Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-29-2001, 06:22 PM
Inactive User

Question Fuel Filter

I just picked up a 1997 ,1500 4/4 with 18,000 miles on it ,the thing is just cherry . as I am in the process of changing all the fluids ,I started looking for the fuel filter ,and I must be an idiot or something ,but for the life of me I can'nt locate the thing! alittle help please!--Thanks -1Longbow
Old 10-29-2001, 06:35 PM
Banned

someone please correct me if i am wrong but, i thought in our rams the fuel filter and pump were pretty much one unit in the tank!!! I'm almost positive this is the case!!!
Old 10-29-2001, 06:56 PM
Banned

anybody got a picture!?

kirkyg
Old 10-29-2001, 07:09 PM
Banned

Picture of what? someone's face who has to ferret around to get a tank off?

would not be a pretty thing methinks. Would love to relocate it sometime.
Old 10-29-2001, 07:25 PM
Banned

thanks Mr. Mopar, Just out of curiousity, has anyone done it and how hard is it???
Old 10-29-2001, 07:26 PM
Banned

Red face guess i'm a ferret

Our trucks actually have TWO fuel filters. One looks like a mini air cleaner on the bottom of the pump assembly and the second one is inside the fuel pressure regulator located on top of the pump assembly. The tank has to be dropped to change the lower one but only has to be lowered about 6-12" to change the pressure regulator.

Dropping the tank isnt as bad as one might think. Getting all the fuel out is the key. I've dropped the tank twice. Once to change the fuel gauge sending unit and the second to change the whole pump. Once you get the majority of the fuel out (easily done if you have a working pump... just drive it around till its on E - if the pump dies your gonna need a siphon) or the majority of it (a couple of gallons wont matter too much), you disconnet all the hoses from the pump and the filler neck, put a floor jack under the tank and loosen the two straps that hold it to the truck. Remove the straps and then lower the jack and voila the tank is out. Then you can remove the nut holding the pump in place and make your repairs. Putting it back up is just the reverse of lowering it, not too much fuss. There are a few other little tricks but thats the jist. My old filter (lower) wasnt that dirty after almost 120k suprisingly enough so I wouldnt worry about changing it. If someone is serious about dropping the tank let me know and I can give more detailed instructions as I just changed my pump two weeks ago and its fresh in my mind.