Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-01-2001, 08:45 AM
Inactive User

Post Windshield wiper choices?

We have some nasty weather here in Arkansas around this time of year, and I can't seem to find a pair of wipers that perform very well. I have the Bosch wipers now, but still get streaks and skipped spots on the glass. Makes driving in heavy freeway traffic a bitch sometimes. I need some recommendations for wiper choices. This is important enough for me to try several choices to find a brand to suit me. How about Rain-X, etc. Any good rain repellent out there? Thanks for the suggestions!
SS/Teve
Old 12-01-2001, 11:22 AM
Inactive User

I have tried the Bosch Micro-Edge and the Anco Premium.

Although the $9 Anco Premium (Stk No. 31-20) did a better job of not streaking at low speeds the Anco 'arm' is bigger, stands out more than the Bosch, and has more support arms - this causes enough aerodynamic drag that the wiper 'lifts' off the glass of the Ram windshield at approximately 70-75 mph. Suddenly your wipers quit working. I couldn't accept this and went back to the Bosch.

I understand that some Rams came with aero 'wings' on the wipers to hold the arm against the glass but I have personally never seen a set like that.

Consumer's Reports test said that Anco Premium blades did second best of all tested. Best blade tested was the dealer replacement for a Toyota Camry. I wonder if any of the Toyota blades would fit a Ram?

The Dakota guys say this silicone based wiper blade is good but I haven't tried it yet:

http://www.sspinc.com/wipers.cfm
Old 12-01-2001, 03:06 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Thanks HankL, I'll check out the anco. Might hunt the web for some new wiper technology. Never know til you look. Thanks!
SS/Teve
Old 12-01-2001, 08:28 PM
Inactive User

Go with the Anco. I have used others, and nothing really compares. Much stronger with snow, too. $6.99 each at Autozone.

The Silblade ones that HankL posted about are kinda cool. They come in colors, and I know that JC Whitney offers a 10 year warranty on them. And supposedly they will never freeze to the glass. JCW sells them for something like $14 apiece.
Old 12-02-2001, 10:07 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Thanks Red Ram 318! I think I'll go by today, as it's been raining for three days straigt this week. More to come! Might check out the colored ones if they have white. Thanks!
SS/Teve
Old 12-02-2001, 04:31 PM
Inactive User

i was thinking the opposite. i used to have anco and they didnt last more than a few months. bosch are a very good wiper, i wouldnt use anything else.
my 2 cents
Old 12-03-2001, 02:26 PM
Inactive User

Default Try Rain X

I hightly recommend Rain X, I've used it since the mid 80's and it helps the wipers work better/last longer, and bugs come off very easily (and frost/ice doesn't stick very well either).. I always go with ANCO wipers (I think I have the Aerodavantage or something like that now). Be forewarned that unless you have changed them, you can't just buy refills (at least on a 97). Dodge put 20.5" blades on them.
Old 12-03-2001, 02:44 PM
Inactive User

I've always had good luck with cheap wipers, but then I don't really have to deal with much extreme weather. I try to change them once per year...
Old 12-03-2001, 05:16 PM
Inactive User

I also use two Rain-X products: the glass treatment and the pink colored additive you put in your windshield wiper fluid reservoir.

I would recommend both products. They are expensive but I do think they help keep the windshield clear and also seem to help a little at getting freshly killed bugs to clear off without leaving a grease smudge.
Old 12-03-2001, 05:23 PM
Inactive User

I work in a parts store and alot of people like rain x stuff. I would also try a teflon blade they work extremely well and last for a long time.
Old 12-03-2001, 06:28 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up TEFLON BLADES!

Honestly I've tried the Anco, Bosch, and Trico- Napa Brand silicone blades are the very best I've used. After 3-4 months, they were still leaving a perfect wipe. They are little steep, but its really worth it. Also- I can't help but think the lower resistance can do nothing but help keep your windshield from developing wear marks.
Old 12-04-2001, 07:11 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the suggestions. Think I'll try a set of anco silicone blades. I really wanted to hear something good about the Rain-x. Been wanting to try it, but didn't know if it was another product like the belt dressing in a spray you can buy. Think it squealed before, try this stuff and you'll hear some howling! Think I'll pick up some Rain-x today, as we're starting another run on the rain today. Thanks!
SS/Teve
Old 12-04-2001, 11:55 AM
Inactive User

My father used that belt dressing a few times when I was a kid and it worked, but it didn't work very long, it seems. Of course, that was on old style belts, not the serpentine style everything has now.
Old 12-04-2001, 07:37 PM
Inactive User

Red face

It probably did work better on older models. I've only tried it on a couple of trucks, both serpentine, and after the application, both trucks squealed like a pig from "Deliverance". If it did work well on the older belts, then it seems the company should have done a little research and testing to refine their product, or to create a better formula for serpentine belts. Of course, I don't know how many brands of this product are out there, so I can't dismiss all of them based on my experience with one brand. Thanks!
SS/Teve
Old 12-04-2001, 07:40 PM
Inactive User

"Squealed like a pig from 'Deliverance' "
Too funny!!!
Old 12-22-2001, 10:42 AM
Inactive User

I use triple edge. They seem to work well. I also use rain-x and their glass polish to clean my windows. Works really great on getting splattered bugs off my windshield in the summer. Great product.
Old 12-22-2001, 04:46 PM
Inactive User

Smile

That's another one I was wondering about. Works for the triple edge razors, why not wipers? Thanks!
SS/Teve