Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Restoring your MoPar (Tricks & techniques)

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:07 AM
Inactive User

Default f6 paint

Im looking for some f6 bright green metallic for my 69 Bee...wheres a good vendor to get quality single stage paint at a good price?
Old 01-31-2013, 08:37 PM
Inactive User

I would advise against a single stage metallic.

I've used single stage paints before with some success, but I have steered away from it, because it is so much easier to shoot, repair and keep up a clearcoat paint job.

single stage has color pigment at the surface, including metallics. This means that UV exposure is going to diminish the gloss and color quite a bit quicker than a clearcoated base color coat. It's also impossible to blend the color on a panel repair, should you need to, because the gloss is the color and after you polish the open blend, you can see a color halo change in metallics, where the repair stops. A base/clear paint job allows perfect color blend and clearcoating the entire panel for damage repair. This is how all collision repair shops do their work.

If you shoot single stage urethane paint, it needs to be treated like an acrylic enamel. It requires light color coats that are even, followed with a final coat with even gloss/ orange peel.

To answer your question, someone told me that O'Reilly Auto was actually expanding stores to carry DuPont's pricepoint paint line, called Nason. Nason has been around for a very long time (factory paint on 1950's Studebakers) and was assumed by DuPont about 15 years ago.

I have used Nason on a lot of projects as well as Nason basecoat colors with other, higher end clearcoats without any trouble.

I would suggest looking into Nason basecoat/ clearcoat for your paint and find a supplier locally. If you would prefer it online, look for some place that is willing to ship mixed color. I've always found it to be a bit of a toss up in price to purchase locally or pay HazMat shipping on something like that. A local supplier will allow you to look at the color to make sure that it's correct and will help you along your way if you have any questions or concerns.

Nason is one of the most user friendly pricepoint paint systems out there. Stay away from PPG Omni clearcoats. Most anything else is good quality paint. Even Omni basecoats can be used, but I've had a lot of trouble with that line of clear shrinking badly.