Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-28-2002, 03:16 PM
Inactive User

Default Jet Chips

Are the Jet chips worth the money for a noticable differance in performance? If so can you still run 87octane gas and does it require any other mods to be really beneficial. Also a buddy of mine put a Tornado air system on his truck and he swears it helped he has a 99 chevy and said he could tell the differance the day he installed it. I looked it up on the net and it doesnt look like it would do much, I understand the concept but just leary. Anybody tried one?
Old 07-28-2002, 06:10 PM
Inactive User

in my own personal opinion i think the jet chips are junk. the pcm relearns after you put it on anyway and compensates for the chip. had it on my ram and it actually made the truck slower. ( i tried it at the track)

jim
Old 07-28-2002, 07:35 PM
Inactive User

Don't even waste your money on a jet. MP PCM's are the best. I don't think they make one for the 02's. You could also look into custom flashes, superchips,etc. I'm really not to shure how good they are either.
Old 07-28-2002, 07:43 PM
Inactive User

I must say that I was happy with mine. No track time, but seat of the pants and stopwatch stuff.

The Stage I chip is good for no modifications to your truck. The Stage II requires high flow filter and exhaust and a low temp thermostat. I had all that, so I got the II. I notice the truck prefers 93 octane, but if I don't get on it too much 87 works in a pinch.

This argument ... errr ... debate could rage on for a while. I know a lot of people are down on the Jet. but so far I like it. If the computer relearns, no big deal, I got mine on ebay used for less than half price.

I've been curious about the Tornado also. Not for my truck, but my wife's Jeep. Makes sense, but is "As Seen On TV" so I question it, too. Anyone know anything??
Old 07-28-2002, 09:22 PM
Inactive User

Post jet chip, tornado

As far as the chip debate, show me the data on how the pcm relearn's the factory setting. All i've heard is talk. Now as far as the tornado, I spoke to a tech rep at k&n. He said that they spent alot of time on r&d, and what they found is this type of unit actually restrict's air flow and does not allow motor to breath to it's full potential, therefore creating less power.
Old 07-28-2002, 09:27 PM
Inactive User

Question beep beep horn

T.M.T, when you installed your horn, which wire on the horn plug did you use for power? I noticed only one terminal on the horn, you run the hot to this right? And how did you ground it?
Old 07-28-2002, 09:54 PM
Inactive User

go to asechips.com they can reprogram your pcm and put a new processor in it for $349.00 according to their web site they remove the speed limiter all together, something like a 10% increase in hp and raise wot shift points and firm up the shifts
Old 07-29-2002, 12:25 PM
Inactive User

I have a nice paper weight that was a Jet stage 2 chip. Sorry, but they DO NOT work. It has been proven over and over again. Made a difference for about 10-15 minutes, but very little. Sold my TB spacer for the cost of freight to the last guy who had to find out for himself that they don't work either. Somebody send me $20.00 to cover my time and freight, and you can have this POS too.
I'm waiting to hear back from ASE to see if they will be using my truck as a test mule for 50% off their upgrade! Probably not until Sept. though.
Old 07-29-2002, 02:19 PM
Inactive User

Default J.S.

Thanks for the info on the Tornado. I could see where it would interfere with flow on a 14x3 filter. I still wonder about a stock set up.

My beep beep horn is a knock off type (not purple, no sticker) and has 2 terminals for power. Before I installed it I hooked 2 leads to it directly from the battery and it worked both ways, so when I did it for real, I cut off the plug for one of the OEM horns (disconnected the other) and connected a wire to each terminal on the B.B. Horn.
I seem to remember a threaded lug in the middle of the horn housing, perhaps this can be used for a ground, if there is a similar lug on the Real Beep Beep Horn. Try it with some leads from a multimeter first before you install it. Let me know how it works out.

H.B.R - That Jet Chip is kinda light to be a paperweight, isn't it??
Old 07-29-2002, 03:11 PM
Inactive User

Tornado:
My brother is service manager for a mechanical contractor. They installed the tornado on a couple of their service trucks without the drivers knowing. After a few months of watching and checking mileage records, they concluded that it did nothing, no increase/decrease in power or mileage and no comments from the drivers about anything seeming different.

Jet:
I have to go along with "thatismytruck" on this one.
Since no PCM was made for it, I put one on a'96 Dakota 3.9L,V6, 5 spd w/K&N filter & Flowmaster muffler. I had the Jet module on for 7 months prior to trading it in on my 2002 Ram. It did increase power a little, especially the mid to upper end all the way up to a higher 5600?rpm rev limiter from the previous 5200 rpm. MPG went up another .5mpg IF I kept my foot out of it.
FYI: I like to keep my rigs well tuned, record every tank of gas and know what their limitations are, so it's easy to track changes.
I do know I got more positive gain from the Jet on that truck than I did the Jacobs system(s) that I tried and returned.

Among others I know that have tried them, the results are 50/50 as to improvement & a waste of money. For what it's worth, it wasn't a big enough change for me to try it on my new truck
Old 07-29-2002, 03:13 PM
Inactive User

That is because it is an OBD-1 truck. From '98 on they are OBD-II. The Jet chips will work on the older trucks.
Old 07-29-2002, 03:28 PM
Inactive User

Hey Highblackram. Are you serious about the $20 for the Stage 2? If you are, I would be interested in giving it a shot. Let me know. Thanks. Email me at vikesreds@aol.com
Old 07-29-2002, 03:28 PM
Inactive User

OBD-II on the '96 and up Dakota & I believe 1500 Ram's. '98 when the 2500/3500 started. Also had an earlier Dakota with the OBD-I, you could unplug the PCM on that one and still run fine (if not better)

But I agree that the Jet (and Jacobs ingition system) work much better on pre-OBDII trucks.

HighBlackRam
By-the-way. Like the look of your truck. How do you like the nerf bars?
Old 07-29-2002, 04:54 PM
Inactive User

Nerf's are almost a necessity with the amount of lift I have. Without them, people tend to hang on your doors getting in or out, and that will screw things up in a hurry. They made my truck look a lot lower. They do bolt to the frame, but they aren't heavy enough to support the weight of the truck.
GreenRam, I'd hate to take your money for it man. I only paid $80.00 for it used, and it does make a difference when you first fire up, but it doesn't last. There were a couple of people that said they actually saw a decrease in performance at the track, but I can't honestly say it slowed me down. It just doesn't help. Same on the TB spacers. I've heard they do help on some trucks, but only if they have carbs or TB injection.
Old 07-29-2002, 05:13 PM
Inactive User

Ok, I trust you. I will pass on it. Thanks for saving me the dissapointment.
Old 07-29-2002, 05:29 PM
Inactive User

i have a jet stage 1 on my truck. 2500,2000.5.9lgas,5spd. if you work your truck like i have and do the chip makes a difference. i pulls alot harder after about 2500rpm. for the experts on the board, how can the computer learn and adjust when these chips simply modify sensor signals? as for the tb spacers they only work on a wet manifold set-up. they enhance the atomizing process and help keep the fuel charge cooler.
Old 07-29-2002, 05:40 PM
Inactive User

It was explained to me this way: The Jet chip simply intercepts the timing signal and advances it, same for injection pulse width. The PCM sees the increased timing and fuel and learns to move it back to where it thinks it should be. So the chip changes the outputs from the PCM, not the signals it is receiving. If you think it helps, great. Considering the cost of a new one, I'd bet my next paycheck against yours that you'd be happier with a Mopar PCM if they made it for your truck.
Old 07-29-2002, 05:47 PM
Inactive User

i'm a poor ass mountaineer. not a good idea.
Old 07-29-2002, 05:55 PM
Inactive User

Maybe, but that's some fine country back in those parts. Had some friends move back there near Lynchburg a few years ago. Almost didn't come back when I went to visit. I'd love to trade you.
Old 07-29-2002, 11:44 PM
Inactive User

Post jet chip

Like I said earlyer, wish someone had the time to go to track or a dyno and post the result's on a 2001 built after aug. of 2000, to get a more acurate reading on this debate.
Old 07-30-2002, 10:05 AM
Inactive User

Default My .02

Okay here goes. I purchased my stageII when I owned a 97 2wd cc 318 1500. I had true duals and flowmasters. Stock intake. Isntalled the stageII and noticed increased throttle response and higher shift points. This never diminished. Never checked gas mileage mainly because I didnt buy it for economy. Well I traded in the 97 on an 01 4x4 318 5sp reg cab.

I installed the cheesy American Thunder setup from flowmaster and installed the chip. Well I saw a serious boost in performance with this. As far as fuel mileage, it is a 5sp and you dont drive a 5sp for mileage unless its in a yugo.

So now. I have a 99 CC 4x4 with a 318. Same chip that I had with the 97. I have installed the Chip after months of driving without it. Stock height with stock tire and wheel combo I got around 310 miles to a tank. Yes economy because this truck is in no way performance driven. So I installed a 5in lift and 35 in tires and the Jet stage II, swapped the stock muffler for a Dynomax Turbo.

With no recalibration for the tires, I still get 300 miles to a tank full of gas. Granted the miles are probably better than that considering the larger tires take longer to make a full revolution.

So in my opinion the Jet chip is not trash. It has performed like it was stated and for 20 bucks I will take yours and put it on my 01.

And I had the Mopar PCM on my 95 360 4x4 and yes it is the shiznit. There is nothing like smoking a stock height Vortec Z-71 with a jacked up Ram.
Old 07-30-2002, 10:57 AM
Inactive User

Default Re: My .02

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Phatboy

I installed the cheesy American Thunder setup from flowmaster and installed the chip. Well I saw a serious boost in performance with this.
What do you mean a serious boost in performance
by the SOP feel or at the track? if so do you know how much faster it ran. I just dont want to buy anything without some real numbers backing it up
Old 07-30-2002, 01:20 PM
Inactive User

Default 0-60

0-60 increase was real good. I would say between .75 to 1 second faster. The power started to pull good even below 3K, as all of us Ram owners know 3000RPM is when the real fun starts.

As far as 1/4 mile times go, Its a 4wd truck. I didnt buy it to drag race but I know on my 99 it gets as good as mileage as before if not better, even with the 35s.

If HighBlackRam is willing to part with it for 20 bucks then you really arent out anything. As far as the computer compensating for the chip over time, I think it is more like the driver gets used to it and doesnt notice the difference. It's kinda like a PC you buy the latest and greatest, and 6 months later its slow to you.

Of course if you make a whole lot of engine mods then eventually its going to start working against itself.
Old 07-30-2002, 06:43 PM
Inactive User

I can't remember who it was that said they had before and after track times with a Jet chip, but they claimed they went slower!. Also, KRC and other Mopar performance shops recommend against Jet chips and TB spacers. I personally have tried both on my '01. Neither one or in combination was even in the ball park with the PCM. Other than a barely noticeable increase from my GEN II, the PCM is the only thing I've done to the truck that was a definite, no doubt about it increase. While I got the Jet chip used and didn't pay full price for it, I paid $80.00 for the B.S. spacer. The cost of these 2 items new is as much as a Mopar PCM. Maybe there's a difference because of the different model years, but if anyone can prove to me that either or both together make as much power as a MP PCM, I'll buy you both.
Phatboy, if you insist that it works, I won't call you a liar, but the bet stands.
Old 07-30-2002, 07:37 PM
Inactive User

Forgot to ask, what is your opinion on the Yokohama's vs the BFG's from your previous truck?
Old 07-30-2002, 10:41 PM
Inactive User

Cry jet chip

Problem is, you can get a mp pcm for a 2001, so we try to get some thing that at least gives us some juice beyond stock, and not have to pay 600.00 to get flashed.
Old 07-30-2002, 10:52 PM
Inactive User

I know this probably sounds stupid but what is a mp pcm, everybody talks about them but I dont know anything about them. And do they make them for a 2002?
Old 07-30-2002, 11:04 PM
Inactive User

Post MP PCM

The only stupid ? is the one that isn't asked. The mp pcm is a reprogramed computer that is made to advance timing, fuel curve [ run richer], set higher shift point's for tranny, eliminate govner[go faster than 115] don't know if I left anything out, oh yeah,cut out airconditioning compresser at w.o.t. D.C. stopped making them when they detuned the 2001 r/t.
Old 07-30-2002, 11:41 PM
Inactive User

Thanks I appreciate the info, so they dont make them anymore. So where they stock or an aftermarket product? Sounds like something similar to the performance chips.
Old 07-31-2002, 07:46 AM
Inactive User

Post mp pcm

I can only attest to the 5.9, 5.2, motors. As far as the 4.7, you may want to do some reasearch to see if mp make's one for your application.