake that star on the valve cover & since I've worked on Cummins diesel, I think I can tell one by now! It also had 3" exhaust on it out all the way out the back. I was checking it out today, as they had the trans out & it looked different than the 6 speed that they use now. Guess what, there's a star on it to! Yes a Mercedes 6 speed too! Guess this is a german company.......
The good news is that the crappy track bar has been changed to one that has ends on both sides like the end that attaches to the axle on current trucks!! The control arms are smaller, but are fully boxed for more strength. They did a awesome job on the frames! These have to be the strongest frames in the buisness. FULL BOXED from front to rear!! The American Axles are HUGE.
(Big Red - if you only had a clue as to the problems in the last 5 years that DC has had with Dana, you'd dump them to. This is coming from someone who has rebearing a bunch of them!)
We also have 2 other trucks that are interesting as well. One is a mule with a current standard cab & long bed with the next generation chassis under it. It has a Cummins with an Allison auto behind it! Remember they are not going to use that trans now. What a shame. The other one is also a 3500 Quad Cab(4 doors) 4x4 with a V10. It appears it is the current V10 still. It is all camouflaged in the front & sides. I can see it is an SLT+ with the chrome front end treatment. The interior is leather & does look nicer than the other truck which is plain.
If I see or hear more I will post it. I will try to answer any questions I can. As for me being full of it - anyone who's been on this board a while can vouch for me, ie BB, Ram Man Chris etc.
Old 07-02-2001, 06:37 PM

kirkyg & others, why is so hard for you to believe or trust what kpzbee has stated???? I doubt he would be foolish enough to take a forbidden pic "just" to prove his point here on the board.
Old 07-02-2001, 06:41 PM
Banned

LOL...well there are so many loop holes in what your saying.

the main thing i caught from your last statement was that there weree other new body style trucks...with allison trans's which we know isn't going to be in the new ones

so what makes you think the one with this diesel engine from mercedes will be in it either...probalby just a test truck in the first place? No reason to believe were going to be seeing that it has been CONFIRMED that chrysler will not be using anything but cummings in the next generation ram.

Why should i believe a person on a messageboard on the internet where lies rule that can't even show pictures over what DC themselves states. Thats where the hang up is.

kirkyg
Old 07-02-2001, 06:44 PM
Banned

btw it would be very easy to post the pick...all you would have to do is take the pic while noone was looking (make sure there are no security camera's) and then bring the pick to your house scan it or hook the digital camera up to your puter and get a new name on moparchat which cannot be traced to you
you might even get on a friends comp or something so they can't trace your ip if they were to go that far and then post the pick or just pass it to someone else who can post it and you were logically never involved...VERY easy.

kirkyg
Old 07-02-2001, 06:49 PM
Banned

Default AHHH found it...read read :)

" IT'S OFFICIAL
Cummins announced earlier today that Chrysler has chosen them as the exclusive diesel engine supplier for the next-generation Dodge Ram 2500/3500 pickup truck. "This commitment extends our long and successful relationship with Cummins through our next generation of Dodge Ram pickup trucks," said Tom Sidlik, Chrysler Group's Executive Vice President for Procurement and Supply. "The Chrysler Group values our relationship with Cummins and expects it to continue in the coming years."

"We are very pleased about this commitment which further strengthens our 13 year relationship with Dodge," said Larry O. Moore, Cummins Vice President and General Manager- Light Duty Automotive. "The 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 and 3500 models will assume the leadership position of their predecessors. Dodge/Cummins means a bullet-proof engine in a bold new Ram truck that will exceed customer expectations for performance, reliability and durability."

The Buzz from Auburn Hills is that the new light truck turbo diesel that DC's MTU unit is currently developing will eventually show up as an option on the Ram. The engine is said to be the primary diesel engine for the upcoming Dodge "DC" Chassis cab truck."

posted from car-truck.com
kirkyg
Old 07-02-2001, 06:57 PM
Inactive User

Exclamation One thing you have to remember is..

That these are prototype trucks & not necessarily what will see production. They always experiment with different combinations.
As for Cummins being exclusive - time will tell. It was also on car and truck news that DC WILL use Mercedes diesel also. Keep reading.
Old 07-02-2001, 07:01 PM
Banned

no i just found the info on car-truck...the press release was from cummins themselves...they aren't going to lie about that...DC would sue them. Which means there is no Mercedes Diesel so thats that. New subject.

kirkyg
Old 07-02-2001, 07:36 PM
Inactive User

Angry

Freakin Germans can take that MB diesel and shove it!!!!!!!!!!!

Nothin like a good 'ol American Iron Cummins!!!
Old 07-02-2001, 07:58 PM
Banned

yea i think they started to realize they were going to run chrysler into the grond if they did not start letting the US automaker make some decisions...no mercedes diesel will ever touch the power of a cummins. Even most ford and chevy owners admit the cummins the best diesel on the market hands down. Now its time for that hemi so we can take the v8 market back

kirkyg
Old 07-02-2001, 08:05 PM
Inactive User

Question kirkyg

sorry BUT I have to ask....................how old are ya