Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-20-2002, 08:31 PM
Inactive User

Default Plenum Gasket, Mopar or Napa?

I was just on the NAPA site and found the plenum gasket for my truck for $33.49 ($15 cheaper than Dealer) and was wondering which would be the best to go with.

Thanks,

dODGEcITY

97 1500 excab 5.9 4wd
Old 05-20-2002, 09:34 PM
Inactive User

mopar ........ thats the one im going with.......

jim
Old 05-21-2002, 05:45 PM
Inactive User

How did you decide it was your Plenum gasket causing oil usage? Will you need to replace your intake gaskets to? I posted a couple days ago saying I have the same symptoms on my 98 Ram 5.9 4x4 40,000 miles. If you don't mind, let me know how much trouble it was to replace the gasket and how long it takes to do. I'm still decideing on doing it myself or not.
Thanks Dalt
Old 05-21-2002, 06:09 PM
Inactive User

The reason I know it is my plenum gasket is because there are no signs of oil leaking anywhere on my truck. I didn't even realize I was burning oil until my friend was behind me and saw a little blue cloud here and there and then one day a huge blue cloud when I started the truck. When I open the butterflies I can smell oil, and there is a shiny coat of oil inside. Like kpzbee and a few others said that the oil pools where you can't quite see it, and if it's shiny in there, it's probably bad. Use a small flexible hose and you can suck some out of the corners (like using a straw) if you need proof. I am goig to tackle mine next Monday along with deburring and polishing the manifold and TB, new 180* t-stat, serpentine and trans flush. Good Luck!

dODGEcITY
Old 05-21-2002, 06:11 PM
Inactive User

aLSO TO ANSWER dALT'S Q,

The gasket is a kit from Mopar with the plenum gasket and manifold gasket(s) I got mine today for $50
Old 05-21-2002, 08:21 PM
Inactive User

i got mine from jegs for 38.oo........

im going to do alot of work my self when the parts get here.......

intake manifold, pullys... belt, maybe throttle body, ignition coil....... and some serious checking of tolerences on the valves springs and everything up top,,,

jim
Old 05-21-2002, 09:08 PM
Inactive User

Here is a test from the mopar magnum engine manual to confirm the plenum gasket is bad.
Remove PCV valve from valve cover, let it dangle
Remove breather cap from other valve cover.
You now have 2 holes open to the crankcase.
You may need a helper for the next part. With the engine idling, cover both holes with your thumbs, palm of hands, whatever.
Within 12 or 15 seconds, a slight pressure should build up in the crankcase, one of you lift your hand off your hole, you should see and hear air/oil vapor escape OUT of the valve cover. If instead you get a vacuum that draws air INTO the valve cover, your plenum gasket is leaking. You can also use a vacuum gauge to do this. You will have to replace the intake manifold gasket as well. When I did it, I left the distributor in place even tho some on-line instructions said to pull it. I also had to lift one valve cover to get the intake off, but you shouldn't have to replace the VC gasket. Also, get the plastic tool gizmo from the parts store to remove your fuel line from the drivers side injector log. This is not a fun job!!!