Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Restoring your MoPar (Tricks & techniques)

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:51 PM

Glad to see you up and going again! Sounds like you have a plan for Blanche! I am one of the lucky ones that caught mine at the Barrett's stage. Like you if there is a chance anyone has Acid Reflux PLEASE take your meds! Just for everyones info Dr told me if open heat quadruple bypass was a 10, what Dan has been through is a 15!
Wish you the best!
Old 12-13-2014, 09:56 PM
Inactive User

Thanks. I have NEVER experienced anything like recovery from that surgery, called a Ivor-Lewis gastroesophagectomy. They said it would be a long road but I've always been pretty tough. I didn't expect this.

I've had the best in the region, though, when it comes to the doctors. My oncologist nearly throws his shoulder out of joint trying to pat himself on the back when he reports to my family doctor. The radiation doc was superb in every way, as was his staff who actually did the treatments. My surgeon is known for his skill so much that he was called in the middle of the night to help the victims of the Aurora theater shootings. Since the surgery, I've had to have the anastomosis site stretched a few times with a balloon type of tool and the GI doc who does it is excellent.

I'll tell the whole story some day in another place if anyone cares, but the details are pretty gory.

Tomorrow, if it's not too cold, I'm going to pull the right cylinder head off and have a look at the pistons and cylinders, and hopefully get the grille out so I can get the old camshaft out. I'm anxious to put a mic on the cam lobes. A couple of them look to be a little worn over the nose but that could just be my uncalibrated MKII eyeballs playing tricks on me again. Measurements will tell me whether the old MKIIs are telling me the truth or not.
Old 09-07-2015, 03:57 PM
Inactive User

Been a long time since I've updated this.

I got the old girl back together again but am having some serious issues, especially with the idle.

She just doesn't want to idle well at all. The new cam is really no more than the stock cam was. I don't remember the numbers but the duration was very similar, to stock, and the lift was maybe a tenth more than stock.

I did find the square-bore carb wasn't sealing well to the spread-bore-capable manifold. I located a square-bore plate and added that under the Edelbrock to seal things up better on the back holes.

But she still runs like there's low vacuum. I tried my vacuum gauge but it seems to be shot: I need a new one. I'm pretty sure I got the cam installed straight up, but after I get the vacuum checked, I might pull e front cover off to check the cam marks again.

Off idle, she runs GREAT.

I am giving serious consideration to pulling the engine and transmission for a complete rebuild over the winter.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:41 AM

Good to know it's running. Any new updates about it? Have you installed something new to it?