Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-19-2003, 01:21 PM
Inactive User

SRT-10 Spotted in Indiana!!

On my way to the airport to pick up some friends....this bright red SRT-10 blew right past me!!! First i was like WTF!! then i was like i gotta catch-up with it to get a closer look....but, i think the driver noticed me and sped right off.....i was pissed and happy....pissed that he had one and i didn't.....happy to finally see one in action....
Just wanted everyone to know of my find yesterday.
Old 05-20-2003, 05:37 PM
Inactive User

Question

is this sighting in the same "neck of the woods"?
http://www.f150online.com/forums/sho...hreadid=116693
Old 05-21-2003, 08:54 AM
Inactive User

Laugh

Seems like even some of the boys over on the lightning board doubt this guys story about his "kill" of the SRT-10. If this was a real SRT-10 and he let a stock lightning leave him from a rolling start I hope for his sake he missed a gear or something. Sounded like it could have been a fake. Who knows for sure. There was a lot of smack thrown around about our "POS" SRT-10. When they officially hit the streets I guess we will find out the truth.
Old 05-21-2003, 10:01 AM
Inactive User

Can you believe these Lightning guys?

They have yet to admit that their L's won't be the fastest production trucks anymore - get over it - the SRT-10 will own the streets (for those who can afford one)!
Old 05-21-2003, 10:10 AM
Inactive User

What's really silly is how they are so sure this guy was racing them. If it was a real pre-production SRT-10 then it was driven by somebody who works at PVO. So OK, you work your whole life to get a dream job like testing and building cars for PVO only to go out and lose it street racing in a pre-production SRT-10 that probably cost over $100,000 to build and will be probably $40,000 once it goes up for sale? I think people value their jobs too much to check out performance of a very fast, hand built work of art. They have their own closed race track to use, they know exactly how fast it goes and don't need to prove it out on the street putting their job on the line. Funny thing is the L woner thought he was racing which might mean that's just how fast the SRT-10 is! Then again the L owner thought it was an automatic as well!
Old 05-21-2003, 01:42 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by Hersbird
What's really silly is how they are so sure this guy was racing them. If it was a real pre-production SRT-10 then it was driven by somebody who works at PVO. So OK, you work your whole life to get a dream job like testing and building cars for PVO only to go out and lose it street racing in a pre-production SRT-10 that probably cost over $100,000 to build and will be probably $40,000 once it goes up for sale? I think people value their jobs too much to check out performance of a very fast, hand built work of art. They have their own closed race track to use, they know exactly how fast it goes and don't need to prove it out on the street putting their job on the line. Funny thing is the L woner thought he was racing which might mean that's just how fast the SRT-10 is! Then again the L owner thought it was an automatic as well!

Exactly. Odds are it was not even an SRT - most likely a mock up wannabe.

Though, a production brand new SRT will cost more than $40K - more like $70K.

It will be interesting to see exactly what the sticker will be on these things - one things for sure - no autos will be made!!
Old 05-21-2003, 03:05 PM
Inactive User

Looks like it has manufactures plates,
Old 05-21-2003, 03:44 PM
Inactive User

Default lightning?

That has to be the most retarded set of posts I've read on F150online. Alright i'm not sure on the exact weights of a lightning and a SRT-10, but I know the rated hp for each is drastically different and the weights cannot be much different. Do they seem to forget about physics? There at least a 100hp difference between the two trucks being conservative. Its like somebody saying they outran a RC R/T in their single cab 4cyl S-10, c'mon now.
Old 05-21-2003, 07:46 PM
Inactive User

What is the Lightning vs SRT-10 weight difference?
The Lightning is an F150 and, if I am not mistaken,
the SRT-10 is based on the 2500.
Old 05-21-2003, 08:19 PM
Inactive User

I would imagine it would be based on a 1500? And as far as weight i would think the Ford would weigh as much as the Dodge
they both look pretty big but yes i agree with everyone else saying that this was either somebody making their 2003 Hemi Ram look like a SRT-10 (they already have Body kits that kinda look like the SRT-10 one called the "RAM ROD")I can't see a Factory Employee Racing a $100,000 (probably more)Prototype on open Public roads in congested traffic that would be DEFINATE grounds for termination and i don't think anybody would take that risk (it's not like in the 60's on Woodward).These ford boy's Raced a HEMI not the V-10 Let's just say (pardon my french) They will SHIT their pants when they get a load of the real deal. That truck will walk up and down their back and Wipe their Ass in the process. The little ford boys are just propping each other up for what they all know (and are cringing about)will happen when the Mopar lovin public will do to their precious little Lightnings when the real Crap hits the Fan. And i can't see Dodge Pricing this truck at $70,000 Smackaroonis i would think High $40,000. Don't worry I'll be at the Dealership DROOLIN when they get one in and asking "what about a Test drive!"
Old 05-21-2003, 08:24 PM
Inactive User

Alright, its time to shut-up the people....here are the facts!

1) it really was the SRT-10.....it had the emblem on the truck.

2) it prob was a dealer guy or someone that tests the trucks before they release them(his driving was a bit skeptic)

3) and finally; most L owner don't know how to drive their trucks in the first place....i was on the azz of a rolling start L on the express-way and kept up with him in my truck(look at my sig)

once again, it was the real thing....i've been peeing my pants ever since i heard about this truck....i know just about anything about it....and have just about every pic out there for it.

whiny L owners!
Old 05-21-2003, 09:03 PM
Inactive User

Not to cast to many more doubts but doesn't the Viper have a SRT-10 emblem? Doesn't it just stick on there with some double sided tape? Don't they sell parts like that at the dealer or any auto body shop in the country? The far harder thing to get would be that hood, it is what really sets the SRT-10 off and they don't make anything like it yet in the aftermarket. I still think yes, it was an SRT-10, but just that it wasn't racing. It gave that L a run and then some but that was just normal driving! I also don't think the SRT-10 will be much over $40,000 MSRP, certainly not over $50,000 MSRP. Now if dealers mark them up that's another thing, personally I know of a place that will sell ANY Dodge for $300 over invoice, SRT products included.
Old 05-21-2003, 10:19 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Old 05-21-2003, 10:38 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by Hersbird
Not to cast to many more doubts but doesn't the Viper have a SRT-10 emblem? Doesn't it just stick on there with some double sided tape? Don't they sell parts like that at the dealer or any auto body shop in the country? The far harder thing to get would be that hood, it is what really sets the SRT-10 off and they don't make anything like it yet in the aftermarket. I still think yes, it was an SRT-10, but just that it wasn't racing. It gave that L a run and then some but that was just normal driving! I also don't think the SRT-10 will be much over $40,000 MSRP, certainly not over $50,000 MSRP. Now if dealers mark them up that's another thing, personally I know of a place that will sell ANY Dodge for $300 over invoice, SRT products included.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't a new lightning sticker for close to $40K?

Bottom line is this - you won't see an SRT go for less than $70K, you read it here first.
Old 05-21-2003, 11:15 PM
Inactive User

Default SVT TEAM

JUST A COUPLE OF THINGS FROM ME THAT MAY HELP PEOPLE OUT. I AM AN ELECTRICIAN FROM MICHIGAN WHO JUST MOVED TO INDY. I DID A LOT OF WORK AT TWO FACILITIES THAT ASSISTED IN THE ENGINEERING. FIRST THERE ARE QUITE A FEW TRUCK RUNNING THE BACK ROADS OF CHELSEA MI. WHERE THE PROVING GROUNDS ARE. BUT IM SURE THEY DONT TRAVEL FAR FROM THAT AREA WITH OUT BEING BLACKED OUT OR ON A TRAILER. THE OTHER THING IS WE ALL KNOW A "L" HAS A HELL OF A TIME BREAKING INTO THE 13 SECOND ZONE. THE SVT TIPS THE SCALES JUST OVER 4500 POUNDS AND IS A HALF TON TRUCK. MY CONTACTS SAY THE REPORTS ON 1/4 MILE TIMES ARE SCARY CLOSE TO THE 12'S ON HARD ASS STREET TIRES AND NO RONNIE SOX BEHIND THE WHEEL. ALSO THE PROJECTED PRICE IS 52,000 TO 58,000. I HOPE I PISS A COUPLE OF LIGHTING GIRLS OFF WITH THESE FACTS, OH BY THE WAY THE SRT IS A 6 SPEED WITH A .62 RATIO SO IF HE THINKS IT WAS AN AUTOMATIC HE PROBABLY DIDNT DOWN SHIFT. WAY TO GO LIGHTING'S THATS TAKIN IT TO EM.

SVT
Old 05-22-2003, 07:43 AM
Inactive User

52 to 58K,, it all makes sense. my 03 Lightning with 800 in mods is running 12.8's, and cost 29,800 loaded. i guess it's true,, "horsepower cost's money,,, how fast do you want to go?"
Old 05-22-2003, 11:45 AM
Inactive User

They would never sticker a truck like that at $70,000 if they priced it there why would'nt you just buy a viper! DUH! more like
High $50,000 (maybe lower) but i can't see anybody buying that truck at $70,000. anyway Die Fords (blue oval)
Old 05-22-2003, 04:36 PM

How much is the SRT-10? What are the Lightnings going for?

Which is more bang for your buck?
Old 05-22-2003, 04:49 PM
Inactive User

look two posts up. the rams are rumored to be at least $50,000 and anyone can get an 03 Lightning for $29,800 (x-plan pricing).
Old 05-22-2003, 06:46 PM
Inactive User

But the rumors on the SRT-10 pricing is just that rumors. And on top of that they are rumors with no base what-so-ever. The only price estimates to come from Dodge was that it would be competitive to the L in pricing. So makes me think about $40,000 tops. The viper motor is not all that expensive of a motor in relation to other motors, even if it were twice as much as a 4.7 (the next most expensive gas motor Dodge makes) then still it's wouldn't add more then $5-6000 over a loaded 2wd RC Ram. That would still leave $10,000 for all the other goodies to still keep it under $40,000. Look at what all they add to the SRT-4 and keep that price under $20,000. The $50,000+ estimate (let alone $60 or $70K) for the SRT-10s is just whishful thinking from L owners and dealers who add markups. The other info that was released along with the "competitive to the Lightning" price estimate, was that they are going to try and build as many trucks as they have orders for, so it's technically not a limited production. What do you think the next generation L will cost? If they ever get around to making it before 2006!
Old 05-22-2003, 09:57 PM
Inactive User

Hello gang

I've been a fan of the SRT-10 since it debuted. The price is the biggest thing I'm interested in and have been hoping it would be in the 30 or 40k range. Then I get the May issue of Mopar magazine and see a blurb by Jim Schroer, Exec VP of Global Sales and Marketing that puts chills down my spine:

"This is a unique truck. It's a low volume, over the top collectible that remakes the entire segment"

When I saw those words I bold typed in that sentence, I lost hope of ever remotely being able to afford one. I may be a pessimist, but all I see is a message to dealers to gouge away, and another boutique vehicle is in the making

I was so hoping they'd be mass produced Lightning killers.

See you at the races!
-Ken
Old 05-22-2003, 10:06 PM
Inactive User

well i agreed to pay 49,999 for one almost 2yrs ago, and placed my deposit. 50K was the cut-off and my deposit would be returned. as of last week, the fleet manager who i deal with, for my company vehicles, said that there was a 99.9% chance my deposit would be returned, because of the MSRP alone. i don't see how anyone can accuse SVT of sitting on their ass, when it comes to bringing performance trucks to the buyers hands. the SRT-10 sure raised some eyebrows, but they responded quickly, and with some well thought out innovations
Old 05-22-2003, 11:10 PM
Inactive User

Mr BBQ
Ford still builds vehicles for 1) Makings some money and 2)Kicking the competitions butt

The L'il Red Trucks went from idea to dealer floor in about 8 months, while the SRT-10 has been slow-rolled for what, 2 years?

Since they've decided to limit them that tells me the bean counters are firmly in control at Chrysler and are only interested in making the absolute last penny from any possible profit opportunity, including hyping something to the max and limiting production.

Whats wrong with these people

-Ken
Old 05-23-2003, 12:23 AM
Inactive User

I just don't see it that way. The best and pretty much only other example for comparision is the SRT-4. That car is not overpriced, nor is it produced to the extent that it is only a collectible. There are plenty available in the Florida and California markets for the MSRP or even less. Over then next year or more anybody that wants one will be able to get one if you shop around, willing to wait a few months, and don't let the dealer gouge you. Dodge isn't in the business to squeak out an extra $20,000 from an extra 1000 limited production trucks. 20 million may sound like a bunch of profit but it's a drop in the bucket to Diamler Chrysler. They would rather sell them with a stardard profit (which is still huge) so that they are flagshipped as an amazing value on the baddest pickup ever produced. This would lead to improved sales in the entire Ram line which would make far greater then 20 million. Now some dealers on the other hand would sell their own mother if it meant an extra $100 profit, there is where you need to find the right dealer who will not go over MSRP, or even will go under MSRP. The real dealers know they won't be making their major profits form the 5-10 speciality vechiles that cross their lot every year, but from the thousands of regular SUVs, pickups, sedans, and minivans that they sell. We will all see though, the pricing can't be that far away anymore!
Old 05-23-2003, 08:40 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by MRBBQ
well i agreed to pay 49,999 for one almost 2yrs ago, and placed my deposit. 50K was the cut-off and my deposit would be returned. as of last week, the fleet manager who i deal with, for my company vehicles, said that there was a 99.9% chance my deposit would be returned, because of the MSRP alone. i don't see how anyone can accuse SVT of sitting on their ass, when it comes to bringing performance trucks to the buyers hands. the SRT-10 sure raised some eyebrows, but they responded quickly, and with some well thought out innovations
Exactly.

No offense, but to those who think this truck will sell for less than $50K, they are just wishful thinkers who REALLY want one and are trying to convince themselves that they'll be able to snag one for a decent price.

Dodge doesn't want everyone and their mother buying one of these trucks, just like the Viper - it's only for the elite few.

Good luck to those who want to buy one...start saving your pennies.
Old 05-24-2003, 11:22 AM
Inactive User

IMHO you better save more than just pennies. This truck is going to be a great truck but not for the average population to own. It will be nearer to the Viper price range........ lets wait and see whos right. I still havent made up my mind as what to get ......... I think i will wait and see when the SRT arrives and make my decision then. If it ever gets here!!!!!!!!
Old 05-25-2003, 01:24 PM
Inactive User

Has anyone with an '03 1500 hemi run an '03 Lightning or Harley F150? I sure hope the Lightnings run better than my slug hemi! The L is rated at 385 hp, I think. I was debating between my '03 hemi and a new, leftover '02 Harley F150. I opted for the Ram because of more interior seating capacity (Got three grandkids to haul around occasionally). Also, it's a better looking truck IMHO. The Harley is a bit overdone and only seats four.

Anyway, how 'bout a race report on hemi vs L or HD150?
Old 05-27-2003, 01:23 PM
Inactive User

One more thing to think of about the SRT-10, they will only be offered to Viper owners first....which means, the first SRT-10's on the lot might already been sold to previous Viper owners before any of us Truck fans have a shot at getting one at all!
Old 05-27-2003, 02:11 PM
Inactive User

Why would they do something like that? seems kinda rediculous to me that they would sell them to Viper owners first, what makes them so special?
Old 05-27-2003, 05:27 PM
Inactive User

Default Email from Dodge

I was curious as to the price and release date myself so I emailed Dodge and this is the response that I got:

Thank you for your recent email to DaimlerChrysler Motors Corporation
regarding the Dodge Ram SRT-10.

The DaimlerChrysler Information Center at this time does not have any
pricing or product information available regarding the upcoming Dodge
Ram SRT-10. A tentative release date of December 2003 has been
scheduled.

I know that doesn't really help any but there you go.