Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Restoring your MoPar (Tricks & techniques)

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:04 PM
Inactive User

Default starting an engine after a long time in storage

The vehicle has been sitting for 4-5 years, and the motor is a brand new/custom build 408. It had about two hours total run time on it before it went into storage. I've been told to shoot some Marvel oil into the spark plug holes and injector bungs, let it sit, turn the motor by hand a bit, and then repeat over a few days time prior to starting the motor.

Is this necessary? Can anyone offer some tips so I get this thing started safely?
Old 04-20-2012, 06:25 AM
Inactive User

Best possible thing to do. Oil often drains completely off cylinder walls when sitting, so oiling them makes good sense. After squirting oil (I think any motor oil works fine) into the holes, turn motor by hand a few turns. No need to wait a few days, because the oil will work in fast. Then spin a few turns with starter. That builds a little oil pressure and gets oil to the bearings, chain, seals, lifters, rockers, etc. Then put plugs back in and fire it up. She might smoke a little from the oil squirted in the holes, but that burns off fast.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:44 AM
Inactive User

Thanks for responding.

I pulled the intake off today to have it media-blasted and the intake ports on the cast iron heads look perfect. The lifter valley, lifters, retainers, pushrods, spider - everything looks perfect. I was thinking I'd open it up to find a heck of a lot of surface rust, rings frozen to the wall, but its fine. I should have known that when people are pulling motors out of cars sitting in junkyards for a few years, bolting them in and going down the road I shouldn't have a problem.

When I get back to the shop at the beginning of the week I'll squirt the cylinders with MMO and give it a few turns. I think this motor is going to be just fine.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:50 AM

One thing you can do too is use a pre line pump and pump oil into the oil pressure sender hole. It will run through the system and deliver oil to the components. If you mark where the distributor is you can take t out and use an oil pump primer too.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:51 AM

Pre lube pump. I hate auto correct.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:33 AM

pour a lil 0 weight oil in the oil fill.ll through the valve cover.. pull the fuel pump relay.. put the car on a full amp battery charger and crank the engine for 30 seconds.. this will prime the engine with oil if any in the sump...let engien rest for five minutes and repeat do this 5 times... then start vehicle if fuel pressure is present..