Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Restoring your MoPar (Tricks & techniques)

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-25-2008, 03:56 PM
Inactive User

Default 383 starter problems

Hey all. I have a 383 in my 69 roadrunner. had the motor rebuilt about 2 years ago, stock. transmission rebuilt same time. has the 10.5 inch flex plate. now for the problem..... the starter doesn`t quite engage the flywheel completly. it worked fine after I got everything together couple years ago. last summer the starter would "click" and not catch. after a few attempts it would engage and start no problem..well I never tore into this last winter and only been able to start the car once this summer..I still want to try and make some cruises. any ideas?? the starter I had initially was a mini starter, changed last summer to a mopar unit. still nothing. theres no shims. would my torque converter that came with my kit not be right? I`m at a loss...
Old 08-25-2008, 05:50 PM
Inactive User

Default an idear..

The flex plate on a 383 can only mount to the crank one way right? Just trying to cover my bases, looks like the starter just isn`t going out far enough to engage the flywheel?????? grrrrrr
Old 08-25-2008, 07:13 PM
Inactive User

Does the starter bolt all the way up to the block? No gaps? Just sitting here thinking you can only put flex plate on one way. So....have you looked to see if starter gear is engaging flex plate teeth? Is the starter solenoid on firewall good? Keyswitch good? Have you jumped solenoid to see if starter works?
Old or mini starter shouldn't make a difference, have mini on my 440/4-speed.
Did you check to make sure the torque convertor snout fits into the end of the crank? Had a 66 Nova, changed convetors and new convertor woundn't fit, snout wrong size. Anybody else???
Old 08-25-2008, 07:50 PM
Inactive User

Default 383 starter

checked all the bolts, there tight, no gaps, the starter engages, just looks like the flywheel is to far away from the starter, it`s just barely touching the flywheel, thats where the grinding noise is coming from.just for the record it did start and we did drive it today, just afraid somday we might shut it off and may not engage again....mike
Old 08-25-2008, 09:22 PM
Inactive User

Look on www.Manciniracing.com at their flexplates and torque convertors.
There are different flexplates and different convertors maybe you've got a
mis-matched set-up. Everything should slide together by hand to start bolts.
Anybody else had this problem?
Come on guys!!!
Old 08-26-2008, 04:28 PM

Are you sure the "click" you're hearing is the starter and not the firewall relay?
Old 08-27-2008, 07:10 AM
Inactive User

Default give me the idiot hat........again

well once again. It was something stupid. I went to pull the starter out yesterday afternoon, I was looseing the top bolt when my elbow touched the bulkhead and starter relay wires and presto....one came undone. all this time it was a loose connection....I think. I put back together and has started like 10 times with no issues. so quite possible it was the relay clicking, or starter not getting enough juice to engage fully..anyway thanks again for your ideas and suggestions. until next time....