Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Classifieds > Vehicles for Sale > Rear Wheel Drive - Vehicles For Sale

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-12-2006, 02:53 PM
Inactive User

Default 1969 Dodge Charger RT/SE 440 / 8.75 / 727

Asking $30,000 or best offer.

Original 1969 Dodge Charger RT/SE (only 4,243 of over 69,000 came with the RT/SE combination)

VIN# XS29L9B243827

This car was built to be a driver. It turns heads and is a lot of fun to own. Being a rare-optioned model it could easily be restored and made in to a real collector’s car or with a minimum of time and money the minor issues that are left on it could be addressed and it could be an awesome driver for the person who likes to get out there and smoke the tires, entering in a few car shows along the way! The car is sold as is, any questions I will answer to the best of my knowledge. I have owned the car for the last 9 years.

Click for pics:
pic 1
pic 2
pic 3
pic 4

Professionally Rebuilt and Modified 440 Magnum engine

* Bored +.030 and partial block fill before the bore and hone for extra rigid walls, doesn’t affect cooling, excellent ring seal.
* Edelbrock Performer RPM intake manifold with ports matched to the head
* Edelbrock carburetor
* 3-angle valve job
* Comp Cams Purple+ .484 street cam
* Hooker headers and X-pipe custom exhaust with Dynomax mufflers, reasonably quiet until you open it up.
* Custom spark plug wires
* KB pistons
* Forged crankshaft
* Rods were shot peened and checked as straight
* Windage Tray
* Hi Volume oil pump
* New Fuel Pump
* Aluminum Water Pump and Housing
* BeCool Aluminum Radiator w/catch can
* Spal Electric Fan
* Mopar Performance Orange Box ignition and distributor w/MSD coil
* Brand new motor mounts
* Assembled by machinist who is now assembling engines for Honda’s Indy Car Engine Program.
* Have dyno sheet from a chassis dyno run after engine break-in
* Only about 50 miles on engine and trans since rebuild
* The car will come with the very hard to find original exhaust and intake manifolds that I still have.

Professionally Rebuilt 727 TF Auto

* TCI 2300 RPM Torque Converter
* B&M Shift Kit w/B&M Shifter
* Newly rebuilt at the same time as the engine with high quality components
* Brand new transmission mount

Original 8 ¾ rear with 3.23 gears

* Never been opened since I’ve owned the car.

Chassis

* New Custom instrument cluster using AutoMeter gauges (Speedo needing a cable, Tach, oil pressure, water temp, volt meter, Fuel level, and an oil temp gauge that isn’t hooked up). If you are looking to go back to original gauges, I still have the original instrument cluster minus the tic-toc-tach which was removed to be repaired and never returned to me.
* Original Magnum 500 wheels with BF Goodrich Radial TA tires.
* Drum power brakes on all for wheels (I would recommend this get upgraded before anything else).
* Optima Battery relocated to the trunk in a battery box.
* Original Air Conditioning car, I have all the parts for it, but they are not in the car, the unit wasn’t working when I took it out.

Body

* This is a rare original bumble-bee stripe delete car which deletes the stripes and puts metal R/T emblems where the R/T cutouts would have been in the stripe.
* Some rust damage around the lips of the wheel wells.
* The roof originally had a vinyl top which was removed and all the rust damage was repaired and then painted.
* The trunk floor was rusted out so it was removed and replaced.
* The color is red, originally the car was a honey bronze color
* There is a minor dent in the rear quarter panel near the R/T emblem.

Interior

* The carpet needs to be replaced but will be ok for now.
* The dash pad is in good shape and I have all the original trimming for the dash that will come with the car.
* The seats are in decent shape
* Have the original AM/8-track radio, the AM works the 8-track does not

Problems

* The intake manifold is much taller than the original so an air cleaner solution needs to be worked out, The short driving that has been done has been with a make-shift solution for now, but a more permanent drop-base air cleaner solution (which means moving the coil to the fire wall) is needed.
* My experiment with using a vacuum switch to open and close the headlight doors didn’t pan out so I new solution will be needed to fix that.
* The power steering box leaks and should be fixed.
* The power steering belt rubs ever so slightly on one of the water pump pully, it shouldn’t be a problem though according to the engine builder
* The car once warm has a problem idling, this I think is just do to tuning which I haven’t had an opportunity to get done, I personally do not have the skills to tune for such a specific problem.
* The transmission slips a little in first gear, I believe this to be an adjustment problem with the bands and maybe the kickdown cable as well. Again something I don’t have the skills to adjust properly myself.
* As mentioned before, the car has power drum brakes, it takes a lot of effort to stop the car, and while this isn’t necessarily a problem, I would highly recommend this get upgraded to at least front disk brakes. The lower vacuum of the high-performance engine makes the power assist less leading to the higher pedal effort. The disk upgrade can be done cheaply as detailed in the article from Mopar Action, seen here:
http://www.moparaction.com/Tech/archive/disc-main.html
* I was told it is numbers matching, but I have never verified this myself. I do know that it is the correct engine, trans, and rear end that the car was spec’d for, so it very well could be numbers matching, but like I said, I can’t guarantee that.

Overall, the car is drivable, but with some of these issues, I would recommend only a short trip if you are going to drive it home, otherwise I would recommend trailering it if it is going to be a longer distance. I have no doubt about the quality of the workmanship on the engine and transmission, but as with any project, all the little kinks should get ironed out before putting the car in a situation where you are relying on it to get home.

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2 Door Hardtop (440)

MSRP
Original Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price when new: $3,592

Low Retail > Average Retail > High Retail

$15,800 > $32,000 > $65,500

Options and Equipment

440/375 HP V8 Engine
Factory Air Conditioning
Total Price
$22,910 > $46,400 > $94,975

Other Vehicle Information
Weight: 3646

Value Explanations

Low Retail Value
This vehicle would be in mechanically functional condition, needing only minor reconditioning. The exterior paint, trim, and interior would show normal wear, needing only minor reconditioning. May also be a deteriorated restoration or a very poor amateur restoration. Most usable "as-is".
Some of the vehicles in this publication could be considered "Daily Drivers" and are not valued as a classic vehicle. When determining a value for a daily driver, it is recommended that the subscriber use the low retail value.
Note: This value does not represent a "parts car".

Average Retail Value
This vehicle would be in good condition overall. It could be an older restoration or a well-maintained original vehicle. Completely operable. The exterior paint, trim, and mechanics are presentable and serviceable inside and out. A "20-footer".

High Retail Value
This vehicle would be in excellent condition overall. It could be a completely restored or an extremely well maintained original vehicle showing very minimal wear. The exterior paint, trim, and mechanics are not in need of reconditioning. The interior would be in excellent condition. Note: This value does not represent a "100 Point" or "# 1" vehicle *.
* "100 Point" or "# 1" vehicle is not driven. It would generally be in a museum or transported in an enclosed trailer to concourse judging and car shows. This type of car would be stored in a climate-regul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg charger.jpg (63.2 KB, 8 views)