Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-02-2002, 08:21 PM
Inactive User

Default pcm question and tranny fluid question

im starting to kick myself for buying a 2001, anyway, Id like to find out where the pcm is located and where the dealer plugs in to flash it. Is it a wire, a plug or a port on the pcm. I have to take it to the dealer because the speedometer will not come up when its cold, unless I beat on the dash. I dont want them to update it, the truck is a dog and I dont want it any worse, so I have to hide or lock the plug so its not worth there time to do it. Also if the new fluid in the trans is to slippery, Can I use Dextron 3 safely. At this point Im not going to worry about the warranty. I used to be a tranmission mechanic but got out of it when the GM 700R4 and the front wheel drive vehiles started rolling in. I havent kept up with the technology in automatic transmission, so im unsure what I can do. I plan on installing a transgo this summer, should I put the recommended fluid in or Dextron 3. .............Thanks
Old 03-02-2002, 11:26 PM

Default p-cm

the pcm is by the left side of the fire wall 3 connectors gray white black. the port the dealer used to flash the pcm is the diagnostic connetor under the dash to the right of the steering wheel. don`t mess with the connector thats how they diagnois the check engine light ,the dash ,the air back ,the anti lock brake system. also using dexron will cause torque converter shudder and failure.dexron is TOO slippery. ours is agresive.put the shift kit it will help. but the factory does retard the timing and shut down the fuel injector while shifting. for smooth sickning shifts. if your interested in a shift kit e-mail me at mopartec@hotmail.com i modify valvebodys for company in fontata ca. and work for a dodge dealer
Old 03-03-2002, 12:15 AM
Inactive User

Default have I been flashed?

how would I know if I've been flashed? Took my truck in last week for them to change the cat. converter, if was rattling and they changed it no questions asked. They are warrentied for 8 years or 100,000 miles. I do not see a sticker of any updated program on the PCM or anywear in the engine compartment. Truck never pinged before nor does it now. Just curious if they flash ever truck that comes there way or do they flash the ones that pay to have work done.

thanks
Old 03-03-2002, 10:06 AM
Inactive User

My plan for the diagnostic plug, is to lock it up. Im not going to destroy or alter it. I work as a maintenance tech in a foundry, my plan is to cast a cover or a box that would make it impossible for them to flash it, but i have to look at it to see if I can. Just something I can put a paddle lock on to prevent them from flashing and in the future, when I have a problem, I can remove it so they can use diagnostic tools while Im sitting there. I just cant imagine driving this truck with less power than it has now, it probably would barely move. I installed a K&N FIPK and it has improved alot, but I have a long way to go. My old 1972 Dodge D100, with a slant six, one barrel, takes off better than this one does. I will e-mail you about the shift kit later today..........Thanks
Old 03-04-2002, 11:24 AM
Inactive User

Being an '01, you most likely already have the latest "flash" updates. That's why you think it's a dog, and it probably sucks gas like mine too. You'll find an "authorized software update" sticker on your PCM. There's no way to undo it. I wouldn't worry about any additional updates while it's at the dealer. Our only hope is that a Mopar 2X4 PCM for a 2000 will work. Stay tuned, a few are in the process now.