Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-06-2004, 11:21 PM
Inactive User

Default Horse power diff Hemi Anti-spin vs Hemi regular diff in 4x4?

My Hemi 4x4 has about 1200 miles on it. When I bought it I drove a different one for two days.

The one I test drove had the standard rear end and I wanted the Anti-Spin. They both were 4x4 both had the 20" wheels and 3.92 rear end. The one I test drove got 13.7 miles to the gallon and had 490 miles on it. Mine is getting about 12MPG. The one with the standard rear end seemed quicker too.

Mine seems to have a throttle response issue. If you push it into passing gear it really moves but until you get it to passing gear it just doesn't accelerate as fast as the one I test drove. Mine just seems like the you have to push the gas pedal a long way.

From a dead stop with out power braking, my Hemi will not squeel the tires. I don't know if this is normal or not.

thanks for any advice
Old 06-07-2004, 07:06 AM
Inactive User

Default Re: Horse power diff Hemi Anti-spin vs Hemi regular diff in 4x4?

Quote:
Originally posted by cgchris99
My Hemi 4x4 has about 1200 miles on it. When I bought it I drove a different one for two days.

The one I test drove had the standard rear end and I wanted the Anti-Spin. They both were 4x4 both had the 20" wheels and 3.92 rear end. The one I test drove got 13.7 miles to the gallon and had 490 miles on it. Mine is getting about 12MPG. The one with the standard rear end seemed quicker too.

Mine seems to have a throttle response issue. If you push it into passing gear it really moves but until you get it to passing gear it just doesn't accelerate as fast as the one I test drove. Mine just seems like the you have to push the gas pedal a long way.

From a dead stop with out power braking, my Hemi will not squeel the tires. I don't know if this is normal or not.

thanks for any advice
I have the very same situation but I have found that my 4 x 4 Hemi with anti spin and the 3.92 is a faster truck. It is hard to get the rear wheels to spin but I chalk that up to great tires and a very good sure grip type of rear. The other truck that I used with the one wheel peel also was a different rear end ratio. I think it was 4.56 gears but I cant remember. I dont want to spin the rear wheels anyway. Have you seen the price of those things? The kickdown is also the same on mine but I have learned better how to use it. You will have to get used to it. The puter is running things. No linkage to speak of.
Old 06-13-2004, 01:57 AM
Inactive User

The inability to smoke the tires is due to something called Torque management. This is part of the computer softeware. The engineers designed it to make torque for towing and the engine can't generate torque with the tires spinning. The computer can tell if the tires are spinning by looking at various sensor readings and will adjust accordingly to stop them from spinning so it can make torque.
Old 06-13-2004, 10:42 AM
Inactive User

It all comes down to driveline loss behind the pumkin. Open diff mean much less weight for the motor to drive. (lighter diff, 1axle,1rotor,1rim, 1tire)

That will make the open diff get better mileage and be a bit faster if traction of the tires cant be exceeded off the line.

If you modded the same 2 trucks till they did spin the tires. The open diff would still be a bit quicker on a rolling start just not off the line.
Old 06-13-2004, 01:26 PM

RM INDY

GEE, I can't quite grasp that. Whether or not the axle, rotor, rim and tire are driven or dragged, they are still mass and weight that have to be moved by the powerplant. I'll give you the clutchpack because that probably does add a little weight. How much more, I don't know. Custom 880 said he drove a different truck for a couple of days but he didn't say an identical one. There might be one more whistle or bell on his truck that makes a weight difference. The mileage difference could even be due to tire pressure. Maybe he is driving his own ride a little harder than the loaner. Maybe a Monday truck versus a Thursday truck. Who knows?
Old 06-16-2004, 09:07 AM
Inactive User

On the 1/4 mile the general rule of thumb is

Static weight reduction = .1 second off ets with every 100lbs reduced approx.
Driveline weight reduction = .4 second off ets with every 100lbs reduced approx.

Modifications to my 96 have confirmed the above more or less.

Oh, btw, I was comparing modifying identical trucks not saying he drove identical trucks
Old 06-16-2004, 10:45 PM

RM INDY

You have a good arguement. I hadn't considered the rotating weight or inertial weight of the stuff before. However, consider this; true, the engine isn't having to spool this rotating mass up from static. But, these parts still are being brought up to speed by engine power, not directly from the driveline but indirectly from the friction of the freewheeling tire against the pavement. And that friction is the result of that wheel being rotated as a result of the forward motion of the truck, a motion caused by engine power to the driven wheel! Round and round we go! Your honor, the State rests.