Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-17-2003, 01:37 PM

Help Help Please... New Ram Stolen

'03 QC RAM HEMI was stolen from work last weekend. The truck was involved in an accident and all but completely destroyed. The suspect ran a traffic light and struck a car and then veered off and struck four more parked cars and then turned the truck over. The guy jumped out and ran to a waiting 2nd vehicle and got away.

The truck has major damage to all four sides and to the roof and underside, including a bent frame infront of the a-arms. Don't know how long the engine continued to run while up on its side and any damage that may have resulted from it.

The truck has 350 miles on it, the insurance "American Family" does not want to total it... just yet. Monday they want to put it on a lift and take a look at the amount of damage underneath.

PROBLEM... I DON'T WANT THE TRUCK BACK. I WANT IT REPLACED WITH A NEW ONE. WHAT COURSE OF ACTION DO I HAVE, IF ANY, SHOULD THEY DECIDE NOT TO TOTAL THE TRUCK.

Any help is appreciated, sorry so long winded. Input from anyone in the insurance field would be very helpful.

Thanks again.
Old 08-17-2003, 02:30 PM
Inactive User

I'm sure that you thought about the fact the value of the truck is not what is was while it was still on the dealer lot. So you're probably going to have a problem trying to get a new vehicle minus the deductible.

Question for you...do you have total loss protection? In other words IF the vehicle is considered totaled does your loan company consider your note paid in full? If not, that's something you might want to look for in an insurance company in the future (although it doesn't help you right now).

I'm no expert but I do know a few things. You can always have whoever you want give you an estimate of repair as well as an appraisal for it's value prior to damage. You can use that information to disagree/negotiate with your insurance company if you feel that you are being jerked around. If need be, you can take it to court to get what you think is the proper amount.

Although you said that you didn't want the vehicle some people don't know that they CAN keep the vehicle after it is totaled. You just have to give the insurance company a salvage price for the vehicle. Then you can get your new vehicle and still fix up the old one. I don't know if you would want to do this in your case though!

I hope this helps a little bit.
Old 08-17-2003, 02:37 PM

Sound advice, I do have total loss protection. All I want is my truck back in a pre-accident condition. I don't want them to try and straighten a frame out that is bent, and don't want to have to go back to the repair shop constantly.

Thanks for the input
Old 08-17-2003, 02:47 PM

The insurance company has to go through the motions, even if they intend on totaling the vehicle.

If they insist on having it repaired, I would also demand that they give you the amount that the truck has depreciated, due to the accident. That plus the cost of repairs should push their payout to beyond the value of the truck.
Old 08-17-2003, 04:12 PM
Banned

If you want to make sure it's totaled you can do this. Drain all the oil out and then put one quart back in it. and fire it up till it rattles. Then put the rest of the oil back in. Now it needs a new engine and the cost of a new hemi will drive up the cost. I'm sure they wont consider any engine damage from it running on it's side if it aint knocking hard so you want get any money there for that damage.

A sledge hammer to the inside of a rim or two to warp them will drive up the repair cost too. Course if this would play on you mind then dont do it. Insurance companies screw peolpe out of millions yearly so it doesn't bother me to get a little even on some things. I know if it was me, I would not want that truck back either.
Old 08-17-2003, 04:22 PM

Man your telling me. All the tires and wheels "20 chrome clads" are destroyed and need replaced. All doors, cab, bed, bumpers, hood, grill, and the back glass are destroyed. Front frame horns bent to one side about 4-6 inches, tailpipe bent up too.

What really scares me is the frame being bent, don't know if they will try and straighten this or replace with a new frame. If they attempt to straighten I'm afraid that I will have long term suspension probems.

Just curious if they do decide to fix it, if I can demand a new frame rather than that one being straightened. They are suppose to return to pre-accident condition, well I didn't buy it with a straightened frame, I bought it with a straight frame
Old 08-17-2003, 04:28 PM

If they insist on having it repaired, I would also demand that they give you the amount that the truck has depreciated, due to the accident. That plus the cost of repairs should push their payout to beyond the value of the truck. [/B][/QUOTE]

Thank for the tip, I found some info on "deminished value" on the web, checking into that
Old 08-17-2003, 04:31 PM

Todays frame straightners are amazing. They can straighten your frame to with a couple mils of what it was new.

The problem with frame straightening is that the frame has been stressed and will NEVER be as strng as it was prior to damage.

Honestly, don't sweat it. The amount of damage alone will cost more to repair than the cost of a new truck. The insurance company has to do a full inspection, prior to doing a cash out.

I've know a few people in similar situations and the insurance company has always had to do the inspection.
Old 08-17-2003, 05:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Pepper
Man your telling me. All the tires and wheels "20 chrome clads" are destroyed and need replaced. All doors, cab, bed, bumpers, hood, grill, and the back glass are destroyed. Front frame horns bent to one side about 4-6 inches, tailpipe bent up too.

What really scares me is the frame being bent, don't know if they will try and straighten this or replace with a new frame. If they attempt to straighten I'm afraid that I will have long term suspension probems.

Just curious if they do decide to fix it, if I can demand a new frame rather than that one being straightened. They are suppose to return to pre-accident condition, well I didn't buy it with a straightened frame, I bought it with a straight frame
You can demand a new frame. It is law. You can also demand dealer only body parts instead of cheaper aftermarket fenders and such by law. But, dont sweat it. I'm sure from your description it will be totaled.
Old 08-17-2003, 06:25 PM

I surely would not attempt to defraud the insurance company as was suggested above, just not a good idea..........
Old 08-17-2003, 06:26 PM

Hey, thanks guys. I'm starting to feel a little better about the situation.

Also any affect on leaving the key in the on position for 24 + hrs. They manage to kill the engine but could not turn the ignition off due to the busted steering column.
Old 08-17-2003, 06:35 PM
Banned

It should not hurt anything but th batt. if the switch was left on. Just wandering, how did he get your keys??
Old 08-17-2003, 06:56 PM

If the keys were in the ignition, when the truck was stolen, you may be screwed...

I am hoping that you mean they were unable to get the ignition switch back to off, because of the busted column.
Old 08-17-2003, 11:10 PM

The truck was left running after he rolled it, there was no way to shut if off with the busted column. Assuming they cut or pulled something under the hood.

thanks pepper
Old 08-17-2003, 11:12 PM

No, I have all the keys
Old 08-18-2003, 08:39 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by dwc43
If you want to make sure it's totaled you can do this. Drain all the oil out and then put one quart back in it. and fire it up till it rattles. Then put the rest of the oil back in. Now it needs a new engine and the cost of a new hemi will drive up the cost. I'm sure they wont consider any engine damage from it running on it's side if it aint knocking hard so you want get any money there for that damage.

A sledge hammer to the inside of a rim or two to warp them will drive up the repair cost too. Course if this would play on you mind then dont do it. Insurance companies screw peolpe out of millions yearly so it doesn't bother me to get a little even on some things. I know if it was me, I would not want that truck back either.
by you suggesting this, this is fraud, and one of the main reasons "our" insurances are so hi to begin with.

just my .02
Old 08-18-2003, 06:33 PM

TEST... Trying to upload some pictures of the stolen truck

stolenhemi01.jpg
Old 08-18-2003, 06:50 PM

Any help on uploading pictures?

Done it before, but forgot how!
Old 08-18-2003, 07:07 PM
Inactive User

when you post a reply, look down below the main box to add text in, go to attach file (browse), only thing is the size of the file can only be so much in order for it to work. you may have to shrink it down a bit.
Old 08-18-2003, 07:25 PM

using the 'attach file' feature, you are limited to a max size of 124K and nore more than 700 X 700.
Old 08-18-2003, 07:27 PM

Sorry, but how do you reduce picture size
Old 08-18-2003, 10:16 PM
Inactive User

Remember the new Rams have hydroformed frames. I'd be surprised if they can be straightened. But then, I've been surprised before, and will be again!
Old 08-18-2003, 11:15 PM
Inactive User

Default Replace or Repair???

I went through a body shop at my local Ford dealer (sorry!) the other day and a friend who works there told me that with the cost of today's vehicles they will even REPLACE the frame if its badly bent. Actually that wouldn't be bad if the drive train is OK. At least it would be "straight". Gee, I hope they just get you a new one though.
Old 08-20-2003, 05:17 PM

Still trying to post a picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stolen hemi 02.jpg (23.6 KB, 36 views)
Old 08-20-2003, 05:20 PM

I will try and make bigger
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stolen hemi 02.jpg (42.7 KB, 34 views)
Old 08-20-2003, 05:25 PM

And another
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stolen hemi 03.jpg (120.3 KB, 36 views)
Old 08-20-2003, 05:31 PM

Default Moderator...

Is ther a limit to the number of pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stolen hemi 01.jpg (99.7 KB, 30 views)
Old 08-20-2003, 05:41 PM

Another
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stolen hemi 04.jpg (107.2 KB, 34 views)
Old 08-20-2003, 05:43 PM

More pictures on "TRUCK TOTALED" post