Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Restoring your MoPar (Tricks & techniques)

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-06-2002, 09:55 PM
Inactive User

Question Freeze Plug *&^%

I have a 67 Satellite (383) that has a freeze plug rusted through in the head on the drivers side. I am going to attempt to remove and replace it with out removing the motor. I will have to remove the left side manifold, but will also have to contend with the steering gearbox. Come on you guys with some “gray”, any pointers?????. Also, it is a factory 383(350 hp). Was this a strong motor? Along the lines of a Chevy 396 or a Ford 390?

Thanks in advance
1967 Satellite (Reggie Johnson)
:hel
Old 06-07-2002, 01:12 AM

The easiest thing to do will be to remove the exhaust manifold, then pull out the bolt holding the motor mounty to the frame. Then jack up that side of the engine. This should give you a little room to work with. I've got the problem of a leaking freeze/expansion plug behind the right side motor mount, on my 440 that is stuffed into my Coronet. I'll probably end up having to remove the entire motor mount assembly, to get to it.

Honestly, I'll take the 383 over the 396 or the 390, any day. I can't say much about the 390, but I do know that once the 396 is setup right, it's a good engine, unless it doesn't have 4 bolt mains. The Chevy engines had the highest nickle content of the GM engines, however they were still prone to breaking under performance applications and thus needed the 4 bolt mains. The MOPAR engines had plenty of nickle content to not need the 4-bolt mains, unless you were getting into some real serious power.
Old 06-09-2002, 11:45 AM
Inactive User

try using MARINE freeze out plugz , that way they won't rust . i put them in my block and heads .i hope i'm in time because it's been a few days good luck !
Old 06-09-2002, 05:47 PM

Finally got my freeze plug replaced. It only took me about 6 hours. Most of that was getting the three bolts out of the motor mount bracket, and then getting the old plug out. Due to the tight area, I replaced it with a neoprene plug.

What's funny is that the company that installed the engine (for the previous owner) replaced all of the freeze plugs except that one (and probably the one behind the other motor mount). Where is the logic in that. They had the engine out of the car and didn't replace the freeze plugs that are near impossible to get at, while the engine is in the car.