Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-16-2003, 04:27 PM
Inactive User

Default Towing with a hemi

I just returned from a 4600 mile trip from my home in the Florida Keys to Sturgis for the big rally. Towed my and wife's Harleys. Total weight of trailer and bikes is around 3000 pounds. I drove between 60 and 75 depending on speed limits, traffic conditions, etc. Fuel economy varied between a low of 9.6 and a high of 13.1. The truck handled the tow just fine. After reading an article in USA Today about using 87 octane in lieu of the recommended 89, I tried the 87. A noticeable drop in fuel economy while towing. Especially using the 10% ethanol crap that passes for gasoline in South Dakota. I've read on this list that some people are using 87 with good results. If you are towing, use 89! The extra power gives better fuel economy. Zero oil comsumption BTW.

Does anyone have any experience towing loads around 7,000 to 8000 pounds with a hemi 1500? My wife wants to buy an RV toy hauler. Loaded it will be around the truck's limit (7700 pounds). I don't want to buy it, then find out I get 5 mpg at 60! And I don't want to sell my new hemi & buy another diesel.

Developed the dreaded warped rotors on this trip. I was feeling rather smug not having the problem that seems so common. Wow, is it bad now! Just turned over 8,000 miles. BTW, the trailer has electric brakes, so, no, I did not overheat them on the grades out west. Will I have problems getting the dealer to warranty the replacement? I don't want these turned. Obviously there is something wrong with them, so turning them will just result in the problem coming back, probably after the 12,000 mile wearout warranty. Are the Mopar replacement rotors going to be any better than the originals? Does the aftermarket make them yet? I thought I saw a post about Raybestos rotors.
Old 08-16-2003, 04:45 PM

I've only got the 5.9l and I always use the 89 or 93, when towing.

For towing the heavier loads, make sure that you turn off the OD before you get to any hilly areas. Only tow with the OD on, on flat or downhill terrain. Antyime the tranny starts seeking for gears, turn off the OD.