Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-08-2002, 08:11 PM
Inactive User

Help something is wrong!! truck wont start now!!!!

changed plugs and wires, and now truck doesnt run. Did one plug/wire at a time. Plug for plug, wire for wire. All the wires have good connections checked distributor already. Drove it down the road about 1.5 miles and back just to notice anything different. Get back and gettin ready to go to town and it will turn over but it wont crank. I have to work tommorrow, and dont have a ride............HELP ME QUICK!!!

Brandon
Old 06-08-2002, 09:41 PM
Inactive User

Coil???
Old 06-08-2002, 09:51 PM
Inactive User

coil was replaced earier in the week. Coil wire was also replaced though. But i drove around all week with the new coil

Brandon
Old 06-09-2002, 12:18 AM
Inactive User

Question won't start

Don't know if you have any alarm on vehicle or not but make sure any wires that would shut off the coil is not grounded or disconnected.If your really game make sure you are getting spark to the plugs. Be careful as the voltage is pretty high. Use some insulated pliers and have someone crank the engine for you. Hope this helps but again be careful
Old 06-09-2002, 12:21 AM
Inactive User

buddy just stopped by and we tried to see about spark, to answer your question....I HAVE NONE!!!. Thought it was the MSD takin a crap on me, so we disconnected it and tried again without the MSD, no change, STILL NO SPARK. all connections are solid and nothing is grounding out.

also, i have no alarm....keep the help coming though

Brandon
Old 06-09-2002, 05:25 AM
Inactive User

Try the coil, I had one shit the bed on me after a week or 2!!!
I had the blaster ss, I also know alot of people have had problems with the accell coils
Old 06-09-2002, 12:03 PM
Inactive User

:shock: coil

I have to agre IT sounds like the coil I dont want to sound out of place but my dad used to say that the manufatuer pays millions of dallers to its enginers each year to desighn these sistems if it works dont fix it . from what ive heard is that msd and accel are fnnnnjunk. keep it stock and rock the block... just my 0.2
Old 06-09-2002, 02:54 PM
Inactive User

changed the coil a week ago cause of a malfunction code, its only a stock replacement coil from autozone, and drove around fine all week. Just for kicks i hooked the old coil back up, also stock, and still no change. No spark. When i get time im gonna check and see if all the wires are timed right. Dont see why they wouldnt be cuase they were changed one at a time, meaning there was only one choice each time a wire/plug was changed.

Brandon
Old 06-09-2002, 03:14 PM
Inactive User

Default need help

Also make sure you check the power leads going to the coil maybe something simple as blown fuse to the coil. Sounds stupid but did you try to start it in neutral. Another thing make sure you did not knock off any wires going to the distributer while you were putting the wires on. When you turn the key to on without starting do you get the oil light and battery light to come on.
Old 06-09-2002, 03:53 PM
Inactive User

Did you take your distributor cap off at all or did you just pull the plug wires off?

RedRam360
Old 06-09-2002, 03:54 PM
Inactive User

Default Re: need help

Quote:
Originally posted by rickyb
Also make sure you check the power leads going to the coil maybe something simple as blown fuse to the coil. Sounds stupid but did you try to start it in neutral. Another thing make sure you did not knock off any wires going to the distributer while you were putting the wires on. When you turn the key to on without starting do you get the oil light and battery light to come on.
checked power leads to the coil, as far as a blown fuse, where would i look. I checked the distribution block next to the battery and the fuse panel in the cab, where are you talkin about with the fuse for the coil? I did try to start it in neutral a time or two, but in park now. a couple of the wires werent "snapped" on the distributor really well, 4 to be exact, but all are well connected now, and still no start. And yes i do get the oil and battery light when i try to start....

brandon
Old 06-09-2002, 03:55 PM
Inactive User

Jon,
didnt take the cap off, just swapped the wires/plugs....this is wierd

Brandon
Old 06-09-2002, 05:18 PM
Inactive User

Default help

The coil is actually getting power from the pcm and the automatic shut down relay. The relay is located in the engine bay i believe on the drivers side . Make sure you are getting power to it. Take the relay out turn it over and note the terminal numberson the bottom. You want to verify that there is battery voltage at terminal number 30. of the relay. The terminal sould read battery voltage with or with out the key on. Next check number 86 on the relay it should have voltage only with the key on. Also make sure you did not hit the crankposition sensor in the back by the cap. With out it hooked upped properly it will not allow a signal to be sent to the pcm to allow power in the end to reach the coil. Take your time we will figure it out. I am pretty sure your pcm is working ok but just sounds like something simple.
rick